Need a K-1 visa but working in Goa

Wikiposts

Need a K-1 visa but working in Goa

Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:27 am
Just Joined

kkarank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need a K-1 visa but working in Goa

Hi All,

I currently work(contract basis) in Goa, India and my fiancee will shortly be applying for my K-1 Visa. I just wanted to know if my application will be routed to the US embassy in London(which is what I would prefer) or would it be a problem that I have been working here in India for like 13 months and hence the INS might want me to attend the visa interview in Delhi instead?

Karan
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a K-1 visa but working in Goa

Originally Posted by kkarank
Hi All,

I currently work(contract basis) in Goa, India and my fiancee will shortly be applying for my K-1 Visa. I just wanted to know if my application will be routed to the US embassy in London(which is what I would prefer) or would it be a problem that I have been working here in India for like 13 months and hence the INS might want me to attend the visa interview in Delhi instead?

Karan
I take it you are a UK citizen. The USC petitioner can specify for the K-1 interview to take place in London, that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you will be back in the UK in time to get any correspondence from the embassy, your medical, police report, etc, and attend the interview.

You might need a police report from India since you're been there over a year. Might be easier to get while you're still in India. Something for sure to look into, before you head back to the UK.

Rene
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:40 am
Just Joined

kkarank is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Noorah, I thought so too.

Yes I am a UK citizen and have been doing research about police certificates. According to this link - http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/...tificates.html

it looks like I will have to get the police certificate from UK and not India(as I am a UK passport holder but residing in India)? Just wondering if this only applies for India or is a norm for other countries as well?

Many thanks.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Karan
Where will you be *living* in about 4 months?

Your interview is based on your residency; if you're living in India, you'll interview there.

Ex: my husband was living in Greece, so he interviewed in Athens, even though he is a UKC. I wondered if he would have to interview in London too, but unlike you, I didn't want him to go there!

If you would prefer to interview in London, you'll need to plan on being resident there by the time of interview, and take extra steps to get your case correctly routed there. If you want to search, there was a case posted in the past few months where the couple was living in Thailand, but the UKC was going to move back to the UK for her interview. Searching on Thailand should do it for you.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Noorah, I thought so too.

Yes I am a UK citizen and have been doing research about police certificates. According to this link - http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/...tificates.html

it looks like I will have to get the police certificate from UK and not India(as I am a UK passport holder but residing in India)? Just wondering if this only applies for India or is a norm for other countries as well?

Many thanks.
You will need a police certificate from any country you lived in for 1 year or more, past the age of 16. Sounds to me like you'd need one from India.

My fiance was an Iranian citizen (for which there is no police certificate available), but he was living and working in Turkey for more than 1 year when we did his K-1. He needed a police certificate from Turkey.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 29th 2010 at 6:32 am.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:28 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

And btw, it's not been the INS for years - it's now USCIS.

And USCIS doesn't conduct the interviews - the Dept. of State does through their consulates.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Karan
Comment: The State Department National Visa Center [NVC] makes the determination where the approved petition goes to and its pretty much of a "pass-through." You pose an excellent question. I know that different attorneys have different ways of handling the problem -- it is often best that the groundwork be laid at the initial I-129F stage in order to avoid problems later on.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:12 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Where will you be *living* in about 4 months?

Your interview is based on your residency; if you're living in India, you'll interview there.

Ex: my husband was living in Greece, so he interviewed in Athens, even though he is a UKC. I wondered if he would have to interview in London too, but unlike you, I didn't want him to go there!
Your hubby did DCF and not a K-1 visa. The I-129F asks you to tell them what US Consulate you wish to use.

[/quote]
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Your hubby did DCF and not a K-1 visa. The I-129F asks you to tell them what US Consulate you wish to use.
Yes, but our "DCF" was one like London's.. there is a USCIS (then INS) office in Athens where we had to file the I-130, then return after its approval for a visa application.
The I-130 also asks which Consulate you'll use.

If this person accurately states their residential address in India, it's highly likely the Consulate closest to them (Consular District) will be assigned.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
If this person accurately states their residential address in India, it's highly likely the Consulate closest to them (Consular District) will be assigned.
Comment: the key word is "residence." It is a "term of art."