Wikiposts

New DS-230 II Question

Old Oct 30th 2002, 7:06 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default New DS-230 II Question

Hi Folks,

Anyone seen the new DS-230 part 2, it has a section that says

"33b. Consent of Disclosure: I authorise disclosure of information from this form to thte Immigration and Natuarlizations Service (INS), the Social Security Administration (SSA), such other US Government Agencies as may be required for the purpose of assigning me an SSN and issuing me a Social Security card, and I authorize ths SSA to share my SSN with the INS

YES NO

The applicant's response does not limit or restrict the Governments's ability to obtain his or her SSN, or other information on this form, for enforement or other purposes as authorized by law"

What the hell does that mean and why has it appeared now?

Does this mean that my spent conviction will be bounded around? In the UK if you are convicted of a misdemenour after a certain period of time (dependent on the sentence) the conviction is spent and you (legally) have no obligation to disclose the conviction. Obviously you must for the INS but if you go for a job you need never tell anyone.

So my question is if I tick yes will my spent conviction be out there and if any employer checks it will flag up? If I tick No it still says the information is available - in that case whats the point of the friggin' question if it doesn't matter what you put?

Angry of Soham
Old Oct 30th 2002, 7:09 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, in my rage and fury I forgot. For those who want to see it the new DS 230 part II can be found here

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/7988.pdf

If anyone wants me I will out the back kicking the cat.

Patrick

Disclaimer: Please note, no cats where injured during the writing of this thread.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 10:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick

Don't kick the cat. If you cuddle it and stroke it nicely the purring will do more to soothe your nerves than kicking it into the neighbor's yard.

I think you are being overly concerned about something that will not occur. First off examining the facts you will find that your spent conviction will become part and parcel of your INS file regardless of this form. Also SSA has now been told it must verify your status with INS before issuing you a SS card. This in most likelihood does not include your history of convictions, past, present or future, as SS numbers are held by all working adults in the US regardless of where they are living in relation to the prison fences.

Other US governmental agencies requiring this information will have been given it regardless as well. For example, the FBI, CIA. The information you provide will one day appear on the database of the INS and will accessible to these agencies at a keystroke when they clear your name for their name and fingerprint checks.

It is highly unlikely that it will become common knowledge to prospective employers as they are not authorized to check you through INS. However, if you become a US citizen and apply for a position with a government agency that requires a security clearance.

Rete
Old Oct 31st 2002, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

My, how those 15 pints of Lager nights come back and haunt you !!!
Old Oct 31st 2002, 12:52 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: New DS-230 II Question

Calm down - this is supposed to help you! The idea is that the SSA get told
about you in advance to make your SSN available sooner. They won't get to
know all about your criminal past. However, a potential employer is within
their rights to ask about that if they want.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
"Patrick" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Folks,
    > Anyone seen the new DS-230 part 2, it has a section that says
    > "33b. Consent of Disclosure: I authorise disclosure of information
    > from this form to thte Immigration and Natuarlizations Service (INS),
    > the Social Security Administration (SSA), such other US Government
    > Agencies as may be required for the purpose of assigning me an SSN and
    > issuing me a Social Security card, and I authorize ths SSA to share my
    > SSN with the INS
    > YES NO
    > The applicant's response does not limit or restrict the Governments's
    > ability to obtain his or her SSN, or other information on this form, for
    > enforement or other purposes as authorized by law"
    > What the hell does that mean and why has it appeared now?
    > Does this mean that my spent conviction will be bounded around? In the
    > UK if you are convicted of a misdemenour after a certain period of time
    > (dependent on the sentence) the conviction is spent and you (legally)
    > have no obligation to disclose the conviction. Obviously you must for
    > the INS but if you go for a job you need never tell anyone.
    > So my question is if I tick yes will my spent conviction be out there
    > and if any employer checks it will flag up? If I tick No it still says
    > the information is available - in that case whats the point of the
    > friggin' question if it doesn't matter what you put?
    > Angry of Soham
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 31st 2002, 1:54 am
Pagan Sex God

[i] a potential employer is within

Andy.

--[/url][/q1]
Yes they do, and by UK law I have obligation to tell them as the conviction is considered spent (gone).

Thanks everyone

Patrick (and Harry the cat who has now come out of hiding from under the bed in spare room)
Old Oct 31st 2002, 1:54 am
Pagan Sex God

[i] ...a potential employer is within

Andy.

--[/url][/q1]
Yes they do, and by UK law I have obligation to tell them as the conviction is considered spent (gone).

Thanks everyone

Patrick (and Harry the cat who has now come out of hiding from under the bed in spare room)
Old Oct 31st 2002, 1:56 am
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Patrick

Thanks everyone

1. Why did that come up twice?

2. That should read "by UK law I have NO obligation to tell them"

Patrick

hopefully this will only go on once

hopefully this will only go on once
Old Oct 31st 2002, 2:14 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick

Thanks everyone

Patrick,
Does this "spent conviction" have anything to do with your new moniker as "Pagan Sex God"? Just curious.
~SecretGarden