Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

new, in process of US citizenship and CONFUSED!!!

new, in process of US citizenship and CONFUSED!!!

Old Jul 29th 2015, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

charskye94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new, in process of US citizenship and CONFUSED!!!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Wow... okay then! To answer your original questions:

About 6 months.

Yes, so long as you filed a concurrent I-131 and I-765 respectively.

That day, if you like.

Yes - but, as you know, you aren't anywhere near to getting US citizenship.

Your passport doesn't become invalid simply because you choose to change your name after marriage.

Looks like the rest of your questions have been answered.

Ian
These are exactly the answers I was looking for. thanks for your help.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 1:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charskye94
How long does it ROUGHLY take?
For AOS, roughly 6 months from filing the AOS package to attending in-person interview.

I saw online that the petition for Alien Relative can be processed in approximately 5 months, the application for travel document and the application for employment authorization can take approximately 3 months... is this relatively correct??
Yes. Although not just the "petition", but the whole AOS. Yes, it can take between 60 - 90 days to receive the EAD and AP after filing AOS.

How soon after receiving the travel document can it be used?
Immediately.

Will I still keep my British citizenship, and just have dual citizenship?
Eventually, if you apply for US Citizenship, you will also retain your British citizenship, and you will become a dual citizen.

Could I still use my valid UK passport, even though I've hypenated my surname with my husbands and my passport only has my surname on?
Until you become a USC, yes, you will need to use your valid UK passport for travel abroad. Just make sure the airline ticket matches the name in your passport, not your green card (if that has a different surname).

If we decided to move to the UK or if I went back for a long visit, etc. is there any chance of me losing my US citizenship?
Once you become a USC, no, you won't lose your US citizenship by spending time outside the USA. Before you become a USC, while you are still a US PR, then yes, you could possibly lose your US PR status by spending too much time outside the USA.

If our future children are born here in the US, I believe they are automatically considered to be US citizens. But would they also be considered dual citizens as well?
If you are able to pass on your British citizenship to them, then they will also be dual US/British citizens.

What happens if we decide to move to the UK, would I have to apply for them to be British citizens?
If they are already British citizens by your passing along your citizenship to them, then no...you don't have to apply for them to be British citizens.

Rene
Old Jul 30th 2015, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely recall something about it being ill advised to use advanced parole when doing AOS from vwp.

Don't forget to register the births with the British Consulate (though it is actually done in the UK now) . This gives them instant access to a Uk birth certificate.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

He loves the UK so I don't suppose it would be a problem with him. The only reason I ended up here is because he had a job and couldnt get vacation time so I came over to see him when I finished college.
Please go to an actual immigration lawyer. Not a website. To be honest you do not sound capable of going through the interview process without some coaching. It is always important to tell the truth to the USCIS BUT it is also important to present your story properly. For example, the USCIS and you disagree on the definition of living in the USA. This is a big problem in an interview.

Normally i would tell people to do the AOS for marriage by themselves but not in your case. AOS from the VWP is not straightforward and is frowned upon. And also you seem confused on very basic knowledge. GET A LAWYER. It will be money well spent.

Finally. I do not know if you realize, but immigrating to the UK with a husband/wife is a pain in the ass. Apparently worse than going to the USA. And you need to be able to prove you can financially support your husband.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

- If we decided to move to the UK or if I went back for a long visit, etc. is there any chance of me losing my US citizenship?

I think thats all for now. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help, or even if anyone even just tries to help.

If you decide to go back to the UK, then you would need to fulfill the immigration rules for the UK to take your US husband with you.

You would need to sponsor him by fulfilling financial requirements; it won't be a case of just flying into Heathrow together.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

sparkleandglitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bewildering
Finally. I do not know if you realize, but immigrating to the UK with a husband/wife is a pain in the ass. Apparently worse than going to the USA. And you need to be able to prove you can financially support your husband.
I agree whole heartedly. Seen a classmate separated from his wife because they didn't know about the change and got married 2 months after this income change came into force. She was well qualified and would never have been a public charge - but he was a phd student so didn't meet the income requirements..

To the OP - Keep an eye on UK politics and immigration policies - returning to the UK to live is even harder.
My husband and I were super lucky - we married just a year before Theresa May brought in the income requirement for British Citizens AND increased the time it took to apply for settlement.
The US actually seems more reasonable in that you can have a family member act as joint sponsor. The UK won't.
If you take a career break to have a child and don't have a job in the UK, expect to be separated from your spouse for six months while you get a job and earn enough to meet the requirements. Your dual citizen kids will be able to join you (with their father's permission of course), but your husband won't.
Sorry to be all doom and gloom but if you're thinking of coming back to the UK at some point in the future, you need to keep an eye on how the system is changing. I wouldn't wish a nasty shock down the line - like my classmate had - on anyone.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkleandglitter
I agree whole heartedly. Seen a classmate separated from his wife because they didn't know about the change and got married 2 months after this income change came into force. She was well qualified and would never have been a public charge - but he was a phd student so didn't meet the income requirements..

To the OP - Keep an eye on UK politics and immigration policies - returning to the UK to live is even harder.
My husband and I were super lucky - we married just a year before Theresa May brought in the income requirement for British Citizens AND increased the time it took to apply for settlement.
The US actually seems more reasonable in that you can have a family member act as joint sponsor. The UK won't.
If you take a career break to have a child and don't have a job in the UK, expect to be separated from your spouse for six months while you get a job and earn enough to meet the requirements. Your dual citizen kids will be able to join you (with their father's permission of course), but your husband won't.
Sorry to be all doom and gloom but if you're thinking of coming back to the UK at some point in the future, you need to keep an eye on how the system is changing. I wouldn't wish a nasty shock down the line - like my classmate had - on anyone.
See also "Surinder Singh".
Old Aug 4th 2015, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Moschino1515 is an unknown quantity at this point

I completely agree with the comments about UK immigration above. I married a Brit, we were going to stay in the UK, but have now decided against it. Even though he met the income requirement and I forked out money for a lawyer, there was still a few things that could have potentially gotten my application denied (because he's self employed). Now, we have just begun the process of him immigrating to the USA as he is immediately considered my family member since we're married (the UK does not see spouses the same way and it's true you cannot have a financial sponsor in the UK, while you can in the USA).
Also, I advise against Surinder Singh route as well. Have done a lot of research into that, and it's not so straightforward as people like to make you think (SO many articles are written in like 2012/2013 before the HO really caught onto that). Yes European law does take precedence over UK law *technically*. But this route is extremely risky and puts you in negative light to the Home Office. My lawyer even told me they really don't like when people use the Surinder Singh route. Also, there is an EU referendum coming up, and (opinions on the outcome aside), it could put your immigration status at risk if you used the Surinder Singh route. Best of luck to you

Just push through, the USCIS seems much better than the HO in my experience so far.