Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Need help with Police Certificate from Turkey

Wikiposts

Need help with Police Certificate from Turkey

Old Apr 4th 2004, 9:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need help with Police Certificate from Turkey

Hi All,

Maybe I just need to vent, but also perhaps someone can help.

My Iranian fiance applied for his police certificate in Istanbul last December. They told him it would take 25 days. He was out of Turkey at that time, but later went in to see about it when he returned to Turkey. Since then, he's been getting the runaround at the police station....they've told him on several different occasions, that 1) they don't have the doc yet, 2) they have it but can't give it to him, 3) they lost it and he has to re-apply (which he did), or 4) he doesn't really need it.

I know for a fact that Turkish nationals get their police certificates in a day or two with no problems.

Now, he has his K-1 appointment letter in hand. His interview date is April 14. He hired a Turkish lawyer to help him obtain the documents. On the list of REQUIRED documents to bring with him for his interview, is his police record and court record. He does have one arrest, for working illegally in Turkey, and he left voluntarily. This was about 7 years ago.

He just called me from the police station, where he was with his lawyer, and the police are still telling him he does NOT need the police certificate even though he's shown them the appointment letter from Ankara, stating he DOES need it. They told him all he needs is his court record, showing the outcome of his arrest. Now, he and his lawyer are headed to get the court record. I'm hoping they hand THIS document over easily, and that it is indeed the only one he needs....or perhaps the police report is filed along with the court record.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience, and also if there are any Turkish or Iranians out there who have gone through Ankara, and know what the NAME of the police record is in Turkish. Perhaps Sadegh just doesn't know what document to ask for? But surely the lawyer would know anyway...he's Turkish!

It just seems weird that this document is so easy for Turkish nationals to get, but not Sadegh I checked the visa reciprocity table, and the Ankara website K1 instructions....and they both say that a Turkish police report is available for both Turkish and non-Turkish citizens, and that the document quality is high, and should take only a couple of days to obtain.

We just want to have these in-hand by April 13th to take to the interview! And it's not for lack of trying since last December!!

Rene <---- sleepless at 2:45 a.m.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 2:54 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need help with Police Certificate from Turkey

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi All,

My Iranian fiance applied for his police certificate in Istanbul last December. They told him it would take 25 days. He was out of Turkey at that time, but later went in to see about it when he returned to Turkey. Since then, he's been getting the runaround at the police station....they've told him on several different occasions, that 1) they don't have the doc yet, 2) they have it but can't give it to him, 3) they lost it and he has to re-apply (which he did), or 4) he doesn't really need it.

I know for a fact that Turkish nationals get their police certificates in a day or two with no problems.

Now, he has his K-1 appointment letter in hand. His interview date is April 14. He hired a Turkish lawyer to help him obtain the documents. On the list of REQUIRED documents to bring with him for his interview, is his police record and court record. He does have one arrest, for working illegally in Turkey, and he left voluntarily. This was about 7 years ago.

He just called me from the police station, where he was with his lawyer, and the police are still telling him he does NOT need the police certificate even though he's shown them the appointment letter from Ankara, stating he DOES need it. They told him all he needs is his court record, showing the outcome of his arrest. Now, he and his lawyer are headed to get the court record. I'm hoping they hand THIS document over easily, and that it is indeed the only one he needs....or perhaps the police report is filed along with the court record.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience, and also if there are any Turkish or Iranians out there who have gone through Ankara, and know what the NAME of the police record is in Turkish. Perhaps Sadegh just doesn't know what document to ask for? But surely the lawyer would know anyway...he's Turkish!

It just seems weird that this document is so easy for Turkish nationals to get, but not Sadegh I checked the visa reciprocity table, and the Ankara website K1 instructions....and they both say that a Turkish police report is available for both Turkish and non-Turkish citizens, and that the document quality is high, and should take only a couple of days to obtain.

We just want to have these in-hand by April 13th to take to the interview! And it's not for lack of trying since last December!!

Hi:

DOCUMENT this course of events. If you demonstrate that you have made extreme bona fide efforts to get a certficate and you fail -- then the certificate is "unavailable."

IF [and I have no idea], if there is a recurring problem at the consulate of where they have seen many Iranians unable to get those certificates, you might be OK.

The thing is to DOCUMENT it so that the consulate can justify it when someone examines the file.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 4:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

DOCUMENT this course of events. If you demonstrate that you have made extreme bona fide efforts to get a certficate and you fail -- then the certificate is "unavailable."

IF [and I have no idea], if there is a recurring problem at the consulate of where they have seen many Iranians unable to get those certificates, you might be OK.

The thing is to DOCUMENT it so that the consulate can justify it when someone examines the file.
Thank you Mr. Folinsky,

Each time we run into a snag, I have emailed the Ankara embassy, and let them know what's happening. Each time I got a response as to how to go about getting it. So I do have that documentation, plus notes I've made in my planner as to which days he went to the police station, what he was told, etc. So I believe I am keeping everything well documented. Ankara emailed me quickly last night with the exact name of the document in Turkish, the exact Turkish name of the building to go to, and the phone number of the Istanbul police office to call with questions or help. As it turns out, he and the lawyer were asking for the correct document in the correct office. At least that's good.

The latest, is that that Sadegh and the lawyer went to the Criminal Records offices and requested the court records. They told Sadegh to go to the Iranian embassy and get a letter from them that states he is who he says he is, and that his passport is real. I guess Turkey has seen too much fraud involving Iranians, and need further proof of identification. By the time he got to the Iranian embassy, it was closed, so first thing in the morning he'll go get that letter (which hopefully is not a long process), and head back to the Criminal Records office.

Will keep you posted of the outcome. Thanks again for the good advice.

Rene <---feeling a little calmer today
Old Apr 5th 2004, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

tmushen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Mr. Folinsky,

Each time we run into a snag, I have emailed the Ankara embassy, and let them know what's happening. Each time I got a response as to how to go about getting it. So I do have that documentation, plus notes I've made in my planner as to which days he went to the police station, what he was told, etc. So I believe I am keeping everything well documented. Ankara emailed me quickly last night with the exact name of the document in Turkish, the exact Turkish name of the building to go to, and the phone number of the Istanbul police office to call with questions or help. As it turns out, he and the lawyer were asking for the correct document in the correct office. At least that's good.

The latest, is that that Sadegh and the lawyer went to the Criminal Records offices and requested the court records. They told Sadegh to go to the Iranian embassy and get a letter from them that states he is who he says he is, and that his passport is real. I guess Turkey has seen too much fraud involving Iranians, and need further proof of identification. By the time he got to the Iranian embassy, it was closed, so first thing in the morning he'll go get that letter (which hopefully is not a long process), and head back to the Criminal Records office.

Will keep you posted of the outcome. Thanks again for the good advice.

Rene <---feeling a little calmer today
Rene,
We too had to get a letter from the US Embassy stating that I was an American Citizen and that my passport was real prior to getting married. I would say that this is normal operating procedure in Turkey. In regards to the police certificate you seem to be on your way to getting it so I will keep reading your posts hoping you get it.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 5:12 am

Originally posted by tmushen
Rene,
We too had to get a letter from the US Embassy stating that I was an American Citizen and that my passport was real prior to getting married. I would say that this is normal operating procedure in Turkey. In regards to the police certificate you seem to be on your way to getting it so I will keep reading your posts hoping you get it.
Thank you, T. At this point, we are doing all we can. I just hope we are successful in getting the required documents before the 14th. At least we're on the right track and I feel better after hearing you say you also needed verification on your passport. So we're not alone
Old Apr 5th 2004, 5:33 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Hi Rene!!!

Aww First of all here is a huggie(((Rene))), I can't believe Sadegh does not have his police certificate yet, what is the next thing they are gonna tell ya? that a camel ate it?? UNREAL!!, I am so sorry girlie, I hope you get it on time!!
If not.. have Sadegh call the police station from the embassy, If the embassy hears that he does not need it from the police station.. that will make things a lot different.
Good Luck girl!!!
Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:24 am

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hi Rene!!!

Aww First of all here is a huggie(((Rene))), I can't believe Sadegh does not have his police certificate yet, what is the next thing they are gonna tell ya? that a camel ate it?? UNREAL!!, I am so sorry girlie, I hope you get it on time!!
If not.. have Sadegh call the police station from the embassy, If the embassy hears that he does not need it from the police station.. that will make things a lot different.
Good Luck girl!!!
Thanks Hyper, for all your support We're doing what we need to do, and documenting everything so if we don't have it by the interview, we can easily explain why. I'm not sure the embassy will call the police while we're there at the interview, but they might put us on that nasty Admin Review while they research it further.....thus my hope that we can get everything before the interview!

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:01 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hyper, for all your support We're doing what we need to do, and documenting everything so if we don't have it by the interview, we can easily explain why. I'm not sure the embassy will call the police while we're there at the interview, but they might put us on that nasty Admin Review while they research it further.....thus my hope that we can get everything before the interview!

Best Wishes!
Rene

I hope they don't put you in one of those nasty admin review!!
GOOD LUCK!!!
Keep us updated!!
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:38 am

Default update - 4/6/04

Just an update....

Sadegh went to the Iranian embassy today to get a letter from them, confirming his identity. It seems their conversation went something like this:

Sadegh: I need a letter confirming my identity.
Official: Why do you need this?
Sadegh: I need it to obtain my police certificate from Turkey.
Official: And why do you need that?
Sadegh: For immigration purposes.
Official: No, sorry, we can't issue such a letter.

Sadegh returned to the Crimial Records Dept. and had the following conversation:

Sadegh: The Iranian embassy won't give me an identity letter.
Official: That's ok, you really don't need the police record anyway.
Sadegh: Yes, I do, it says so on all this paperwork I have.
Official: That's only for Turkish citizens. You're Iranian and don't need it.
Sadegh: I've been in Turkey 9 years and have an arrest on my record which the embassy needs to see.
Official: No, you'll be ok without it.

So, tomorrow he and the lawyer are going once again to the Criminal Records Department. This is the last day the lawyer can help him. They will try to get something from them on their official paper that states they won't comply (yeah...good luck on this one!). I also suggested that if they can't get that, then the lawyer could write a statement that even with his help they could not obtain the documents. Another hope is to get to Ankara a couple of days early and ask for the records from the Criminal Records department there, or hope the embassy can point us in the right direction - or better yet, shrug it off (yeah, right again).

Just thought I'd keep an update on here for future reference.

Rene <----
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:44 am

Default Re: update - 4/6/04

Just an update....

Sadegh went to the Iranian embassy today to get a letter from them, confirming his identity. It seems their conversation went something like this:

Sadegh: I need a letter confirming my identity.
Official: Why do you need this?
Sadegh: I need it to obtain my police certificate from Turkey.
Official: And why do you need that?
Sadegh: For immigration purposes.
Official: No, sorry, we can't issue such a letter.

Sadegh returned to the Crimial Records Dept. and had the following conversation:

Sadegh: The Iranian embassy won't give me an identity letter.
Official: That's ok, you really don't need the police record anyway.
Sadegh: Yes, I do, it says so on all this paperwork I have.
Official: That's only for Turkish citizens. You're Iranian and don't need it.
Sadegh: I've been in Turkey 9 years and have an arrest on my record which the embassy needs to see.
Official: No, you'll be ok without it.

So, tomorrow he and the lawyer are going once again to the Criminal Records Department. This is the last day the lawyer can help him. They will try to get something from them on their official paper that states they won't comply (yeah...good luck on this one!). I also suggested that if they can't get that, then the lawyer could write a statement that even with his help they could not obtain the documents. Another hope is to get to Ankara a couple of days early and ask for the records from the Criminal Records department there, or hope the embassy can point us in the right direction - or better yet, shrug it off (yeah, right again).

Just thought I'd keep an update on here for future reference.

Rene <----

Oh my Rene!!
I am so sorry!!, Do they enjoy jerking people around??, man!!, I am so mad at them, why would you request a document if you do not need it?, do they think Sadegh is doing this for fun?
Oh shotie.. I hope everything works out for you guys
((Rene)) here is a huggie.. I know it doesn't help much.. But I am here for whatever you need alright?.
Keep us updated.. and Good Luck!! I will be praying for you!!
Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

WiAnSiempre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: update - 4/6/04

Oh jeez, Rene - What an ordeal! All I can offer is my prayers that you will get this worked out. Good luck and I'm thinking of you. William's interview is a day after yours, on the 15th. We're getting close!

Keep us posted,
Angela