Reload this Page >

New filing fees and I-751?

Wikiposts

New filing fees and I-751?

Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

noone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New filing fees and I-751?

Hi, I'm in the process of filing I-751 as my conditional status expires on October 31st. 90 days prior to that would be July 31st. However the new fees start on July 30th. Am I going to be fine if I send the package on July 29? I am wondering if USCIS counts 90 days since they receive it or when it is postmarked? Just one day can cost me $270 more. What a luck?!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

AZ_751 is just really niceAZ_751 is just really niceAZ_751 is just really niceAZ_751 is just really niceAZ_751 is just really niceAZ_751 is just really niceAZ_751 is just really niceAZ_751 is just really nice
Default Re: New filing fees and I-751?

Originally Posted by noone
Hi, I'm in the process of filing I-751 as my conditional status expires on October 31st. 90 days prior to that would be July 31st. However the new fees start on July 30th. Am I going to be fine if I send the package on July 29? I am wondering if USCIS counts 90 days since they receive it or when it is postmarked? Just one day can cost me $270 more. What a luck?!
You are eligible to apply after 08/02 (count 90 days, not 3 months, backwards from oct 31st). If they receive it before that day, they will prolly send it back.

Last edited by AZ_751; Jul 10th 2007 at 9:51 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm in the process of filing I-751 as my conditional status expires on October 31st. 90 days prior to that would be July 31st.
No, 90 days is not July 31... it's August 2. So, you'll end up paying the higher fees. That sucks, but that's life in the wonderful world of US immigration.

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:43 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, 90 days is not July 31... it's August 2. So, you'll end up paying the higher fees. That sucks, but that's life in the wonderful world of US immigration.

Ian
Ian's right -- 90 days before October 31st is August 2nd. Don't confuse 90 days with 3 months -- they're not always the same!

This calculator might be of help: What Date Is It in X Days?

Just make sure you switch it from "Add" to "Subtract" before you calculate if you use October 31st as your starting date.

Just also wanted to say, that sucks big time. I'm really sorry!!

~ Jenney
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

noone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AZ_751
You are eligible to apply after 08/02 (count 90 days, not 3 months, backwards from oct 31st). If they receive it before that day, they will prolly send it back.
I miscalculated, all of you are right, it is August second.

Just also wanted to say, that sucks big time. I'm really sorry!!

~ Jenney
Thank you Jenney it really sucks. I am mad but what can I do? Btw, I called USCIS today and they told me they count 90 days since when it was postmarked not when they receive it or when the check is cashed.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Buzzy Muffle is an unknown quantity at this point

I miscalculated, all of you are right, it is August second.

Thank you Jenney it really sucks. I am mad but what can I do? Btw, I called USCIS today and they told me they count 90 days since when it was postmarked not when they receive it or when the check is cashed.
We feel your pain. My husband's green card expires 10/27/07. That makes our 90 days July 29th...SUNDAY!!!

Can we get mail postmarked on a Sunday? Would it be booted back to us if we mailed it on Saturday, the 28th?

Any help is appreciated!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy Muffle
We feel your pain. My husband's green card expires 10/27/07. That makes our 90 days July 29th...SUNDAY!!!

Can we get mail postmarked on a Sunday?
You're not supposed to postmark anything ahead of the day it's going to be mailed out. Therefore, if you postmark it Sunday, but it doesn't get delivered out until Monday, you've committed mail fraud. The postmark should match the date it actually gets mailed out. Our postmaster at work has explained this to us many times, as we have a postage meter, and if we postmark outgoing mail after he's been by to pick it up for the day, we have to set the date ahead to show it postmarked the next day when it will actually go out.

Would it be booted back to us if we mailed it on Saturday, the 28th!
My guess is that yes, it will get returned to you if you postmark it before the 90 day window.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 16th 2007, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You're not supposed to postmark anything ahead of the day it's going to be mailed out. Therefore, if you postmark it Sunday, but it doesn't get delivered out until Monday, you've committed mail fraud. The postmark should match the date it actually gets mailed out. Our postmaster at work has explained this to us many times, as we have a postage meter, and if we postmark outgoing mail after he's been by to pick it up for the day, we have to set the date ahead to show it postmarked the next day when it will actually go out.

My guess is that yes, it will get returned to you if you postmark it before the 90 day window.

Best Wishes,
Rene
We weren't thinking along the lines of postmarking it ourselves. (We don't have a postage meter.) But good advice for anyone thinking of doing this.

Since I posted, I found a UPS Store open on Sunday. I'll call them tomorrow to find out how they date packages brought in on Sunday.

Thanks for your help, Rene!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 2:54 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy Muffle
We weren't thinking along the lines of postmarking it ourselves. (We don't have a postage meter.) But good advice for anyone thinking of doing this.

Since I posted, I found a UPS Store open on Sunday. I'll call them tomorrow to find out how they date packages brought in on Sunday.

Thanks for your help, Rene!

DHL will do Sunday pickup for next day delivery for an additional charge.

http://www.dhl-usa.com/resources/DHL...ducts_2005.pdf

Go to page 4
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:40 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

http://www.dhl-usa.com/resources/DHL...ducts_2005.pdf

Go to page 4
What date are they putting on the petition itself? That can't be after the postmarked date either.

To me, "eligible to apply" means that the date on the form would have to be within the 90 day window, and THEN it can be mailed. It could be mailed on the same day, I guess, but still...........

I sure wouldn't chance getting the whole thing back for a couple hundred dollars. I know it's a lot of $$$ but, that's just me.

~SecretGarden

never mind, I just read their dates.

Last edited by SecretGarden; Jul 17th 2007 at 5:42 am. Reason: stupid me
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Thanks so much for that! The kicker is that the additional charge is $200 for a Sunday pickup! At least it gives us the option of giving our money to DHL instead.

We appreciate the help, Rete!