Nervous Husband

Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

redtalent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nervous Husband

My husband (UKC) is very worried that he won't get his visa to come live in the states. He has no criminal record and is perfectly healthy. I keep telling him that there is nothing to worry about but he disagrees. I want to get a head start on planning some things but he wants to wait until he is officially living here to do ANYTHING. Is there really anything to worry about? They don't just turn down people do they?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

chris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervous Husband

Im pretty sure its very very rare for them to reject an application for no reason but they do have the right to reject it. From what you have said there is no obvious reason why he would be denied. Criminal past is usually an issue but as you say he has none.

Hope it works out.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redtalent
My husband (UKC) is very worried that he won't get his visa to come live in the states. He has no criminal record and is perfectly healthy. I keep telling him that there is nothing to worry about but he disagrees. I want to get a head start on planning some things but he wants to wait until he is officially living here to do ANYTHING. Is there really anything to worry about? They don't just turn down people do they?
They don't just deny people for no good reason, no. Can he get more specific with you about WHY he thinks he might be denied?

Some things I agree, shouldn't be done until you have a visa in hand, such as quit work or sell the house.

What is it you want to do ahead of time that he's balking at?

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was worried too. I too have no criminal record or health issues, but it's in my nature to worry In my case I fixated on the fact that I was my own joint sponsor for the I-864 because I was transferring my job from the UK to the US end of my company and so could count the income from it as continuing.

Anyway, it was an absolutely painless process. The Consular Officer was a very nice young American lady who asked me if I was excited to be moving to the US. I think that was the point where my worries evaporated and I realised that yes, in fact I was!

Oh yeah and the ConOff didn't bat an eyelid at my using my job income - she just asked me exactly what a "JavaScript Engineer" did (web development) and how long I'd been with the company in the UK (2 years) and that was it.

So tell your husband not to worry, and maybe slip a sleeping pill in his drink the night before his interview date. I could have done with one!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

He says he's worried because he thinks he might have some debt but it might also be just his ex-wife that has it. No has tried to contact him about collecting anything so I don't think he has anything to worry about in that aspect.
We are planning on having a religious wedding ceremony (we got married at the courthouse) so our families can celebrate with us. I want to get started now so his family knows how long they have to save up money to come over to the US.
Hopefully it's as painless as you say!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

He says he's worried because he thinks he might have some debt but it might also be just his ex-wife that has it. No has tried to contact him about collecting anything so I don't think he has anything to worry about in that aspect.
You can assure him that having any debt in the UK (whether his own or his ex's) does not factor into his Immigrant Visa approval at all.

We are planning on having a religious wedding ceremony (we got married at the courthouse) so our families can celebrate with us. I want to get started now so his family knows how long they have to save up money to come over to the US.
A typical Immigrant Visa process takes around 8 - 10 months from filing I-130 to getting visa. You can make some tentative plans, and tell people it will be about this long. But you shouldn't pay any money on anything that can't be refunded (or changed for free). No one should buy a ticket to the USA for any specific date (unless they don't mind changing it for a fee). None of that sort of thing should be done until after he has his visa in hand.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Great! We weren't going to put any money down on anything. I just want to get a general date set so his family knows about when they'll be coming over.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he's worried about moving? I would be nervous I think. I got nervous about my DH getting his visa.. to me, knowlege is power. The more I have learned, the less concerned I now know I should have been. (?)

There is a specific list of people ineligible to receive visas (and there are waivers for most of those too). If he has never claimed to be a US citizen or been a drug lord, it will work out eventually.
If you're a regular redblooded vanilla family, it will work out sooner than later.
(you'd have to be pretty darn weird to be 'not vanilla' before anyone asks. we've seen more interesting family configurations & lifestyles pass through here than you can imagine. God bless the internet, or how would these folks ever have found each other. )
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:30 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The more I have learned, the less concerned I now know I should have been. (?)
I am so glad I don't have to diagram that sentence.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
I am so glad I don't have to diagram that sentence.
That's what I'm sayin..

I'm great in person, really!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:55 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's what I'm sayin..

I'm great in person, really!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I bet his personality is that of a worrier in each and every situation and circumstance. There is little you can do to reassure him and make the worry disappear because he will never accept the fact that his clean living and good health and your ability to financially sponsor him and/or someone else is able to fulfill that purpose is all that is needed to get the IRV.

You have to push him into the background and get on with what you need to do. The only thing that might well delay the approval is the fact that you have not done anything to re-establish the US as your primary residence. That is if you are living in the UK which you don't mention.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 11th 2011 at 1:02 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Im nervous about my cr-1 too, but mainly because hubbys UK visa was rejected due to me not working. I know he has a good job though, so that wont be an issue with my USA application, but im still nervous.

The thought of 'what if' terrifies me, but im trying to remain positive
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

I am living in the US while he in the UK. I will have a joint sponsor but I also have a job. It's really great to hear that he really has nothing to worry about!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Shermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to all

He's not the only one. Even though I have no criminal record, a little debt and have never overstayed, I'm still freaking out. Worried that for some asinine reason I'll be denied and then where will me and hubby be? He doesn't like it here and I'm denied there...we'll have to move to Autralia or live in the Atlantic Ocean! It's natural to worry but if you don't try then you'll never know! xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.