Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Nebraska NSC - Some of my Final Thoughts:)

Wikiposts

Nebraska NSC - Some of my Final Thoughts:)

Old May 8th 2003, 8:21 am
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nebraska NSC - Some of my Final Thoughts:)

I posted this in one of Boogers Threads, but thought that others might like to read it

Comparative pricing and timelines of companies who have performed services for me....

18 pound FedEx package to the Philippines - 4 Days - $182.00
I-129F Processed at BCIS NSC - 142 Days - $110.00
HR Block/IRS Online Tax Return 7 Days - $20.00
Global Priority Envelope USPS to Philippines - 7 Days - $9.00
Knowing that you never had to deal with NSC again - Priceless

Was is Ben Franklin who said, "We as American know the price of everything, yet the value of nothing"?

As far as what it feels like to final y get an NOA2... today I felt like I woke up to a whole new world. It is really strange to see so many people that I have gotten to know so well, like Rohit, Mvstolar, Special 40k, Nevanna, and others get approved this and last week. It seems like the past 142 days have been spend wondering and worring about time, RFE's and problems. Did I send enough paperwork, will an IBIS hit slow me down, are there problems with my petition? I am sure that we all thought about it for at least a little while during or stay at NSC Federal Penitentary. Although there are still a few more hurdles to overcome with NVC and the embassy, it just feels great to have that NOA2.

For those still waiting, just have faith. Of all the things on this forum that I found inspiring was from Mikkitango... The simple statement that, "It has to be". It has to happen sooner or later. One thing that got me by was knowing that this phase of my life is only going to last months and not years. I choose to turn my frustrations with the system into day dreams of what the future will be like, (As well as a lot of beer).

Here are a few things that I learned along the way:

Calling NSC is pointless. The operators are contract workers and contradict each other. Some are very nice and some are really mean. Some will make you feel important and some will make you feel like you are a lepar. Only real important thing that you will ever hear from them is that your case has gone to an inspector.

Do not worry about IBIS hits. I am sure that I got one and I have been a bad boy. It only held me up maybe two or three days as compared to others that had NOA1's on same date as mine.

Don't Bitch - Here or to the BCIS it will only make things worse. Not much you can do other than what Soliel and TSC people did and organize a protest. Use the power of a vote and share your opinion with people that can make a differnce.

Hold hands and look both ways before you cross the street, and relax, it will happen, "it has to"...

Scott

Last edited by ScottHenshaw; May 8th 2003 at 8:32 am.
Old May 8th 2003, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Just one question....what did you send that weighed 18 pounds!!! lol.
Old May 8th 2003, 8:45 am
Scott and Nanette

Lots and Lots of Chocolate

Scott
Old May 8th 2003, 8:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default LOL

18 pound FedEx package to the Philippines - 4 Days - $182.00
I-129F Processed at BCIS NSC - 142 Days - $110.00
HR Block/IRS Online Tax Return 7 Days - $20.00
Global Priority Envelope USPS to Philippines - 7 Days - $9.00

Scott,
LOL! I got a kick out of this one! Thank you for brightening another day of waiting! :-)
Rene
Old May 8th 2003, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

goya0002 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm really glad to see you in better spirits...its so nice. I will say this...as for what I've learned. I've learned the meaning of the following sentence....

"This too shall pass"...and I'm going to try very hard to keep this mind next time I have to wait for something in my life...that I just can't seem to wait for.

Scott is right that it feels like a different world when you get approved after having waited to a long time. I went through a lot of ups and downs and one day that part of the wait was just over.

Hopefully the rest of it will not be so bad for any of us. And if it is...maybe we can remember that "This too shall pass" :-)

Rohit
Old May 8th 2003, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

"This too shall pass"...and I'm going to try very hard to keep this mind next time I have to wait for something in my life...that I just can't seem to wait for.
Like AOS The BCIS gives us so many opportunities to not forget that "This too shall pass"...

Caroline
Old May 8th 2003, 8:51 am
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nebraska NSC - Some of my Final Thoughts:)

Originally posted by ScottHenshaw
Um, sorry Scott but that's not quite true. The I-751 Removal of Conditions goes through one of the Service Centers. But at least when that time comes, we'll be with our wife (or husband). Still, you've got 2 years to move to a different state hehe. The state we plan to move to is still in NSC's jurisdiction. Grrrr
Old May 8th 2003, 8:55 am
Scott and Nanette

Rohit, as far as being in better spirits, I could get hit by Fu%king Mack truck today and still be on top of the world

Thing2, yep forgot about that, but you are right, at least we will be together

Scott
Old May 8th 2003, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by thing2
Still, you've got 2 years to move to a different state hehe.
Well, if you plan on moving during AOS, you might never have to deal with a service center ever again!!!! But still, the waiting for AOS sucks!

Caroline
Old May 8th 2003, 9:00 am
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Caro
Well, if you plan on moving during AOS
We kinda worry about moving at all during any of our stay with the BCIS as we've heard enough horror stories about BCIS losing or not updating address changes. I'll be calling them every week - "now you did get our AR-11 didn't you ? You DO know our new address ?" Boy, does this BCIS bring out my paranoid side or what
Old May 8th 2003, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

goya0002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rohit, as far as being in better spirits, I could get hit by Fu%king Mack truck today and still be on top of the world

Thing2, yep forgot about that, but you are right, at least we will be together

Scott
I can understand what you are saying...but I will now only feel like that once I have her in my arms and with me for the rest of my life.

But for what you are feeling now...is just awesome. Trust me after the NSC hurdle...its not really easy but it is soooo much better. You feel as though thigns are happening constantly and you also feel involved in the process.

So keep that smile...coz you have certainly earned it.
Rohit
Old May 8th 2003, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, you're bustin' me up, Scott! I am so relieved that we got past this huge wait. Everything else from here, seems like a break. Very small, compared to what we've been through, already. All of things that have to be dealt with once our love arrives, will be so much easier to handle, as we'll no longer be apart The NVC wait and interview, will come alot faster than we expect. Because, we've been waiting so long, that it will seem to speed by, even if it's a couple months. Best regards to Nanette
Old May 8th 2003, 10:26 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

For those still waiting, just have faith. Of all the things on this forum that I found inspiring was from Mikkitango... The simple statement that, "It has to be". It has to happen sooner or later. One thing that got me by was knowing that this phase of my life is only going to last months and not years. I choose to turn my frustrations with the system into day dreams of what the future will be like
Hi Scott,
Not sure if I said congratulations yet on your approval, so just in case, Congrats! Way to go!

As far as the “it has to happen sooner or later� phrase that you found inspirational, I would agree with that statement. Most cases are “usually, eventually� approved by the BCIS and then the Consulate. The trick is putting together a well documented petition, that is not overkill, that will reduce the odds of getting an RFE (speed is king in these cases, not whether or not it will be approved as most are “eventually� approved), and that will make it as easy as possible for the BCIS officer, and then later the Consular Officer, to say “Yes, I approve this petition or application for the visa". Odds are that most cases won’t get an RFE, but as we see in this group all the time, enough of them do to make getting an RFE a real concern (of course, not much one could have done if they simply lose something). I try to do everything and anything I can when doing the forms, selecting the evidence, putting together the finished product, in my correspondence with the BCIS, etc, to reduce the odds of any particular potential problem turning into an actual problem (and perhaps an RFE). I’m sure “everybody� tries to do that too, and experience can really come into play in knowing what can and should be done in any given case or situation (no two cases are exactly the same).

(As well as a lot of beer).
Ha! Perhaps when the visa is approved I’ll have to send you a bottle of my homemade brew. It’s a hobby I’ve been participating in since 1995, and I’ve been competing with my homemade brews for a number of years now and have won various awards across the U.S. In fact, I just heard through informal channels that one of my beers (either my Russian Imperial Stout, English Style Barleywine, or American Style Barleywine) took first place in the “western region� of the American Homebrewers Association National Competition. That means I’ll have to ship 3 more bottles of that first place beer to Chicago to compete against the other regional winners in my category (style category 12). They have not posted the official results on the AHA site yet (for the California region winners) but they should be up soon at, http://www.beertown.org/events/nhc/1st_round.html#cali

Here are a few things that I learned along the way:

Calling NSC is pointless. Only real important thing that you will ever hear from them is that your case has gone to an inspector.
Agreed. And if one simply understands that the projected processing times listed on the receipt notices are bogus, fiction and not promises by BCIS, and if they instead simply look at the reports the NSC actually does release, they will be able to tell 1) has the case been taken off of the shelf yet and given to an officer, and 2) is it overdue yet. No real need to call them if its just to find out if its gone to an officer (and I doubt they can really tell you that…. The computer screens at the CSC that the customer service people use don’t list that information and I’ll bet they just look at the NSC processing time report that I’m referring to above).

Do not worry about IBIS hits. I am sure that I got one and I have been a bad boy. It only held me up maybe two or three days as compared to others that had NOA1's on same date as mine.
IBIS hits are real, and when they happen the case gets pulled out of the main stream of cases and will experience a delay, slight to significant. Most Service Centers are much faster/better at doing their IBIS work now, and it sounds like your delay might have been more on the “slight� side (although you can’t really predict based on another person’s case).

Once again, congratulations!

M.U.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; May 8th 2003 at 10:55 am.