Nervous about my interview

Wikiposts

Nervous about my interview

Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Seattlebound81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nervous about my interview

Hi all,

I have my interview at the Embassy in London on Monday, and I'm really nervous. Not because I think there's any reason that it will go badly, but because I am a worrier and just want everything to go as smoothly as possible!

My situation:
I was born in the UK and met my wife online whilst she was living in the US where she was born (She was born in Seattle). She moved here with her son 4 years ago and they are currently on UK 'Further leave to remain' visas. We have a daughter together who is nearly three now and who has dual citizenship (UK and US).
We decided we would like to relocate to the US so my wife and kids can be closer to my wife's family, as well as so we can have a better standard of living. Jobs in my profession (Computers) tend to be better paid in the US, and property is so expensive here. We have accepted an offer on our house here and the couple who are buying from us are first time buyers living with their parents so are happy to work to our timescales. We really got lucky there
I have had my medical, and as mentioned, have my visa interview for an IR1 visa on Monday. I just want to see if anyone can offer any advice/guidance on if the documentation I will be taking is sufficient, or if they would suggest anything extra.
My wife is a stay at home mom and so her sister has very kindly offered to sign on as a joint sponsor for the I864 form. My Sister In Law has a very well paying job that covers the federal poverty requirements multiple times over, and her husband who she joint files taxes with (so his details are included with her tax returns which she has sent me copies of are included, though he is not a sponsor as he was away on business whilst the forms were being filled out) who earns a similar amount as she does.

Here is a list of the documents I will be taking with me (plus photocopies of all of them).
-My passport
-a photocopy of my wife's passport
-My birth certificate
-My wife's birth certificate
-My Daughter's UK birth certificate as well as her US Register of citizen born abroad
-Our marriage certificate
-My Police certificate
-2"x2" photos
-I846 for my wife showing details of the money we will be taking from the house sale, as well as letters from estate agents and solicitors evidencing this. Also a letter from my wife explaining that she has been a stay at home mom for the last 4 years so has not earned sufficient amounts to be required to file taxes either in the US or UK.
-I864 for my Sister in Law as well as her last three years tax returns (and copies of her passport and marriage certificate to explain name change and evidence US citizenship)
-DS-260 confirmation page
-Photocopy of the medical details I was given at the time of the medical, including vaccination record
-Confirmation of approved petition to apply for a visa for an Immigrant relative
-Copy of couriers confirmation (I paid the extra to have it delivered to our home)

When I see it written down, it looks like I have pretty much everything covered, but if anyone has any tips or reassurance I would REALLY appreciate it.

Many thanks
Old Sep 17th 2016, 1:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervous about my interview

The marriage visa "interview" isn't really an interview, it's more of a chat while the officer shuffles papers and makes sure the file is complete. The questions you are asked might be to elicit answers to fill in any gaps noted but I suspect are just chat to see if what you say is broadly consistent with the information on your forms, and you can rest assured that the decision to issue a visa has already been made based on the file and forms you submitted.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 2:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Will your wife be able to become a UKC before moving back to the USA? It's a good idea to do so, if possible.

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2016, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The marriage visa "interview" isn't really an interview, it's more of a chat while the officer shuffles papers and makes sure the file is complete. The questions you are asked might be to elicit answers to fill in any gaps noted but I suspect are just chat to see if what you say is broadly consistent with the information on your forms, and you can rest assured that the decision to issue a visa has already been made based on the file and forms you submitted.
Thanks. It's taken a pretty long while to get to this point so I'm just stressing out because I'm so close to having the visa and don't want anything to derail it at the 11th hour.

Last edited by Seattlebound81; Sep 17th 2016 at 3:07 am.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 3:02 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Will your wife be able to become a UKC before moving back to the USA? It's a good idea to do so, if possible.

Rene
Seconded, for both the wife and son. If they have been in the UK for four years then they should be getting close to apply for ILR. As the spouse of a British citizen the OP's wife can then immediately apply to naturalise as a British citizen and providing her son is under 18 then he will be registered as a British citizen at the same time.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
I'm assuming UKC is UK Citizen? To do so, my wife would have to give up her US Citizenship as far as I can see (as dual citizenship is only available by birth) so that would remove her ability to be my US sponsor. Besides, we have no plans to move back to the UK once we're in the US.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 3:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seattlebound81
I'm assuming UKC is UK Citizen? To do so, my wife would have to give up her US Citizenship as far as I can see (as dual citizenship is only available by birth) so that would remove her ability to be my US sponsor. Besides, we have no plans to move back to the UK once we're in the US.
in CAPS

SHE DOES NOT HAVE TO GIVE UP HER USC.

Where in heavens name did you see this idiotic advice?

As for moving back, never, never, never say never. Besides as a UKC she could live anywhere in the EU. Perhaps your stepson would like to do so in the future for schooling, etc.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 3:08 am
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Exactly this ^^ I was shaking like a leaf at the start (to the point a security guard told me to relax) and was expecting something similar to a job interview than what actually takes place. Once your number gets called, you wander over to the CO at what can be best described as an old school bank window.

The actual interview was 5 mins tops. The guy was super nice, asked how we met, what I did for work and then what was my expectation of a NY winter was and if I had a decent coat. He then gave me a huge smile, said I was approved and that his only demand was we had a great life post-marriage and enjoyed everything the US had to offer. I was physically in the embassy for less than 15 minutes (I did queue up early though - I booked a hotel room near-by as I didn't fancy my chances of making it in time from Surrey).

- I flew out to the US a month to the day later

There is actually a video on YouTube that they posted detailing what it's like:

The only bit has changed is that they no longer have TV's - everything is up on a video wall.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 3:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife and stepson do not have to renounce or lose their US citizenship in order to become British citizens. That was established by the US Supreme Court in 1969.

You may not have any plans to do so now but there are too many examples to count of posters on this forum needing to return to the UK with their foreign spouses, who having previously lived in the UK for many years but did not bother becoming a British citizen, only to find that they no longer meet the requirements.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Exactly this ^^ I was shaking like a leaf at the start (to the point a security guard told me to relax) and was expecting something similar to a job interview than what actually takes place. Once your number gets called, you wander over to the CO at what can be best described as an old school bank window.

The actual interview was 5 mins tops. The guy was super nice, asked how we met, what I did for work and then what was my expectation of a NY winter was and if I had a decent coat. He then gave me a huge smile, said I was approved and that his only demand was we had a great life post-marriage and enjoyed everything the US had to offer. I was physically in the embassy for less than 15 minutes (I did queue up early though - I booked a hotel room near-by as I didn't fancy my chances of making it in time from Surrey).

- I flew out to the US a month to the day later

There is actually a video on YouTube that they posted detailing what it's like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzZOvF1EEXE

The only bit has changed is that they no longer have TV's - everything is up on a video wall.
Thanks. This is reassuring.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

To do so, my wife would have to give up her US Citizenship as far as I can see...
With respect, this is total bollocks. If the person who told you this was a friend, I suggest you get a new friend... because that one is an idiot!

Besides, we have no plans to move back to the UK once we're in the US.
Your sense of the future is quite limited. As Yoda noted, "always in motion is the future."

Ian
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... To do so, my wife would have to give up her US Citizenship as far as I can see ....
As several others have noted, that simply isn't true, and if you're basing that on the US oath of citizenship, then you need to understand that the oath is entirely poetic/ceremonial and has little or no impact on anyone in the real world. ..... And there are a number of us here on BE who are dual US-UK citizens, and some who have three citizenships (UK, US, plus one other). There is at least one who has four citizenships!