Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Need advice on husband's citizenship

Wikiposts

Need advice on husband's citizenship

Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

andiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really nice
Default Need advice on husband's citizenship

Hello again!

If you read my previous posts you'll see I posted here several months ago about our situation, trying to get my fiance over to the US. Our situation has changed slightly and after all these months of the wedding plans, family, issues, etc. I've kind of let the immigration thing go to the back burner and I've frankly forgotten some of the good advice I've received elsewhere online.

So...My husband and I were married two weeks ago here in the US. I am an American citizen, and he is a British citizen. He went back to the UK after the honeymoon and plans to stay there to work for the next 6 months or so. (I am going to spend a couple months there with him and his family in the interim so we won't be seperated the whole time). I had contacted the USCIS and received a thick envelope of forms to fill out.

Basically our initial plan was for him to just to come over on the Visa Waiver, stay here in the States after the wedding and I'd file the Petition for an Alien Relative. But now that he's gone back to Durham and is going to stay for a several months (maybe longer if necessary) we were thinking maybe there's a different, better route we could go.

Any info or advice would be appreciated. What I've written above is the first question, and the second is that we're specifically interested in getting his work authorization as quickly as possible when he comes over here, and were wanting to know the best way to go about the whole thing with the work authorization foremost in mind.

TIA for any help or insights!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on husband's citizenship

You need to look up the CR1 Spousal Visa wiki on this website. It will explain the process you need to take to bring your husband to the US. If you start now, it will take about 8-10 months to process the visa. Upon entering the US on this visa, your husband will be a Permanent Resident from day 1, and can legally work.

Btw, you did the right thing by your husband going home after your wedding. It is immigration fraud to enter the US with the intent to marry and stay to Adjust Status.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You need to look up the CR1 Spousal Visa wiki on this website. It will explain the process you need to take to bring your husband to the US. If you start now, it will take about 8-10 months to process the visa. Upon entering the US on this visa, your husband will be a Permanent Resident from day 1, and can legally work.

Btw, you did the right thing by your husband going home after your wedding. It is immigration fraud to enter the US with the intent to marry and stay to Adjust Status.
Ditto what Sunflowergirl said.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:16 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Everything as said above - and get started now on taxes. You will have to file married filing separately or jointly for 2009. Separately will cost you more, and jointly will introduce some bother. You will need your 2009 tax return to file for your husband's CR-1. If you plan how to file now, you will only need to fill in the blanks in January.

Are you able to sponsor your husband (affidavit of support) or will you need a co-sponsor?

If you are able to spend a couple of months in England, could you spend six if your husband got you a spousal visa? If you could spend that time there, you could file at the London consulate.

BTW - your husband is a long way from US citizenship - he needs conditional permanent residency.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

andiclare,

I notice the title of your thread says "need advice on husband's citizenship", but I think you mean it to say "need advice on husband's Immigrant Visa", right?

There's no question about his citizenship, is there?

Rene

oops, I didn't notice snowbunny pointed that out. LOL
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

BTW you are not asking for advice on husband's citizenship but rather on your husband's method to apply for and receive permanent residency status in the US (conditional residence-1 "CR-1").

Citizenship/naturalization is a whole different game.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

andiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really niceandiclare is just really nice

Ok I found this thread again!

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I'm not talking about citizenship, but rather his ability to live and work legally in the US. I understand citizenship will come later. Since I posted this thread, we found out that I'm pregnant so we're a bit more anxious to see when he'd be able to get his work authorization here.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:05 am

Hi andiclare, I started a new thread for your new questions here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642775

I'm going to close this thread so you can keep all your questions/answers in one spot. I'll also close your old K-1 thread since that no longer applies.

Rene