Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

New procedure in London?

Wikiposts

New procedure in London?

Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:25 pm
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about
Default New procedure in London?

After reading many London interview accounts on this NG, I was expecting the following notice. However, my fiance got his appointment letter from London today, and this section was crossed out in pen.
Please note: This office will deal with your visa application as quickly as possible on the day of your appointment, but it is a process which takes the entire day. You will have to spend the entire morning in this office and with the medical examiner and return in the afternoon as instructed before final action can be taken on your application. Should complications arise, you may be required to return to this office another time.
Instead, in big letters at the top is this notice
IMPORTANT NOTICE

Once the issuance of your visa has been authorised, you will be free to leave the Embassy. The issued visa will be returned to you by the Embassy's appointed courier service within 24 hours of dispatch. The cost for this service is 10 pounds and is payable in cash only at the time of your interview.
Does anyone know if they have changed the procedure in London? If so, what exactly does "within 24 hours of dispatch" mean? His interview is on the 25th of March; we are planning to fly back together on the 30th, so there is a weekend in there. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New procedure in London?

I don't know if the procedures have changed. I have my interview on the 19th Feb and was expecting to receive my visa on the day. I wouldn't worry about the 24 hours bit, all that means is that they'll post it to you through somebody that guarentee's that you'll receive it within 24 hours so if you're flying 5 days after the interview on the 30th you'll have plenty of time to spare - you could even go away for the weekend!!!
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bubbadog
After reading many London interview accounts on this NG, I was expecting the following notice. However, my fiance got his appointment letter from London today, and this section was crossed out in pen. Instead, in big letters at the top is this noticeDoes anyone know if they have changed the procedure in London? If so, what exactly does "within 24 hours of dispatch" mean? His interview is on the 25th of March; we are planning to fly back together on the 30th, so there is a weekend in there. Any help would be appreciated.
Just told my fiance about this. Not sure what his letter said. He has his interview on Tuesday, so I'll let everyone know then! Hope we don't have to wait! I hate the thought that his passport could possibly be lost in the mail! And an extra £10 fee?! How much more are they going to suck out of us?

Jamie
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:43 am
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

I e-mailed the Consulate and asked what this would mean for our particular case. His interview is on the 25th and he is planning to fly back with me on the 30th. This is the reply I got when I asked if his passport would be returned in time.
It will be the next working day that it arrives- so either Friday 26th march or Monday 29th, as they do not deliver at weekends.
Apologies if this was not made clear.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:36 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

So they slow down the process for us, and make us pay more for it?

Nice. [/sarcasm]
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bubbadog
I e-mailed the Consulate and asked what this would mean for our particular case. His interview is on the 25th and he is planning to fly back with me on the 30th. This is the reply I got when I asked if his passport would be returned in time.
This majorly sucks ass. Did they say when they expect to start implementing this change? My fiance's letter does not say anything about waiting a day or another £10 fee.

Hopefully they'll be efficient enough to get the passports back as quickly as they state.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:33 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

My husband just got a reply from London today regarding this. They told him that this new procedure will begin March 1. (Thankfully for us, 4 days after his interview.)