Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

New Orleans-Alive and kicking

Wikiposts

New Orleans-Alive and kicking

Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:03 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Orleans-Alive and kicking

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
The Widow went to NO on business a couple of years back and ended in a Transvestite Restaurant.
Not rear ended I hope?
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:06 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Not rear ended I hope?
Purely Business....allegedly
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Yay, Rete!!! Put up a thread before you go and we'll tell you the best "infamous" places to visit.
Will do Leslie. Going to be there on Friday the 13th LOL ... wonder if they still the haunted tours in the Garden District or if Katerina as ko'd that activity.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:13 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Purely Business....allegedly
I'm sure it was for the transvestites as well.

I haven't been to NO as an adult, probably will one day.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:16 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
They got screwed in New Orleans, and they have my sympathy, but its never been a place I've wanted to see. In fact I don't think I've heard any nice stories about the whole state. I remember one about Louisiana cops been worse than the ones in Mexico... Anyway I haven't been there so I can't really comment. I just got back from St Louis, though. Now, theres a cool place to visit

Funny you should say that. Our tour guide for the ghost tour was originally from St Louis and on his first visit to NO 24 years ago fell in love with the city. He called his brother, told him to send him his clothes and sell everything else. He evacuated back to St Louis during Katerina and the immediate aftermath. Said he couldn't wait to get back to NO, hated being in St Louis. I guess it's a case of beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 3:02 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Will do Leslie. Going to be there on Friday the 13th LOL ... wonder if they still the haunted tours in the Garden District or if Katerina as ko'd that activity.
Friday the 13th? Sounds like good luck to me. I think the haunted tours are still going.

You have to go here:

http://www.noma.org/

As a matter of interest, the workers and curators refused to leave the museum during Katrina. They kept moving the art upstairs and saved millions of dollars worth of irreplaceable art. The gardens were amazing when I saw them last (spring of 2002) but I'm not sure how they fared. I'm sure the bottom floor had some water damage as well. However, it is a very sound building and I'd bet dollars to donuts the damage was superficial.

The artistic influence of the permanent collection is primarily French and gorgeous (so I'm a bit biased). When I was there last they were featuring a Russian collection.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 8:55 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

When I last visited MS in June to spend time with the fiancée, we stayed with her cousin who has a house literally on the bank of the river (about half a mile up from Audubon Park) and I got to see NO for the first time.

On out first night their, I got driven around the areas where the levees broken, and around the 9th Ward. It was very harrowing to see so much destruction. I wanted to be able to see it with my own eyes, not just see the areas the media covered. I wanted to take a few pictures of what I saw, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Looking back I really wish I had.

About the city itself, it was amazing. My fiancée made lots of comments about how empty it was, when to me it seemed very busy. Comments I heard from people in shops and patrons echo what was said here, although there was no real damage to the city centre, they have been hit really hard financially. We went onto Bourbon Street one evening, and it was very busy by my standards (and I'm from Newcastle, we know out nightlife), full of atmosphere - and a few girls who didn't realise Mardi Gras was over

There still is problems with crime in some of the neighbourhoods (the weekend after we were there, the news reported 6 people being killed in 2 days in 2 shooting incidents), but that won't stop me going back.
I'm heading back to MS for Christmas, and we are going to spend a night in NO to see the city in Christmas mode and I'm looking forward to it.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:12 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Funny you should say that. Our tour guide for the ghost tour was originally from St Louis and on his first visit to NO 24 years ago fell in love with the city. He called his brother, told him to send him his clothes and sell everything else. He evacuated back to St Louis during Katerina and the immediate aftermath. Said he couldn't wait to get back to NO, hated being in St Louis. I guess it's a case of beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yeah, and I'm going on what I've heard about Louisiana. I haven't been, but I'm sure there are a lot of nice places. St Louis has a lot of great buildings and history - I was only there for a week. I have promised myself that I will only visit places North of Texas in future, just becuase of the heat
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:26 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not just NO, but all of the hard hit Gulf Coast. They fared as bad, if not worse in Mississippi, and they are still, like the folks in NO, living in FEMA trailers, if they're lucky, and/or in tents on their property. The kids lost everything in Long Beach, MS. Their waterfront apartment building and a few blocks in their private home. Thankfully, private insurance paid off on the loss and they had flood insurance on the apartment building. But still they had to live in Las Vegas until they could regroup and find a place inland in MS to call home. But still the land they own is sitting there with a building on it and no idea when they will be able to rebuild.
We went to Ocean Springs MS in May 2005 and stayed in a beach house. Very nice place and the whole road was full with beach houses and some huge multi-million dollar ones. There were also bayou style houses where the locals still lived near to the sea. That area was totally trashed by Katrina.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:44 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
They got screwed in New Orleans, and they have my sympathy, but its never been a place I've wanted to see. In fact I don't think I've heard any nice stories about the whole state. I remember one about Louisiana cops been worse than the ones in Mexico... Anyway I haven't been there so I can't really comment. I just got back from St Louis, though. Now, theres a cool place to visit

So why are you?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:51 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that put the city in perspective for me (had never been able to put my finger on it before) was something I saw in my tour of the Cabildo (and that's with a B NOT a D kiddies ). It mentioned that rather than being the southernmost port of the US, that it actually was looked upon as the northernmost port of the Caribbean.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:11 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer
So why are you?
I could ask why you can be such a jerk, but I dont
Old Aug 7th 2006, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

I only spent an overnight visit in New Orleans but I'd love to go back. It's the only city in the USA that I've noticed is so significantly different from all the rest.

It's beautiful, it's vibrant, it's interesting, it's dangerous. Just wonderful.