Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

need to sponsor my new wife- I'm unemployed

Wikiposts

need to sponsor my new wife- I'm unemployed

Old May 12th 2002, 7:20 am
Steve S.

Default need to sponsor my new wife- I'm unemployed

I am in the process of petitioning for my wife (of 1 week) who is here on a visitor
visa. My question is about the affidavit of support - I-864. I have been out of work
since last July and collecting unemployment benefits while looking for work. The
unemployment checks that I receive puts me above the 125% poverty level needed to
sponsor her. I have tax returns that demonstrate financial health for the last 3
years, house, cars, statements, blah blah. The question is: Can the unemployment
payments be used to show income, or is this not considered income and will be
declined. Should I show proof

of liquid assets in addition to confessing my present lack of employment? I realize
that I can enlist a co-sponsor, but if it's not necessary, I'd rather go it alone.
Thank you in advance for any info.

Steve

Old May 12th 2002, 6:20 pm
Betogethernow.C

Default Re: need to sponsor my new wife- I'm unemployed

Hi, Steve.

Unemployment is not classified as "means tested" assistance/benefits. It is
classified as an "earned benefit", so it is considered as genuine income and
allowable on the I-864. It may be a good idea for you to include whatever assets you
have on the I-864 along with your tax returns. However, it does bear mentioning that
the length of time you've been out of work may be of concern to whomever adjudicates
your petition.

Here's the source of this information and some context for its reasoning:

SPONSOR USE OF BENEFITS Question 4B of the I-864 asks if the sponsor or any member of
his or her household has used means tested benefits during the past 3 years. Do not
disqualify a sponsor based on a positive response to this question. The reason for
this question is to ensure that the value of any such means-tested public benefits is
not considered as income on the affidavit of support. Means tested benefits currently
include only SSI, TANF/AFDC, Medicaid, Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP),
and Food Stamps. Earned benefits such as Social Security retirement, Unemployment
Compensation, and Workman's Compensation may be included as income.

Good luck.

Sincerely, The BTN Team www.betogethernow.com Love knows no limits or borders

"Steve S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am in the process of petitioning for my wife (of 1 week) who is here on a visitor
    > visa. My question is about the affidavit of support - I-864. I have been out of
    > work since last July and collecting unemployment benefits while looking for work.
    > The unemployment checks that I receive puts me above the 125% poverty level needed
    > to sponsor her. I have tax returns that demonstrate financial health for the last 3
    > years, house, cars, statements, blah blah. The question is: Can the unemployment
    > payments be used to show income, or is this not considered income and will be
    > declined. Should I show proof
    >
    > of liquid assets in addition to confessing my present lack of employment? I realize
    > that I can enlist a co-sponsor, but if it's not necessary, I'd rather go it alone.
    > Thank you in advance for any info.
    >
    > Steve