Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Need help with PR Visa!

Need help with PR Visa!

Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

JuniorJ194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help with PR Visa!

Hi friends! I’ve been in the US for a couple of months now, and got married just over a week ago! I’m now getting back into applying for my EAD and Permanant Residency.

Im putting together the packet in which I need to send, I’ve filled out most of the forms, but just need to know what people sent in theirs just so I don’t forget anything!

Any help would be appreciated 😆

Joshua
Old Jul 16th 2018, 4:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help with PR Visa!

Joshua ... there is no PR visa. You are looking to file for Adjustment of Status. Along with the I-485 you will file for your employment authorization document and your advance parole. Both of these fees are included in the single fee for AOS and so no reason why you should not complete the I-131 for the Advance Parole, even if you don't at the moment intend to use it. You never know if a relative becomes ills or worse dies while you are waiting and will need this document to leave the US and return without abandoning your pending application for adjustment of status. Also will need the I-864 affidavit from your USC spouse and a joint sponsor if one is required.

There should be a list on each form that tells you what evidence is required. For example, a copy of the I-797 notice approving your wife's initial I-129F, copies of both of your birth certificates, a certified copy of your marriage certificate, tax transcripts for the last three years, etc.

You do not need photographs or wedding pictures or affidavits from friends or relatives stating they know you are married. You will need whatever proof you might have of commingling of your financial lives together, i.e. shared bank accounts, shared credit cards, auto insurance, health insurance, perhaps a letter from the employer stating who is the emergency contact (hopefully, the spouse) and who is the beneficiary on such things as healthcare and life insurance.

Often the same evidenced is asked for one each form. Just make a copy of the evidence and include it with each form. Place each form and its evidence together with a bullnose clip and include everything in one envelope. When the packet is received the forms will be each be sent to different departments for processing so if you do it in this manner, you are almost 90% assured that nothing is missing from each form and its evidence.

If it makes you feel confident, make a checklist for yourself of each form and the evidenced included. Check mark each item to convince yourself it was included.

Very important, to my way of doing things, it to make an EXACT copy of each form and evidence for your file. Since you don't send originals, put the originals with your exact copy. God forbid you get an RFE you have the exact filling that you sent in and you have the original to make more copies. Yes, things get lost at the USCIS so don't be upset if it should happen to you.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 16th 2018 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 5:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This should help you. The fees and such have recently been updated:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Adjus...-3_Spouse_Visa

One of the newer things which is not included in this guide (but it will be updated shortly) is the requirement for a medical in the US for K-1 recipients if the AOS takes more than 1 year. This can be done just before the interview if it is required so there is no need to include it at this point.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information! I’m in the middle of just making a copy of everything. On the Porole form it’s asking me for a date to leave and then come back, I don’t have a particular date I would visit home?

Also so my fiancée is just starting medical school as I’m just starting college (again) but I guess I would be in her emergency contact for the new healthcare she gets through school. I sent my marriage certificate off last week too!

Josh
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:19 pm
Concierge

No date is required ... TBD is good enough (To Be Determined).

I am confused, Junior and without the necessity of going through your 108 prior posts, I want to be sure we are on the same page.

You first say wife and married (got married last week) and now you are saying fiancée. Then you are talking Visa and now permanent residency. Terminology is everything when dealing with USCIS/immigration.

Are you in the US? How did you enter the US? Are you married or just engaged? Who will be your financial joint sponsor on your adjustment of status? Her wife's/fiancée's parents? A friend?
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are struggling with terminology, forms, and down the road, potential interview questions, it may be wise to not DIY this.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
No date is required ... TBD is good enough (To Be Determined).

I am confused, Junior and without the necessity of going through your 108 prior posts, I want to be sure we are on the same page.

You first say wife and married (got married last week) and now you are saying fiancée. Then you are talking Visa and now permanent residency. Terminology is everything when dealing with USCIS/immigration.

Are you in the US? How did you enter the US? Are you married or just engaged? Who will be your financial joint sponsor on your adjustment of status? Her wife's/fiancée's parents? A friend?
Apologies, I have the forms open and was filling them in as I was replying to the post! We got married last week, I’ve filled all the forms out that I will need now. But my wife’s dad filled the affadavit of support for my k1 visa.

Her dad will also help the the affidavit for the AOS too. I’m trying to juggle college applications and the AOS, I will be fine doing it myself.. just need to concentrate on it over the next week!
Old Jul 19th 2018, 12:52 am
Concierge

Just to confirm that you know that your wife has to do an I-864 as well. Rene is the expert on what to do if you and she are living with her parents while you both attend school. The affidavit is different, I believe.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Just to confirm that you know that your wife has to do an I-864 as well. Rene is the expert on what to do if you and she are living with her parents while you both attend school. The affidavit is different, I believe.
we will actually be living in an apartment near the campus while we both attend school. It’s subsidised through my wife’s scholarship! I had her fill out an I-864 too.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 3:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I-864 is correct. Your wife will complete one, and if you are using a joint sponsor, he/she will complete a separate I-864 package.

Rene