Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

New SS card after AOS approval

New SS card after AOS approval

Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:31 pm
Expat Aussie

Location: Gainesville, VA, USA / Alice Springs, NT, Australia
AussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant future
Default New SS card after AOS approval

Hi,

Does anyone know if an AOS approval letter from USCIS is sufficient proof for SSA to issue a new SS card, one without the "Not valid for work without INS authorization" annotation on it? Or do I need to wait until I have the actual Green Card (or maybe the I-551 stamp in my passport)? The folks on the SSA 1-800 line seem clueless about this...

Cheers,
Steve.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New SS card after AOS approval

Originally Posted by AussieSteve
Hi,

Does anyone know if an AOS approval letter from USCIS is sufficient proof for SSA to issue a new SS card, one without the "Not valid for work without INS authorization" annotation on it? Or do I need to wait until I have the actual Green Card (or maybe the I-551 stamp in my passport)? The folks on the SSA 1-800 line seem clueless about this...

Cheers,
Steve.
I'm not sure on that one either, Steve. We're at that point, also. Hubby has the I-551 stamp in his passport, and the Welcome letter, but I think we'll wait till he gets the real green card before going to SS. No big hurry, really....the SS card can be updated anytime.

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:39 pm
Expat Aussie

AussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant future
Wink Re: New SS card after AOS approval

Originally Posted by Noorah101
... No big hurry, really....the SS card can be updated anytime.

Rene
Thanks Rene, I just thought getting my SS card updated would give me something to do while I'm waiting for my GC to arrive :-P
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene, I just thought getting my SS card updated would give me something to do while I'm waiting for my GC to arrive :-P
LOL, you and I think way too much alike! :scared: I wanted to go right over to the SS office, too, and my hubby convinced me to wait for the actual green card. He's a lot more patient than I am! LOL

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:27 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Steve,

Can't answer your question - my wife's Green Card came about a week after AOS approval, so it was a moot issue.

Hopefully you will have the same experience.

Regards, JEff

Hi,

Cheers,
Steve.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:34 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Does anyone know if an AOS approval letter from USCIS is sufficient proof for SSA to issue a new SS card, one without the "Not valid for work without INS authorization" annotation on it? Or do I need to wait until I have the actual Green Card (or maybe the I-551 stamp in my passport)?
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203030
RM 00203.030 Requesting Documents for an SSN Card

B. POLICY - FORM OF EVIDENCE

Evidence must be:

The original document, or a copy certified by the issuing agency or
custodian of the original record.

Uncertified photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

A receipt from DHS showing the alien applied for the document is also
not acceptable. The applicant must present the actual document.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by mdyoung
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203030
RM 00203.030 Requesting Documents for an SSN Card

B. POLICY - FORM OF EVIDENCE

Evidence must be:

The original document, or a copy certified by the issuing agency or
custodian of the original record.

Uncertified photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

A receipt from DHS showing the alien applied for the document is also
not acceptable. The applicant must present the actual document.
Hmmmmm....so since the stamp is actually the I-551, same as the actual plastic green card, just a different form of I-551, I'm assuming the stamp would be the actual document.

But, for example, and NOA Welcome Letter is not.

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:53 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm....so since the stamp is actually the I-551, same as the actual plastic green card, just a different form of I-551, I'm assuming the stamp would be the actual document.

Rene
Right. If you have an I-551 stamp in the passport which states that the bearer is authorised to work, this is enough to get the updated SS card.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:08 pm

Rene
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410
RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien
Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence

B. KINDS OF EVIDENCE ESTABLISHING LAPR STATUS

1. I-551, Permanent Resident Card

2. Machine Readable Immigrant Visa with Temporary I-551 Language

3. Temporary I-551 Stamp
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to all

Hi,

Cheers,
Steve.
The I-551 stamp is sufficient. Once our AOS interview was over we went straight down to the SS Office.(I took the whole day off work, just in case - in fact we were done in 1 hour with the AOS interview).
I presented my I-551 and my old SS card with the "INS Only" limitation. As my new status wasn't in the SAVE system yet, they couldn't reissue the card right away. After about 3 weeks or so, the reissued card was mailed to me. The wait didn't bother me at all.
I wanted to take care of it as soon as possible. For two reasons:
1) I didn't want to take time off work later.
2) It also make a job search easier, with an unrestricted card you use it with a D/L or other ID.(avoids the hassle of explaining the two year expiration on the conditional GC)
Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410
RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien
Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence

B. KINDS OF EVIDENCE ESTABLISHING LAPR STATUS

1. I-551, Permanent Resident Card

2. Machine Readable Immigrant Visa with Temporary I-551 Language

3. Temporary I-551 Stamp
Thank you, mdyoung!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 2:45 pm
Expat Aussie

Hi,

Cheers,
Steve.
Just to follow up on this. I went to the SS office with my passport, bearing the I-551 stamp, which was sufficient to get a new SS card. But, since their system was still showing me as a 'temporary worker', they had to send my info off to the USCIS for verification. They said they would mail me a new SS card in a couple of weeks, if everything checks out.

One thing I wasn't expecting though, they wouldn't give me my old SS card back, they said they needed to destory it. So right now, I don't have a SS card...
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to follow up on this. I went to the SS office with my passport, bearing the I-551 stamp, which was sufficient to get a new SS card. But, since their system was still showing me as a 'temporary worker', they had to send my info off to the USCIS for verification. They said they would mail me a new SS card in a couple of weeks, if everything checks out.

One thing I wasn't expecting though, they wouldn't give me my old SS card back, they said they needed to destory it. So right now, I don't have a SS card...

Wow, we have no even bothered to get Greg a new SS cars. In fact, I think we completely forgot about it! Now two years after the fact, I find out when filing our tax returns (by e-filing) that they have his date of birth wrong on file, so we have to go in and get that changed anyway. While we're at it, I suppose we should check to see if his card says "Valid with INS approval only" and get him a new one.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:37 pm

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100201080
RM 00201.080 Field Office (FO) Disposal of Returned Social Security Number (SSN) Cards

B. PROCEDURE

2. Card Returned With Request For Replacement Card or New SSN

If the applicant has a card and requests a replacement card (duplicate or corrected) or a new SSN:

Ask the applicant to return the old SSN card. (If the applicant does not have the card with him or her, remind the applicant to return the old card to SSA for destruction or to keep the old card in a secure place [not in a wallet or purse]).

NOTE: Do not forcefully confiscate the SSN card if the applicant refuses to relinquish it. Similarly, return the old SSN card if the applicant requests that it be given back.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:28 pm
Expat Aussie

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100201080
RM 00201.080 Field Office (FO) Disposal of Returned Social Security Number (SSN) Cards

B. PROCEDURE

2. Card Returned With Request For Replacement Card or New SSN

If the applicant has a card and requests a replacement card (duplicate or corrected) or a new SSN:

Ask the applicant to return the old SSN card. (If the applicant does not have the card with him or her, remind the applicant to return the old card to SSA for destruction or to keep the old card in a secure place [not in a wallet or purse]).

NOTE: Do not forcefully confiscate the SSN card if the applicant refuses to relinquish it. Similarly, return the old SSN card if the applicant requests that it be given back.
Doh!

Thanks for the info...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.