Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

To naturalize or not to naturalize...

To naturalize or not to naturalize...

Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: To naturalize or not to naturalize...

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
There is always the feeling that Arizona politicians might do something stupid.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
Since I brought up the subject, my thoughts:

I was K1 like you, came over in 2004....got 10 year gc in 2007. Got divorced after 4.5 years in 2009,(no kids) but anyway qualified for USC after 3 years as married PR, and since, also qualify individually after 5 years PR.

I have not yet applied for USC, but I will, rather than renew my 10 year GC. Main reason I have not, is money. Main reasons I will, is ability to go back and forth - ageing parents in UK in mind, and having already done 90% of the red tape, why not finish the job. But that's just me!
Yeah, I kind of feel that way too - both for getting it all done and worrying about the money, but I guess I have time to save up. Thank you for sharing.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
Reasons why my husband naturalized:
1. He wanted to have the right to come and go in and out of the USA at any time, and to stay out of the USA for any length of time.
2. He wanted to be able to travel abroad more easily (he is very limited on his Iranian passport).
3. He wanted to vote.

Rene
Thanks, Rene. I think I would feel the same about #1 and #3. With a British passport I enjoy a great deal of freedom in travelling abroad, so that is less of a concern. But to be able to come and go as I need to, and to have a say in the politics of the country I make my home (and my children's) would be very important to me.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Reason I did, because I never wanted to deal with USCIS again!!!

Reason I didnt want to, I see myself as Australian, but then with a USC oh and stepkids who knows what the future may bring.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frambuesas View Post
Why do you want/not want to become a US citizen? Or for those of you who have already made this decision, why did you choose to naturalize or not?
In addition to the other reasons already mentioned, I also became a USC as a courtesy to my wife. It was the quickest way to relieve her of her financial obligation under the I-864.

Ian
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
In addition to the other reasons already mentioned, I also became a USC as a courtesy to my wife. It was the quickest way to relieve her of her financial obligation under the I-864.

Ian
Good point, Ian. That makes a lot of sense! I think I would want to do that too.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag View Post
Reason I did, because I never wanted to deal with USCIS again!!!

Reason I didnt want to, I see myself as Australian, but then with a USC oh and stepkids who knows what the future may bring.
The first one alone is honestly almost enough to make the decision for me!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:36 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

The first one alone is honestly almost enough to make the decision for me!
USCIS is just practice for dealing with IRS, DMV et al.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

After reading the 'Uncle Sam wants YOU!' read-me post at the top of the forum, I have a genuine, just people's opinions wanted question:

Why do you want/not want to become a US citizen? Or for those of you who have already made this decision, why did you choose to naturalize or not?

To give you a bit of background, I came to the US last year from England, on a K-1 visa. I married my lovely USC fiancé and filed for AOS in December, and got notice that my green card has been approved today. Yay! We now live in a house in North Carolina with our older dog, an insane and adorable new puppy, and an eccentric rescue cat. I'm in the process of searching for a full-time job now (I've been freelancing since I got my EAD).

Anyone who has seen previous posts of mine will know I like to worry about things waaaaay in advance, so please feel free to ignore this thread if it's annoying for me to be asking this early in the game. But I really love the thoughts and opinions of the BE forum, and am so grateful for the help and support I've received here over the last 16 months. I would enjoy hearing about what you think are the pros and cons of becoming a US citizen. I know it's a personal choice, as well as a practical one, so this is entirely subjective and I'm just being nosy!

Thanks.
Hi there,

Yes, you do worry waaaaay to much lol. Being a green card holder you are aboligated to everything as a US citizen would be, except being able to vote, that may or not be importent to you but you can't voice your complaint if not a US citizen. I have lived and worked in the US for 30 years and took out citizenship 25 years ago. And was able to keep both US and UK passports. I retired and i have a house here in Virginia and a property in in the UK. So in a nutshell being able to have dual citizenship does have it's advantages.

Last edited by London1947; Jul 12th 2012 at 2:28 pm. Reason: change
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

I made the choice to naturalize after giving it a lot of thought and reading comments on here.

Ultimately, I knew my wife (a US citizen), son (dual US and UK citizen) and I would likely go to live in the UK at some point and having spent a lot of time, money and energy getting my greencard it would be a bit annoying to have to get an ESTA every time we came back to visit her family or go to the trouble of having her sponsor me again should we wish to return to the US.

As fate would have it, we actually sped up our plans to move to the UK when we saw the new stricter rules for spousal visas, and I've never been happier with a decision than I currently am about choosing US citizenship

Last edited by Egon; Jul 12th 2012 at 2:31 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RICH View Post
USCIS is just practice for dealing with IRS, DMV et al.
Having already had dealings with both, I can believe it.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by London1947 View Post
Hi there,

Yes, you do worry waaaaay to much lol. Being a green card holder you are aboligated to everything as a US citizen would be, except being able to vote, that may or not be importent to you but you can't voice your complaint if not a US citizen. I have lived and worked in the US for 30 years and took out citizenship 25 years ago. And was able to keep both US and UK passports. I retired and i have a house here in Virginia and a property in in the UK. So in a nutshell being able to have dual citizenship does have it's advantages.
Well, at least I own up to it! I've always been a bit too focused on the future; living in the here and now is something I've been working on. I'm getting better. But with this, I just wanted to know people's experiences - even if I wanted to make a decision now, it wouldn't make any difference.

We talked about possibly retiring to the US at some point, and the property aspect is obviously important too. So they are really good points. As for the voting/having a say, I absolutely agree - so important. Especially if we have kids! Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I made the choice to naturalize after giving it a lot of thought and reading comments on here.

Ultimately, I knew my wife (a US citizen), son (dual US and UK citizen) and I would likely go to live in the UK at some point and having spent a lot of time, money and energy getting my greencard it would be a bit annoying to have to get an ESTA every time we came back to visit her family or go to the trouble of having her sponsor me again should we wish to return to the US.

As fate would have it, we actually sped up our plans to move to the UK when we saw the new stricter rules for spousal visas, and I've never been happier with a decision than I currently am about choosing US citizenship
So glad that it all worked out for you. I'm not looking forward to those changes in the UK visa laws, as if we ever go back, they will definitely be in our way to begin with! Bah. But at least with citizenship, you have a lot more freedom to travel back, as you say.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I'm just reading the Wiki! I really do want personal opinions though, because I'm interested in other people's stories. The practical aspects can only really be considered nearer the time. I don't want to jump the gun too much (though I'm excited that I have the option of becoming a USC!).
Ask yourself what possible reasons could you have for not becoming a USC.

For the vast majority of people, the tax return issue is really a minor nuisance compared to the benefits of becoming a USC.

I became a USC partly because I wanted my kids to become USC's by derivation. Now they don't have to spend money on naturalization like I did. As they get older, their US citizenship is something they are starting to really appreciate and thank me for. My eldest is at college in Canada and her cross-border trips are made much easier by the fact that she has a US passport (she also has a Canadian passport as she was born there).

I am also happy that, as a USC, I can freely leave and enter the US and can't be deported should I ever get into trouble (through no fault of my own or otherwise). If I ever have to move back to the UK for any reason, I have the reassurance of knowing that I can return to the US at any time.

The only real disadvantage I can see is that there are certain places in the world where it might not be a good idea to be caught carrying a US passport. However, in such places, even carrying a UK passport might not be that much better! I read an article recently that stated that increasiong numbers of USC's are looking into the possibility of obtaining another (non-US) passport simply because they don't always feel comfortable travelling with a US passport in certain countries. Of course, these people would still need to use a US passport to leave/enter the US anyway.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I did it due to:

1. Stability. Nice to know I can come back wherever the future may take me.
2. Bad things happen to good people. Say you're in a car with a friend and, unknown to you, that car has drugs in it... if you get pulled over and they think you have something to do with it you could be deported. Extreme, but you never know.
3. Security clearance. While it may still require paperwork, I've seen many jobs that require US citizenship and/or security clearance. Far from a done deal, but with USC, you can at least apply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.