Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Need Someone In The Know To Tell If This Is A Problem. I751 Application Mail Forward

Wikiposts

Need Someone In The Know To Tell If This Is A Problem. I751 Application Mail Forward

Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:36 am
Just Joined

SHAWN DUBIE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Someone In The Know To Tell If This Is A Problem. I751 Application Mail Forward

Hello,

My wife and I very recently filed the I751 application to remove the conditions on her permanent residency. We have a bit of a situation and I want to see if anyone thinks it may be a problem.

We are both university students and move every year or two. Because of this we use my mother’s home as our permanent address for university and other ongoing correspondence as she lives in the same town that we attend university.

Since our last lease concluded in august, we have actually been living with her in her home as our plans in the spring are a bit up in the air and we did not want to commit to a year rental contract.

Very shortly after we mailed our I751 application, we moved to an apartment owned by a friend who is traveling for 2 months and gave us their apartment to use short term.
We filled out the temporary change of address form to have our mail forwarded for the 2 months we would be living there.

Yesterday, we received our Noa and receipt for the filing of the I751 form but, it was actually mailed to our new temporary address. The envelope was hand written with the new address and attached to the receipt form, was the original envelope that Bcis had sent to us which had been returned to them when it went into the forwarding system and had the yellow "forward to" sticker attached as I751 correspondence can not be forwarded and must be returned to sender.

On one hand, we feel very fortunate that someone went to the trouble to resend the receipt after it being returned but,,
On the other hand, we are a bit concerned that it may look bad that the mail was forwarded to another address as we never filed an address change with bcis to this address as we only plan on being there 2 months and use my mothers home as our permanent address.

Please, advise and let us know what you think.
WOULD THIS BE A REASON FOR THE BCIS TO RED FLAG OUR APPLICATION FOR AN INTERVIEW WHICH WOULD REALLY BE A PAIN AND DELAY THE PROCESSING OF OUR APPLICATION? OR ARE WE WORRIED FOR NO REASON?

Thank You
Shawn

Last edited by SHAWN DUBIE; Mar 4th 2004 at 6:01 am.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice
Default Re: Need Someone In The Know To Tell If This Is A Problem. I751 Application Mail Forward

Sorry your post is un-readable due to capitalization of every word. Why?

Originally posted by SHAWN DUBIE
Hello,

My Wife And I Very Recently Filed The I751 Application To Remove The Conditions On Her Permanent Residency. We Have A Bit Of A Situation And I Want To See If Anyone Thinks It May Be A Problem

We Are Both University Students And Move Every Year Or Two And Because Of This Use My Mothers Home As Our Permanent Address For University And Other Ongoing Correspondence As She Lives In The Same Town That We Attend University.

Since Our Last Lease Concluded In August, We Have Actually Been Living With Her In Her Home As Our Plans In The Spring Are A Bit Up In The Air And We Did Not Want To Commit To A Year Rental Contract.

Very Shortly After We Mailed Our I751 Application, We Moved To An Apartment Owned By A Friend Who Was Traveling For 2 Months And Gave Us Their Apartment To Use Short Term.
We Filled Out The Temporary Change Of Address Form To Have Our Mail Forwarded For The 2 Months We Would Be Living There.

Yesterday, We Received Our Noa And Receipt For The Filing Of The I751 Form But,,,,,,,,,, It Was Actually Mailed To Our New Tempory Address. The Envelop Was Hand Written With The New Address And Attached To The Receipt Form, Was The Original Envelop That Bcis Had Sent To Us Which Had Been Returned To Them When It Went Into The Forwarding System And Had The Yellow "forward To" Sticker Attached As I751 Correspondence Can Not Be Forwarded And Must Be Returned To Sender.

On One Hand, We Feel Very Fortunate That Someone Went To The Trouble To Resend The Receipt After It Being Returned But,,
On The Other Hand, We Are A Bit Concerned That It May Look Bad That The Mail Was Forwarded To Another Address As We Never Filed An Address Change To This Address As We Only Plan On Being There 2 Months And Use My Mothers Home As Or Permanent.

Please, Please Advise And Let Us Know What You Think
WOULD THIS BE A REASON FOR THE BCIS TO RED FLAG OUR APPLICATION FOR AN INTERVIEW WHICH WOULD REALLY BE A PAIN AND DELAY THE PROCESSING OF OUR APPLICATION? OR ARE WE WORRIED FOR NO REASON?

Thank You
Shawn
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Someone In The Know To Tell If This Is A Problem. I751 Application Mail Forward

You don't say what service center you are using. Chances are good that adjudication will not be for at minimum one year from date of filing so your worry is groundless at the moment as you will NOT be receiving any further correspondence from them for a while.
I don't find your post difficult to read but it is strange. However, your post does not make sense at all.

First you tell us you always use your mother's address on USCIS petitions and then you tell us that you went ahead and filed a "forward delivery" notice with the post office.

WHY?????????????

If the address was and still is your mother's why have you mail forwarded?

Rete

Hello,

My Wife And I Very Recently Filed The I751 Application To Remove The Conditions On Her Permanent Residency. We Have A Bit Of A Situation And I Want To See If Anyone Thinks It May Be A Problem

We Are Both University Students And Move Every Year Or Two And Because Of This Use My Mothers Home As Our Permanent Address For University And Other Ongoing Correspondence As She Lives In The Same Town That We Attend University.

Since Our Last Lease Concluded In August, We Have Actually Been Living With Her In Her Home As Our Plans In The Spring Are A Bit Up In The Air And We Did Not Want To Commit To A Year Rental Contract.

Very Shortly After We Mailed Our I751 Application, We Moved To An Apartment Owned By A Friend Who Was Traveling For 2 Months And Gave Us Their Apartment To Use Short Term.
We Filled Out The Temporary Change Of Address Form To Have Our Mail Forwarded For The 2 Months We Would Be Living There.

Yesterday, We Received Our Noa And Receipt For The Filing Of The I751 Form But,,,,,,,,,, It Was Actually Mailed To Our New Tempory Address. The Envelop Was Hand Written With The New Address And Attached To The Receipt Form, Was The Original Envelop That Bcis Had Sent To Us Which Had Been Returned To Them When It Went Into The Forwarding System And Had The Yellow "forward To" Sticker Attached As I751 Correspondence Can Not Be Forwarded And Must Be Returned To Sender.

On One Hand, We Feel Very Fortunate That Someone Went To The Trouble To Resend The Receipt After It Being Returned But,,
On The Other Hand, We Are A Bit Concerned That It May Look Bad That The Mail Was Forwarded To Another Address As We Never Filed An Address Change To This Address As We Only Plan On Being There 2 Months And Use My Mothers Home As Or Permanent.

Please, Please Advise And Let Us Know What You Think

Thank You
Shawn
Old Mar 4th 2004, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Wow,
what a formatting disaster i had with this post. I apoligize to those who had to try to read it. I have edited and corrected the problem.

The mail forwarding issue has turned into quite a mess.
like i mentioned in my post, we have always used my mothers house as our "permanent address" for important mail. When we moved last month to the apartment we would be staying in for 2 months, i explained to my wife that we may need to file a change of address with bcis. My sweet, good intentioned wife got a bit confused and filed the change address with the POST OFFICE thinking that is what i meant. we have since corrected the problem and have mail being received at my mothers home again but for several weeks it was being forwarded including the letter from bcis.

Again sorry for any confusion and hope this helps my post make a bit more sense.

Hello,

My wife and I very recently filed the I751 application to remove the conditions on her permanent residency. We have a bit of a situation and I want to see if anyone thinks it may be a problem.

We are both university students and move every year or two. Because of this we use my mother’s home as our permanent address for university and other ongoing correspondence as she lives in the same town that we attend university.

Since our last lease concluded in august, we have actually been living with her in her home as our plans in the spring are a bit up in the air and we did not want to commit to a year rental contract.

Very shortly after we mailed our I751 application, we moved to an apartment owned by a friend who is traveling for 2 months and gave us their apartment to use short term.
We filled out the temporary change of address form to have our mail forwarded for the 2 months we would be living there.

Yesterday, we received our Noa and receipt for the filing of the I751 form but, it was actually mailed to our new temporary address. The envelope was hand written with the new address and attached to the receipt form, was the original envelope that Bcis had sent to us which had been returned to them when it went into the forwarding system and had the yellow "forward to" sticker attached as I751 correspondence can not be forwarded and must be returned to sender.

On one hand, we feel very fortunate that someone went to the trouble to resend the receipt after it being returned but,,
On the other hand, we are a bit concerned that it may look bad that the mail was forwarded to another address as we never filed an address change with bcis to this address as we only plan on being there 2 months and use my mothers home as our permanent address.

Please, advise and let us know what you think.

Thank You
Shawn
Old Mar 4th 2004, 6:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The mail forwarding issue has turned into quite a mess.
The main mess I can imagine (and I haven't gone thru this, because I maintained one mailing address, even while living in different places) is getting your real and true mailing address to BCIS and having them retain it. Since they now have your temporary addy on file, hope & pray that the person you're housesitting for is a good sport and will collect immigration mail for you.

As to 'is it a problem'? What type of problem? You have a logical explanation, should one be required. Best wishes for a speedy conclusion!
Old Mar 4th 2004, 10:56 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you list an address as your residence if you don't live there?

The I-751 asks you to list your residential address, and it also has a place to list your mailing address if different from the residential address in c/o.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

thanks Matthew.

i hoped that i explained what the address issue was.

As specified in the application, we included all addresses lived at since permanent residence being accuired.

having our mail forwarded was a complete mistake and mess that was done as a good intentioned move by my wife.

Regardless,

new development today. We received NOA from INS but,, seems like wrong one. We got ""welcome letter"" from ins stating that you now have an a# and you will receive your card in the mail within 4 to 6 weeks..... your status is conditional for 2 years,, after 2 years... BLA BLA...SOUND FAMILIAR??

That is the letter that is sent after first being granted conditional status.
obviously, this is some kind of clerical error and i have to get on the phone tomorrow as we had this identical letter over 2 years ago?

funny thing is, the day before, we got the receipt saying application for i751 being received and in processing.
Has anyone ever heard of this?

I am not worried about the mail issue anymore as it was an honest mistake and not such a big deal but,
why would we get the original welcome letter resent,, over 2 years later. when we are expecting a wait for the approval for the i751?!?!

HMMMMM

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Why would you list an address as your residence if you don't live there?

The I-751 asks you to list your residential address, and it also has a place to list your mailing address if different from the residential address in c/o.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Zee-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Shawn,

I just read your post about change of address and since i have somewhat similar situation thought, you might be able to share your experience.

My wife and I have a friend that asked us to housesit for them while they were gone travelling around US for about 3 months. We decided to help them out and agreed to do it. But the problem is that their house is in another town about 40-50 miles away from where we live right now. Since my wife has a job to close where we live right now she can't quite it and just move to another city for 6 months, so basically I'm housitting for them "full time", she comes down here at weekends and I go up to our appartment once a week, so we still get to spend quite a bit of time together. I thought I'd put in a mail forward at USPS just for me because I'm applying to a lot of different jobs and it's very important to me to get any response from my future employers as soon as possible. I'd be very uncomfortable waiting for my wife to bring down the mail at weekends. But from what you said it seems like INS will be aware of the fact that I've moved immidiately as soon as they send us any mail. and i think, it will be very suspicious if they look in our file at the interview and see that for some period of time our mailing address have been different from each other.

Please advise what you think. Do you think that this might be a problem at the interview and so it's not worth messing with or should i go ahead and do it?

Thanks a lot.

Zee

P.S. Anyone having any suggestions/ideas please share your wisdom. Thanks for your help beforehand.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Shawn,

I had a similar thing happen to me.

I submitted my I-751 and then 10 months later I moved. I provided USCIS with a letter to Kentucky (AR-11), a letter to my old service center (TSC), and a letter to my local office (Jacksonville). After I moved, I was put on a training period in another state so I had my USPS mail temporarily forwarded to my temporary address while training. I did not inform USCIS of the temporary address because it is not required (my permanent new address remained unchanged).

During my time away on training, USCIS (TSC) sent me a NOA welcoming me to the U.S. and congratulating me on receiving conditional status and that I would be soon receiving my green card in the mail. Like you, I received this NOA in error since I had been a conditional permanent resident for almost 3 years at that point. The funny thing was that USCIS (TSC) sent the NOA to my new pemanent address but because the USPS was only temporarily forwarding my mail, it was returned to USCIS saying "temporarily away). TSC then remailed the NOA in a handwritten envelope to my OLD address. The old address also had a USPS forward on it (to my new permanent address which was in turn forwarded to my temporary address).

So, you see, we have a similar experience. If the envelope says "Return Service Requested" then any mail that is normally forwarded by USPS will return to sender as opposed to being forwarded. If the forward is a permanent forward the sender will be informed of the new address. If the forward is temporary then the sender will not be informed (the yellow sticker merely says "temporarily away" without any forwarding address). This is an odd quirk of the USPS system and can really screw people up that use temporary forwarding (especially if bills or other important documents are mailed). If the envelope is not marked with "Return Service Requested" then all of this is moot and it won't be an issue (i.e. the mail will forward to the new permanent or temporary address).

A long-winded story to say that you are not the only one this has happened to. Especially odd that we both received an incorrect NOA welcoming us to America.

Sphy

thanks Matthew.

i hoped that i explained what the address issue was.

As specified in the application, we included all addresses lived at since permanent residence being accuired.

having our mail forwarded was a complete mistake and mess that was done as a good intentioned move by my wife.

Regardless,

new development today. We received NOA from INS but,, seems like wrong one. We got ""welcome letter"" from ins stating that you now have an a# and you will receive your card in the mail within 4 to 6 weeks..... your status is conditional for 2 years,, after 2 years... BLA BLA...SOUND FAMILIAR??

That is the letter that is sent after first being granted conditional status.
obviously, this is some kind of clerical error and i have to get on the phone tomorrow as we had this identical letter over 2 years ago?

funny thing is, the day before, we got the receipt saying application for i751 being received and in processing.
Has anyone ever heard of this?

I am not worried about the mail issue anymore as it was an honest mistake and not such a big deal but,
why would we get the original welcome letter resent,, over 2 years later. when we are expecting a wait for the approval for the i751?!?!

HMMMMM
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Zee-man,

It has been my experience that mail forwards take much more time than is typical. I bet you that if your wife brought you your mail on the weekends that it would still be faster than receiving your forwarded mail. I find that forwarded mail takes about 1-3 weeks to arrive (when mailed within the U.S.) whereas non-forwarded mail takes 1-5 days. I'd forget about the forwarding - it's much more hassle than it's worth (see also my previous message regarding USCIS mail forwarding).

Sphy

Originally posted by Zee-man
Hey Shawn,

I just read your post about change of address and since i have somewhat similar situation thought, you might be able to share your experience.

My wife and I have a friend that asked us to housesit for them while they were gone travelling around US for about 3 months. We decided to help them out and agreed to do it. But the problem is that their house is in another town about 40-50 miles away from where we live right now. Since my wife has a job to close where we live right now she can't quite it and just move to another city for 6 months, so basically I'm housitting for them "full time", she comes down here at weekends and I go up to our appartment once a week, so we still get to spend quite a bit of time together. I thought I'd put in a mail forward at USPS just for me because I'm applying to a lot of different jobs and it's very important to me to get any response from my future employers as soon as possible. I'd be very uncomfortable waiting for my wife to bring down the mail at weekends. But from what you said it seems like INS will be aware of the fact that I've moved immidiately as soon as they send us any mail. and i think, it will be very suspicious if they look in our file at the interview and see that for some period of time our mailing address have been different from each other.

Please advise what you think. Do you think that this might be a problem at the interview and so it's not worth messing with or should i go ahead and do it?

Thanks a lot.

Zee

P.S. Anyone having any suggestions/ideas please share your wisdom. Thanks for your help beforehand.