Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Need suggestion for K1 Interview 16yrs age Diff.

Need suggestion for K1 Interview 16yrs age Diff.

Old Jul 4th 2005, 3:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need suggestion for K1 Interview 16yrs age Diff.

Originally Posted by Retire to Italy
Hibobby

I think you will be fine but sometimes all sorts of funny thoughts go
through the mnds of those at BCIS.
I reckon the best part of you dribbled down you Dad's leg...
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

jg1012002 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband, then fiancee was from India, and we tried processing thru Abu Dhabi (he was 10 years younger than me). They were very nice, never really asked any questions, put him on administrative review, then promptly denied him stating the K-1 petition had expired -- which they can renew but refused to. Later, we went to Cyprus and were married and filed for the IV in Nicosia. The embassy there called Abu Dhabi and the consular officer in Abu Dhabi stated that it was the age difference that caused them not to issue the visa, regardless of proof. Indians typically do not marry older women (considered a taboo in Hinduism) and the consular officers definitely pay attention cultural differences. Another obstacle they will consider is the Hindu and Christian marriage -- assuming that you are in fact Hindu, are you planning to file under the special marriage act? Have you registered your intentions with the Indian embassy? While you do not need to do these things in the US to marry, in India and Abu Dhabi you do, again presuming you are Hindu.

After our experience in Abu Dhabi, I would never recommend using that embassy, especially since you have an age difference like my husband and I have.

The good news is we went to Cyprus, got married, and received the IV within one week. Plus it was a great place to honeymoon!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 9:35 am
Just Joined

helenneyaz will become famous soon enoughhelenneyaz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jg1012002
My husband, then fiancee was from India, and we tried processing thru Abu Dhabi (he was 10 years younger than me). They were very nice, never really asked any questions, put him on administrative review, then promptly denied him stating the K-1 petition had expired -- which they can renew but refused to. Later, we went to Cyprus and were married and filed for the IV in Nicosia. The embassy there called Abu Dhabi and the consular officer in Abu Dhabi stated that it was the age difference that caused them not to issue the visa, regardless of proof. Indians typically do not marry older women (considered a taboo in Hinduism) and the consular officers definitely pay attention cultural differences. Another obstacle they will consider is the Hindu and Christian marriage -- assuming that you are in fact Hindu, are you planning to file under the special marriage act? Have you registered your intentions with the Indian embassy? While you do not need to do these things in the US to marry, in India and Abu Dhabi you do, again presuming you are Hindu.

After our experience in Abu Dhabi, I would never recommend using that embassy, especially since you have an age difference like my husband and I have.

The good news is we went to Cyprus, got married, and received the IV within one week. Plus it was a great place to honeymoon!

So they didn't ask any questions?
did you go to Cyprus, only for marraige purpose or you had any connection from there?

Kindly tell me in the brief , how much time it took after you got married in Cyprus and got the Visa on hand.
what are the procedures to be get married in Cyprus.

more info,, plz
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

I had no connections with Cyprus. After he was denied the K1 visa, a friend who happens to be an immigratino attorney, told me to go there. She said they are fair and would listen.

So I called the Embassy in Cyprus, filled out a couple of forms, sent them back to the embassy, they scheduled the interview. Then I scheduled our trip there. We arrived on a Thursday night, were married on Friday, he had his physical on Monday, then we went to the embassy on Tuesday morning.

They did call Abu Dhabi as I said. They asked my husband a few questions, but really grilled me. They asked about our age difference (which I knew they would because of Abu Dhabi) so I had a lot of articles by psychologists and doctors stating that older women were marrying younger men more often because it turns out the woman will have a partner for longer because typically men die younger than women, eg if I married a man my age he would die before me so I would end up alone. The consular office really got a good laugh out of it. He said they were trying to "protect" me from a potentially bad situation, eg my husband only wants a green card then would leave me. I stated I did not need protection. I was ready to take that chance because I believed in our relationship and love we felt for each other. They said to come back after 3 to collect his visa.

It took us one year to get his interview for the K1 visa, only to get denied in August 2003. We went to Cyprus got the Immigrant Visa -- which means no Adjustment of Status here in the states, in September 2003. It was quicker and easier and I often wished we had done that to begin with.

If you go to Cyprus, I do suggest scheduling two weeks instead of one like we did. We did not have much time to visit the country and it is beautiful. When your wife calls the embassy in Nicosia, she can tell them you are getting married and Cyprus and would like to file the IV there. They tell her the forms to complete and send back. They schedule the appointment then but she does have to call back to make sure the security checks are complete before she leaves for there.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

tomasbo will become famous soon enoughtomasbo will become famous soon enough

This is getting me very nervous! I have a 24 year age difference between my fiancee and I. She's 30 and I'm 54.....She's Ethiopian and I'm born and raised in the USA.

We plan on using the Abu Dhabi consulate but now I hesitate. Would it be better to have her interview in Ethiopia perhaps? If so, how do we switch her place of interview? She has not recieved her "packet 3" yet.

I had no connections with Cyprus. After he was denied the K1 visa, a friend who happens to be an immigratino attorney, told me to go there. She said they are fair and would listen.

So I called the Embassy in Cyprus, filled out a couple of forms, sent them back to the embassy, they scheduled the interview. Then I scheduled our trip there. We arrived on a Thursday night, were married on Friday, he had his physical on Monday, then we went to the embassy on Tuesday morning.

They did call Abu Dhabi as I said. They asked my husband a few questions, but really grilled me. They asked about our age difference (which I knew they would because of Abu Dhabi) so I had a lot of articles by psychologists and doctors stating that older women were marrying younger men more often because it turns out the woman will have a partner for longer because typically men die younger than women, eg if I married a man my age he would die before me so I would end up alone. The consular office really got a good laugh out of it. He said they were trying to "protect" me from a potentially bad situation, eg my husband only wants a green card then would leave me. I stated I did not need protection. I was ready to take that chance because I believed in our relationship and love we felt for each other. They said to come back after 3 to collect his visa.

It took us one year to get his interview for the K1 visa, only to get denied in August 2003. We went to Cyprus got the Immigrant Visa -- which means no Adjustment of Status here in the states, in September 2003. It was quicker and easier and I often wished we had done that to begin with.

If you go to Cyprus, I do suggest scheduling two weeks instead of one like we did. We did not have much time to visit the country and it is beautiful. When your wife calls the embassy in Nicosia, she can tell them you are getting married and Cyprus and would like to file the IV there. They tell her the forms to complete and send back. They schedule the appointment then but she does have to call back to make sure the security checks are complete before she leaves for there.

Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tomasbo
This is getting me very nervous! I have a 24 year age difference between my fiancee and I. She's 30 and I'm 54.....She's Ethiopian and I'm born and raised in the USA.

We plan on using the Abu Dhabi consulate but now I hesitate. Would it be better to have her interview in Ethiopia perhaps? If so, how do we switch her place of interview? She has not recieved her "packet 3" yet.
I have no idea.............she is female and you are male so they don't look at that as bad as when the female is older than the male. A lot depends on Ethiopian culture -- is it normal for a woman to marry a man alot older than she is? You need to look at her culture views on the marry because that is what the consulate looks at............although a lot of people say they don't. I am only relating my experience with that embassy. I have talked to many that were males marrying women 10-20 years younger and had no problems with Abu Dhabi. Also, are you doing a Immigrant Visa via Abu Dhabi or K1 visa? That also makes a difference.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

I am doing a K1.....

I have no idea.............she is female and you are male so they don't look at that as bad as when the female is older than the male. A lot depends on Ethiopian culture -- is it normal for a woman to marry a man alot older than she is? You need to look at her culture views on the marry because that is what the consulate looks at............although a lot of people say they don't. I am only relating my experience with that embassy. I have talked to many that were males marrying women 10-20 years younger and had no problems with Abu Dhabi. Also, are you doing a Immigrant Visa via Abu Dhabi or K1 visa? That also makes a difference.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

helenneyaz will become famous soon enoughhelenneyaz will become famous soon enough

Wow ! you really get my mind working now. Its 5:50pm here, I am just have a quick break, and come here to check your response. I belive you both might guide us more, for a failback over. let me go to my home after 30 mins, I wwant really a good talk to you and thanks for writing so much lines for me, I appreciate .
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

That's a nice explanation.
Can you tell me what is IV means? is it kind of consular processsing? and is it only availbale in Cyprus?
what can my fiancee can tell them, whle having appointment and what forms we have to email them? and
where to get married in Cyprus?
I would appreciate if you can give me details .
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Need suggestion for K1 Interview 16yrs age Diff.

Originally Posted by helenneyaz
That's a nice explanation.
Can you tell me what is IV means? is it kind of consular processsing? and is it only availbale in Cyprus?
what can my fiancee can tell them, whle having appointment and what forms we have to email them? and
where to get married in Cyprus?
I would appreciate if you can give me details .

Yes, I would like some further info too...It never hurts to have a "Plan B"!

1) Did your fiancee require a visa to travel to Cypress?
2) Where/how did you get the marriage performed so quickly?
3) What forms were required? Did you convert from fiancee i-129f to the I130 through the embassy?
4) It sounds like you were allowed to attend the interview in Abu Dhabi. True/False

Thanks in advance........
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tomasbo
Yes, I would like some further info too...It never hurts to have a "Plan B"!

1) Did your fiancee require a visa to travel to Cypress?
2) Where/how did you get the marriage performed so quickly?
3) What forms were required? Did you convert from fiancee i-129f to the I130 through the embassy?
4) It sounds like you were allowed to attend the interview in Abu Dhabi. True/False

Thanks in advance........

tomasbo-

ANSWERS :
1. I don't think she will require a visa, as she is US citizen.
2. That information I am asking from jg1012002
3. you have to get married in Cybrus and file for I-130 , I-129f approval will not be having any meaning after marraige, only I-130 .
4. my fiancee had taken a permisiion from ABU DHABI , by email, they repalied positive by 3 words " you may come" .

I will try my best, but I want to have some other options on hand what jg1012002 has explained.

jg1012002 - Sill I am waiting for your reply for my earlier questions, kindly drop me an email at [email protected] for our further communication.
your information and experience seems to me a candle in the the dark sky. PLsss keep in touch.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:02 pm

bigz is on a distinguished road

i mean im 21 and my other half is 34... so there is like
13 years between us, and age is'nt everything as long as you love
each other, love will shine through everything.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helenneyaz
tomasbo-

ANSWERS :
1. I don't think she will require a visa, as she is US citizen.
2. That information I am asking from jg1012002
3. you have to get married in Cybrus and file for I-130 , I-129f approval will not be having any meaning after marraige, only I-130 .
4. my fiancee had taken a permisiion from ABU DHABI , by email, they repalied positive by 3 words " you may come" .

I will try my best, but I want to have some other options on hand what jg1012002 has explained.

jg1012002 - Sill I am waiting for your reply for my earlier questions, kindly drop me an email at [email protected] for our further communication.
your information and experience seems to me a candle in the the dark sky. PLsss keep in touch.
Thanks, but my question was to jg1012002 also.

1)I asked if her fiancee required a visa to travel to Cyprus, not her.
2) Looking forward to her details
3)I prefer jg1012002 to answer as she went through the process. I'm not disagreeing with you but simply want her to confirm
4)Ok, but it's always good to get another response. They might not always allow the USC to attend.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

An IV is an immigrant visa. The K1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa, meaning that the immigrant still needs to obtain an employment authorization upon entry and file for an immigrant visa later (also known as adjustment of status).

The Cyprus embassy allows you to file the for an immediate relative (husband/wife). The link for the US Embassy Immigrant Visa for an immediate relative is:

http://www.americanembassy.org.cy/IV...eRelatives.htm

You can download the forms directly from them. It takes a minimum of 3 weeks before you can go for an interview (you do not have to spend this time in Cyprus).

Now this is exactly what I did:

I contacted them via telephone and asked if they would accept my case since my husband and I were marrying in Cyprus. They said yes and to fax them the form, Biographic Data Form DS-230 Part I, along with a copy of my passport and my husband-to-be's passport. This allows them to pre-process the application.

I asked for a list of doctors for the medical exam and called one and made an appointment for the medical exam for the week I would be in Cyprus. You have to let them know you need the results of everything the same day.

I did research to find out what I needed to marry in Cyprus. Basically you need a "Affidavit stating that you can marry". I got this from the US embassy in Nicosia the day I got married. For him, because he was Indian and the Indian embassy would not give us one, we actually went to the courthouse in Nicosia and he did the affidavit there. You take these to the equivalent of a magistrate here in the States, she sets up an appointment for you that afternoon to marry.

I also booked the hotel and asked for a letter stating my husband and I would be staying there from ___________ to ___________ (dates). I also asked the embassy and the doctor for appointment letters.

I called the next week and received the appointment. One week before I left for Dubai I called to make sure the security clearances had been done and they had.

I arrived and Dubai and my fiancee and I went to the UK embassy in Dubai to obtain a Cyprus visa for my husband. The US citizen has to go there with their fiancee because the US passport gets you in the door and allows you to talk.........sounds strange but they will not even talk to your fiancee with you. The travel agencies my husband was trying to book the travel with would not even attempt to get the visa. However, if the US citizen has the appointment letters and hotel confirmation they give the visa to the fiancee.

We actually stayed in Limasol (right on the beach) but should have at least stayed in Nicosia for the marriage, medical and visa. Also, we rented a car and would have been better to rent taxis there -- driving those roads in Nicosia are terrible (they are all in Greek and look exactly the same). The marriage itself is really crazy. You have to go get the license, do the affidavit, go back and do the marriage, then have it attested (which requires going to another place) -- all before the visa interview and we were on a very tight schedule -- Friday we got married, Sat & Sun everything is closed, Monday we did the physcial, Tuesday was a holiday there, Wednesday we went for interview. Literally there was no time for screw ups.

As for attending the interview in Abu Dhabi, I asked the embassy if I needed to attend and they said no. They literally asked my fiancee one question, how we met. Nothing else and took no proof of our relationship. The consular officer in Cyprus was convinced that the embassy in Abu Dhabi had determined before the interview that they would not issue the visa based on age difference alone so I don't think me going would have made a difference.

We waited 4 months just for the "administrative review", which includes namecheck, etc. It was only after I talked with the FBI that I found out they had not even requested the namecheck. Luckily I was in touch with an FBI agent that pushed his namecheck thru the same day. Then on August 10th, they requested proof that he was single...........how do you prove being single???? We did affidavitts from his entire family and an identification card that is used in India which showed he was single. He returned on August 18th with all the documents and they said they would not issue the visa because the K1 petition expired on August 15, even though it is within normal operating procedures to renew the petition.

I think that covered all your questions. If not let me know.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Wow! Thanks for all the details...I guess I'm very much not believing that these people (Consulars) have unilateral power to dismiss your application on a whim, and of course at the same time dismiss your relationship and its validity.

Oh, and how pompous are these a$$e$ to believe that they act in your interest to prevent you from making a mistake.

Jeesh!

An IV is an immigrant visa. The K1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa, meaning that the immigrant still needs to obtain an employment authorization upon entry and file for an immigrant visa later (also known as adjustment of status).

The Cyprus embassy allows you to file the for an immediate relative (husband/wife). The link for the US Embassy Immigrant Visa for an immediate relative is:

http://www.americanembassy.org.cy/IV...eRelatives.htm

You can download the forms directly from them. It takes a minimum of 3 weeks before you can go for an interview (you do not have to spend this time in Cyprus).

Now this is exactly what I did:

I contacted them via telephone and asked if they would accept my case since my husband and I were marrying in Cyprus. They said yes and to fax them the form, Biographic Data Form DS-230 Part I, along with a copy of my passport and my husband-to-be's passport. This allows them to pre-process the application.

I asked for a list of doctors for the medical exam and called one and made an appointment for the medical exam for the week I would be in Cyprus. You have to let them know you need the results of everything the same day.

I did research to find out what I needed to marry in Cyprus. Basically you need a "Affidavit stating that you can marry". I got this from the US embassy in Nicosia the day I got married. For him, because he was Indian and the Indian embassy would not give us one, we actually went to the courthouse in Nicosia and he did the affidavit there. You take these to the equivalent of a magistrate here in the States, she sets up an appointment for you that afternoon to marry.

I also booked the hotel and asked for a letter stating my husband and I would be staying there from ___________ to ___________ (dates). I also asked the embassy and the doctor for appointment letters.

I called the next week and received the appointment. One week before I left for Dubai I called to make sure the security clearances had been done and they had.

I arrived and Dubai and my fiancee and I went to the UK embassy in Dubai to obtain a Cyprus visa for my husband. The US citizen has to go there with their fiancee because the US passport gets you in the door and allows you to talk.........sounds strange but they will not even talk to your fiancee with you. The travel agencies my husband was trying to book the travel with would not even attempt to get the visa. However, if the US citizen has the appointment letters and hotel confirmation they give the visa to the fiancee.

We actually stayed in Limasol (right on the beach) but should have at least stayed in Nicosia for the marriage, medical and visa. Also, we rented a car and would have been better to rent taxis there -- driving those roads in Nicosia are terrible (they are all in Greek and look exactly the same). The marriage itself is really crazy. You have to go get the license, do the affidavit, go back and do the marriage, then have it attested (which requires going to another place) -- all before the visa interview and we were on a very tight schedule -- Friday we got married, Sat & Sun everything is closed, Monday we did the physcial, Tuesday was a holiday there, Wednesday we went for interview. Literally there was no time for screw ups.

As for attending the interview in Abu Dhabi, I asked the embassy if I needed to attend and they said no. They literally asked my fiancee one question, how we met. Nothing else and took no proof of our relationship. The consular officer in Cyprus was convinced that the embassy in Abu Dhabi had determined before the interview that they would not issue the visa based on age difference alone so I don't think me going would have made a difference.

We waited 4 months just for the "administrative review", which includes namecheck, etc. It was only after I talked with the FBI that I found out they had not even requested the namecheck. Luckily I was in touch with an FBI agent that pushed his namecheck thru the same day. Then on August 10th, they requested proof that he was single...........how do you prove being single???? We did affidavitts from his entire family and an identification card that is used in India which showed he was single. He returned on August 18th with all the documents and they said they would not issue the visa because the K1 petition expired on August 15, even though it is within normal operating procedures to renew the petition.

I think that covered all your questions. If not let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.