Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Negotiating a minefield wanting to do it right..

Wikiposts

Negotiating a minefield wanting to do it right..

Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Zeeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Negotiating a minefield wanting to do it right..

OK, it seems from what I have looked into the past few days and also thanks to the advice here is that we should get married here in the US as opposed to waiting to go to the UK (we will have a ceremony there too though). Then my partner and her son each need to fill out a visa application (form VAF4 from what I can tell, is this right??). Then send all the relevant documents along with both Visa's then pray for a positive result and wait a few weeks to a month to hear something back.

Is this right or can they both apply together on a single Visa as the child is a dependent. Everything seems to point to the fact they would each need a separate visa. That's bloody costly to say the least but if its the correct way then at least we know to do so and thus be able to make this as quick and painless as possible.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negotiating a minefield wanting to do it right..

Originally Posted by Zeeman
OK, it seems from what I have looked into the past few days and also thanks to the advice here is that we should get married here in the US as opposed to waiting to go to the UK (we will have a ceremony there too though). Then my partner and her son each need to fill out a visa application (form VAF4 from what I can tell, is this right??). Then send all the relevant documents along with both Visa's then pray for a positive result and wait a few weeks to a month to hear something back.

Is this right or can they both apply together on a single Visa as the child is a dependent. Everything seems to point to the fact they would each need a separate visa. That's bloody costly to say the least but if its the correct way then at least we know to do so and thus be able to make this as quick and painless as possible.
Get married.

Obtain father's written and legally certified consent to let child emigrate with mother, or get court order. (This may not be as easy as you think. Do not leave the US until this is sorted.)

Apply for spousal visa for wife and visa for child. (NB: You may have to move ahead of wife and child to get a job and accommodation so you can provide proof of support.)

Useful forum re. procedure of bringing US spouse to UK (and much else besides):

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0

HTH