Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A new story. K1 vs CR-1. What would you do if you could do it all over again?

A new story. K1 vs CR-1. What would you do if you could do it all over again?

Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A new story. K1 vs CR-1. What would you do if you could do it all over again?

Others have addressed this already, so I will merely point out for the general audience that what we have here is another example of how not using correct terminology can cause misunderstanding. Although the term 'green card' is universally used, what it really is is the Permanent Resident ID card.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by LDN2CHS
3. When my AOS is approved/accepted, will I be a full US citizen with Green Card
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

LDN2CHS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A new story. K1 vs CR-1. What would you do if you could do it all over again?

We've decided to go down the K-1 visa route and are in the process of putting together the application. I was suprised to learn (via this site) that there is much more to complete than just the I-129f...the USCIS site doesn't seem to highlight the need for the other documents.

The only issue I have is passport photos - is there anyway I can have them printer by her local CVS pharmacy or similar? I am trying to avoid wasting time having US Style photos taken and sending them via snail mail. Are they as strict with the quality of image and 'US style' sizing as they will be at the Embassy when issuing my K-1 visa?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We've decided to go down the K-1 visa route and are in the process of putting together the application. I was suprised to learn (via this site) that there is much more to complete than just the I-129f...the USCIS site doesn't seem to highlight the need for the other documents.
Sure it does. It's all in the I-129F instructions, found at www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-129F.

The only issue I have is passport photos - is there anyway I can have them printer by her local CVS pharmacy or similar? I am trying to avoid wasting time having US Style photos taken and sending them via snail mail. Are they as strict with the quality of image and 'US style' sizing as they will be at the Embassy when issuing my K-1 visa?
If you are in the USA, you can have them taken by a local CVS pharmacy (or other), if they do passport pictures, yes. I'm not sure how you'll get them done by a US local pharmacy if you are not in the USA, though. The pharmacy has to actually take your picture in person.

You'll have to provide your fiancee with some other original documents for the I-129F submittal, anyway, which I assume you will send either snail-mail or via Fed Ex, DHL, UPS, etc. Might as well get the US-style passport photos done in the UK and include one in that package.

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sure it does. It's all in the I-129F instructions, found at www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-129F.

If you are in the USA, you can have them taken by a local CVS pharmacy (or other), if they do passport pictures, yes. I'm not sure how you'll get them done by a US local pharmacy if you are not in the USA, though. The pharmacy has to actually take your picture in person.

You'll have to provide your fiancee with some other original documents for the I-129F submittal, anyway, which I assume you will send either snail-mail or via Fed Ex, DHL, UPS, etc. Might as well get the US-style passport photos done in the UK and include one in that package.

Rene
I have scanned my signed copy of the G-325A and scanned a page of my Password which contains a US Immigation stamp from September 2011.

Do they need original copies or are scans sufficient?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have scanned my signed copy of the G-325A and scanned a page of my Password which contains a US Immigation stamp from September 2011.

Do they need original copies or are scans sufficient?
Original signed G-325A.
Original signed letter of intent.
Scanned evidence (such as passport page showing US stamp) is OK.

For the passport photo, you can take your own, making sure it meets all the US-style requirements, email her the photo, and have her print it out on her side, in color, on photo paper. But since you have to send her other originals anyway, I'm thinking it's easier just to get the photo done in the UK and send it along with the other original documents.

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
The Dept of State gives the specifications and examples of good/bad passport photos.
And they have a DIY tool to make your own.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...oreq_5333.html (scroll down for photo tool)

I used it last week to make photos on my home printer for passport renewal, but you could also take the jpg file to CVS and print.

I lost track of who's sending which way in your case, but everything ends up with the US citizen who files the petition. So the UK person could email the jpg. But the UK person still has to sign the G-325A and the letter of intent and send via snail mail.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Moxie and Rene!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Hey all, another question I'm afraid. I've read a few times on here that a visa filed directly in London takes around 5 months...are they talking about an I-130 (CR-1)?

Would it be simpler for my USC girlfriend to get the correct visa to come to the UK to get married (not sure how long that visa takes though) and then for us to apply for the CR-1 here in London once married?

Sorry for the vagueness, I've taken in so much info from this site in the past week
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:11 am

Hey all, another question I'm afraid. I've read a few times on here that a visa filed directly in London takes around 5 months...are they talking about an I-130 (CR-1)?

Would it be simpler for my USC girlfriend to get the correct visa to come to the UK to get married (not sure how long that visa takes though) and then for us to apply for the CR-1 here in London once married?

Sorry for the vagueness, I've taken in so much info from this site in the past week
1. Lately even the I-130 filed directly in London is taking 8 to 10 months, so that information (5 months) is out of date.

2. Your USC wife would have to be resident in the UK for at least 6 months in order to qualify to file the I-130 there. So unless you really ARE planning to live in the UK for a while before immigrating to the USA, don't bother with her coming to the UK just to file the I-130 there.

Rene
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi there, another quick question in regards to relationship evidence:

Do online booking confirmations weigh as heavily as an actual ticket stub? I tend to throw away the little ticket tear off that has your seat number...however I still have all of my email confirmations. I will also show stamps in my passport...but just want to add as much as possible.

Cheers

Luke
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:38 pm

Hi there, another quick question in regards to relationship evidence:

Do online booking confirmations weigh as heavily as an actual ticket stub? I tend to throw away the little ticket tear off that has your seat number...however I still have all of my email confirmations. I will also show stamps in my passport...but just want to add as much as possible.

Cheers

Luke
You can only show what you have. If you no longer have the ticket stubs, you can't show them. Go ahead and use the confirmations and the passport stamps, which show the matching dates.

Rene
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:21 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Quality no, but don't push it too far. Same for the size, but get the proportions right.

Regards, JEff

Are [USCIS] as strict with the quality of image and 'US style' sizing as they will be at the Embassy when issuing my K-1 visa?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:25 pm

No. A boarding pass is a much better indication that you took the trip. But Rene is correct that you cannot submit what you haven't got, and that immigration stamps in the passport are the best evidence that you made the trip.

Regards, JEff

Do online booking confirmations weigh as heavily as an actual ticket stub?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Hello again - I suppose it was only a matter of time before I came back with more questions!

My partner has changed her name twice since birth, and is not sure that she has the paperwork which explains this. It has been a minor issue previously when renewing a passport.

I can see on the I-129f instructions that a valid U.S passport issued with a validity period of at least five years (copy of every page) is a suitable replacement for a Birth Certificate. Is it unwise to simply omit the BC because it might cause confusion? I can see that on the I-129f doc they do actually ask for your BC number so this could cause problems? As for the U.S Passport - does it need to HAVE BEEN valid for five years...or be valid for a FURTHER five years?

Does a change of name (in this case twice) delay the process much?

Thanks in advance.

Luke
Old Jan 19th 2012, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I can see on the I-129f instructions that a valid U.S passport issued with a validity period of at least five years (copy of every page) is a suitable replacement for a Birth Certificate.
Yes, it is.

Is it unwise to simply omit the BC because it might cause confusion?
It is not unwise to do so, no.

I can see that on the I-129f doc they do actually ask for your BC number...
No, they don't. Read the question carefully.

As for the U.S Passport - does it need to HAVE BEEN valid for five years...or be valid for a FURTHER five years?
US passports are usually issued with a validity of 10 years unless you are under age 16 - in which case a passport is issued with a validity of only 5 years. Therefore, to have a validity of over five years, the instruction is clearly asking about the 10 year adult passport. The amount of time left on the passport is irrelevant.

Does a change of name (in this case twice) delay the process much?
No, it shouldn't.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.