Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

To naturalize or not to naturalize...

To naturalize or not to naturalize...

Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Question To naturalize or not to naturalize...

After reading the 'Uncle Sam wants YOU!' read-me post at the top of the forum, I have a genuine, just people's opinions wanted question:

Why do you want/not want to become a US citizen? Or for those of you who have already made this decision, why did you choose to naturalize or not?

To give you a bit of background, I came to the US last year from England, on a K-1 visa. I married my lovely USC fiancé and filed for AOS in December, and got notice that my green card has been approved today. Yay! We now live in a house in North Carolina with our older dog, an insane and adorable new puppy, and an eccentric rescue cat. I'm in the process of searching for a full-time job now (I've been freelancing since I got my EAD).

Anyone who has seen previous posts of mine will know I like to worry about things waaaaay in advance, so please feel free to ignore this thread if it's annoying for me to be asking this early in the game. But I really love the thoughts and opinions of the BE forum, and am so grateful for the help and support I've received here over the last 16 months. I would enjoy hearing about what you think are the pros and cons of becoming a US citizen. I know it's a personal choice, as well as a practical one, so this is entirely subjective and I'm just being nosy!

Thanks.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:02 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To naturalize or not to naturalize...

There seem to be only two cons.
1) cost
2) tax forms for life
3) an extra one for those younger than me, being called up

and if you are keeping resident status, you have the tax issue and possibility to be called up anyway.

The pro is more security, including against future changes in regulations.

If I had the cash to spare I would do it.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:07 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice

Thanks - I'm just reading the Wiki! I really do want personal opinions though, because I'm interested in other people's stories. The practical aspects can only really be considered nearer the time. I don't want to jump the gun too much (though I'm excited that I have the option of becoming a USC!).
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
1) cost
2) tax forms for life

and if you are keeping resident status, you have the tax issue and possibility to be called up anyway.

Being called up? As in military? I understood that this was just for males, as unfair as that is. (At least that's what the Wiki says.)
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:14 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frambuesas View Post
Thanks - I'm just reading the Wiki! I really do want personal opinions though, because I'm interested in other people's stories. The practical aspects can only really be considered nearer the time. I don't want to jump the gun too much (though I'm excited that I have the option of becoming a USC!).
If you have kids who are US citizens then I think it's important one has US citizenship too, because you never know where the future will take you, or them.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

1) cost
2) tax forms for life

And thank you for your thoughts! It's $680 at the moment, right? Cheaper than the K-1 but still a big chunk of money. And then there's the passport... Oh well, got a long while to worry about that (and no doubt it will have gone up again by then!).
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
If you have kids who are US citizens then I think it's important one has US citizenship too, because you never know where the future will take you, or them.
Yeah - we are planning on starting a family in the near (ish) future, so it makes sense from that angle.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:42 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Since I brought up the subject, my thoughts:

I was K1 like you, came over in 2004....got 10 year gc in 2007. Got divorced after 4.5 years in 2009,(no kids) but anyway qualified for USC after 3 years as married PR, and since, also qualify individually after 5 years PR.

I have not yet applied for USC, but I will, rather than renew my 10 year GC. Main reason I have not, is money. Main reasons I will, is ability to go back and forth - ageing parents in UK in mind, and having already done 90% of the red tape, why not finish the job. But that's just me!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

1) cost
2) tax forms for life
No - permanent residents have the same responsibilities as citizens when it comes to "being called up" - ie males from age 18 through 25 are required to register with the Selective Service.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:58 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Being called up? As in military? I understood that this was just for males, as unfair as that is. (At least that's what the Wiki says.)
Yes, I was being a bit me-centric

And thank you for your thoughts! It's $680 at the moment, right? Cheaper than the K-1 but still a big chunk of money. And then there's the passport... Oh well, got a long while to worry about that (and no doubt it will have gone up again by then!).
I forget the exact cost, but that was in the ball-park last time I checked, there is the actual cost plus biometics (or something)

Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
No - permanent residents have the same responsibilities as citizens when it comes to "being called up" - ie males from age 18 through 25 are required to register with the Selective Service.
Indeed that and the taxes. As I too stated in the next line that got cut from your quote
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

There is always the feeling that Arizona politicians might do something stupid.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:40 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065 View Post
This is not entirely accurate. An alien that is called up for military service may be able to obtain an exemption or discharge due to alienage. Claiming such an exemption though makes one ineligible for citizenship. See https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0500502140

A recent case even found that an alien who was discharged based on alienage was eligible for citizenship - see http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...10/0456353.pdf

Also, there are reciprocal treaties exempting certain aliens from military service, if the alien so wants. See http://www.sss.gov/regisrantsbk.htm#(Class%204-C) and http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/S...0-0-46619.html.

Last edited by dreamercon; Jul 12th 2012 at 4:58 am.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want/not want to become a US citizen? Or for those of you who have already made this decision, why did you choose to naturalize or not?
Reasons why my husband naturalized:
1. He wanted to have the right to come and go in and out of the USA at any time, and to stay out of the USA for any length of time.
2. He wanted to be able to travel abroad more easily (he is very limited on his Iranian passport).
3. He wanted to vote.

Rene
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I was being a bit me-centric

I forget the exact cost, but that was in the ball-park last time I checked, there is the actual cost plus biometics (or something)

Indeed that and the taxes. As I too stated in the next line that got cut from your quote
Yes, I see the taxes thing. Bah. But I would need to do that as an LPR away from the States anyway, plus my husband will always have to do that. So I don't see that as a huge issue (especially as we probably won't be earning over the threshold of actually paying taxes). Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.