Wikiposts

New Life

Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Lucy NY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Life

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have been looking at all the helpful posts.

I am moving to the states early next year ( waiting paperwork approval) and I am so worried about adjustment of lifestyles. I am a little daunted at the prospect of starting all over again. I am 24 and worried as my partner already has a busy life with work and sports and I dont want to infringe on his space/ network so I worried that I will not find friends of my own outside 'our' circle. It would be nice to have my own avenue of interests and people to go out with. Sometimes a girl just needs a good bar, galss of wine and girlfriends

I will happily engage in meeting groups and joining new things to get me out of the house but I am not convinced this will be enough. I do not have kids so meeting other parents is not really viable through those channels and wandered if anyone could offer more advice? Or share thier experiences pf packing everything up and moving?
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Life

Just get on with it, meet his friends, they might have partners you'll get on with etc.

Check out meetup.com and FB for meet up groups and the library, they usually have listings for events that go on.

If you like reading, there's probably a book club, if knitting, a knitters club. Whatever you fancy doing, you'll probably find a club or group to go check out.

And getting work and making friends through work is a good way, but if you can't work, there's always voluntary stuff, help out at a animal shelter or soup kitchen, what ever you fancy, you'll meet people that way.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:20 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with the meet his friends tip. several of my husbands co-workers took us out to lunche or dinner and i got a chance to meet the wives/families. I made friends with some of the wives and see them independently of the husbands. Other friends I made from neighbours, Meetup.com, kids sports etc.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lucy NY
Hi,

I am new to the forum and have been looking at all the helpful posts.

I am moving to the states early next year ( waiting paperwork approval) and I am so worried about adjustment of lifestyles. I am a little daunted at the prospect of starting all over again. I am 24 and worried as my partner already has a busy life with work and sports and I dont want to infringe on his space/ network so I worried that I will not find friends of my own outside 'our' circle. It would be nice to have my own avenue of interests and people to go out with. Sometimes a girl just needs a good bar, galss of wine and girlfriends

I will happily engage in meeting groups and joining new things to get me out of the house but I am not convinced this will be enough. I do not have kids so meeting other parents is not really viable through those channels and wandered if anyone could offer more advice? Or share thier experiences pf packing everything up and moving?
I have to agree with the other answers....there are plenty of things to do with your time and ways to get out and meet people. I do not have a problem with the thought of meeting my own friends in due course. My main problem is that I have no transport, am two/three miles away from anywhere and although I had no car in Scotland and walked everywhere, it's just too hot here for me to even attempt that yet, so can't wait til I pass my road test and can get my own car and of course get my work permit.

In the meantime, I have met a few people via my husband and made friends via FB, I'm also waiting to hear back from the Michigan Gov/state office about volunteering opportunities I would be able to participate in......thought if I checked through them, the opportunities wouldn't conflict with any 'not being authorised to work' regulations.

You'll be fine...........and of course you're only 24 so shouldn't be anywhere near as difficult to adapt as it is for us oldies (I'm 49 in a couple of weeks).....who are maybe a ittle more set in our ways.

Good luck...and, as said you'll be fine.

Tina
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimandtina2008
... I'm also waiting to hear back from the Michigan Gov/state office about volunteering opportunities I would be able to participate in......thought if I checked through them, the opportunities wouldn't conflict with any 'not being authorised to work' regulations.
I wouldn't rely on what they say, they wouldn't know shit and the onus would be on you if you got it wrong. Basically anything that would not ordinarily get paid would be okay, animal shelter, soup kitchen, charity shops who rely on voluntary workers etc.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bob
I wouldn't rely on what they say, they wouldn't know shit and the onus would be on you if you got it wrong. Basically anything that would not ordinarily get paid would be okay, animal shelter, soup kitchen, charity shops who rely on voluntary workers etc.
Thanks for the input - I had thought about that already, so don't worry I will double check.

On the bright side - I just passed my road test WooHoo!! So tomorrow I'm off the SOS office to get my temporary licence