Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it necessary to meet fiancee in person?

Is it necessary to meet fiancee in person?

Old Dec 9th 2007, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it necessary to meet fiancee in person?

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Good God woman ...
I think the OP is male!

Ian
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

trasmus will become famous soon enoughtrasmus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by vikasintl
Yes thats what we read that there are exceptions but we dont have any medical problem ...only problem is she is not getting a vacation for more than 2 weeks and we think its not worth to spend approx. 2000us$ just to meet in person for 2 weeks...so I would like to have your opinion about the solution where we can file it without meeting in person.

Also I want to know in case they don't accept the application without meeting in person ...do we have to reappply with a fresh application and have to give new fees again?

At this stage in the game if you feel that it's not worth spending the money to even visit each other, why on earth would you be willing to waste money on filing an I-129F?

You will spend much more money in the long run with filing for the Fiancé visa, adjusting status, removing conditions, and possible citizenship.

Don't you think it's worth spending that $2000 now to find out if the two of you are even compatible, before shelling out all of that cash on immigration forms just to realize later that you can't stand being around each other?

Go ahead - throw away your money by filing the I-129F now, it will not be approved because the two of you have not met. Then what? You'll be right back at square one, and you will end up having to spend the money to see each other anyway before you refile.

So in summary - not only have you wasted money by filing the I-129F in vain, but now one of you will have to spend money on tickets that you should have purchased in the first place, and on top of that you will have to shell out even more money to refile the petition. What sense would that make? None.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:05 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thats what we read that there are exceptions but we dont have any medical problem ...only problem is she is not getting a vacation for more than 2 weeks and we think its not worth to spend approx. 2000us$ just to meet in person for 2 weeks...so I would like to have your opinion about the solution where we can file it without meeting in person.

Also I want to know in case they don't accept the application without meeting in person ...do we have to reappply with a fresh application and have to give new fees again?
Are you just going to ask the same question again and again until someone gives you the answer you want to hear?

Well perhaps this will shut you up.

Yes! It's just fine to file the application without meeting. In fact, I believe that USCIS prefer it if potential spouses have not met before. They think that actually meeting your spouse-to-be before emigrating spoils all the excitement and anticipation.

I say go for it! And if your application is rejected, not only do they return your fee, but they throw in a $5,000 bonus prize too, just to say sorry.

NOTE: I am not a lawyer, and what I have written is simply my understanding of the incredibly difficult question "Do I have to meet my future spouse: YES or NO?"
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Are you just going to ask the same question again and again until someone gives you the answer you want to hear?................I am not a lawyer, and what I have written is simply my understanding of the incredibly difficult question "Do I have to meet my future spouse: YES or NO?"
Obviously we have to appreciate that there are likely to be some cultural sensitivities involved - arranged marriages and all that. However, when one is considering EMIGRATING to an entirely different country, I would have considered it MANDATORY to at least meet once. There are so many instances of brides being brought to the US by husbands they barely knew, with disastrous results...
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:19 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Obviously we have to appreciate that there are likely to be some cultural sensitivities involved - arranged marriages and all that. However, when one is considering EMIGRATING to an entirely different country, I would have considered it MANDATORY to at least meet once. There are so many instances of brides being brought to the US by husbands they barely knew, with disastrous results...
My best friend is Indian and she was brought here by her also Indian husband, he already worked here and she was in an arranged marriage.

Result Shirt lifter, he was batting for the other team, you never know someone until you spend physical time with them its impossible.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

My best friend is Indian and she was brought here by her also Indian husband, he already worked here and she was in an arranged marriage.

Result Shirt lifter, he was batting for the other team, you never know someone until you spend physical time with them its impossible.
The daughter of an Indian friend of mine had an arranged marriage - but at least she went to India and spent about 3 months getting to know him before saying Yes...

AFAIK they are very happy
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:36 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Er. Could you not both midway? What's US$2000 compared to having your applications denied?
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:10 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
This is not a question of culture. The OP has asked a question, been given VERY CLEAR ADVICE, with a CLEAR answer, and has simply asked the exact same question again in a follow-up post.

Why? Because he didn't like the answers he was given. I hope he prefers mine.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:30 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we are all jumping to conclusions is the fiancee to be an American or Indian working in the US thus we could be talking arranged marriage as Elvira pointed out.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe we are all jumping to conclusions is the fiancee to be an American or Indian working in the US thus we could be talking arranged marriage as Elvira pointed out.
A friend of mine is Indian, he had an arranged marriage, they still met beforehand, that would be the tradition.

Just watch Bend it like Beckham.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we are all jumping to conclusions...
Ya THINK?

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Are you just going to ask the same question again and again until someone gives you the answer you want to hear?
To be fair, he really only asked the one time, then confirmed that he was referring to what Rete said--that they had read there are waivers available & that's what they're asking about. No harm in asking.

OP: in case you get the wrong idea, no, you still need to meet in person. They will deny an application like you ask about, and still charge you the fee.
Then you pay again when you re-apply.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
A friend of mine is Indian, he had an arranged marriage, they still met beforehand, that would be the tradition.
I work with an Indian fellow who was in an arranged marriage as well. He spent the money to go to India and meet the girl beforehand and get engaged. Three months later, he spent the money again to go to India for the marriage.

Yes, it's an expensive process.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Two things could happen: 1) USCIS can keep your entire package, including the fee, and ask you to apply again when you qualify
I just checked with my friend whose I-129F was denied due to the fact that they had not met in person. She said USCIS did NOT return the fee.

She also mentioned that it took 2 years for them to adjudicate the I-129F with that decision of denial.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 9th 2007 at 9:18 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

alcoa is an unknown quantity at this point

"Sometimes this requirement is waived if your religion prevents you meeting face to face until your wedding day (you must provide proof of this fact)".

I wonder -- how exactly do you prove this (to USCIS) ? What kind of document would be considered as a proof ?
Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by alcoa
"Sometimes this requirement is waived if your religion prevents you meeting face to face until your wedding day (you must provide proof of this fact)".

I wonder -- how exactly do you prove this (to USCIS) ? What kind of document would be considered as a proof ?
I can't remember the name of the poster offhand, but about 2 or 3 years ago, one member of this forum won his case for not meeting face-to-face. If you do a search, using the right keywords, you might find him.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.