Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

To naturalize or not to naturalize...

To naturalize or not to naturalize...

Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: To naturalize or not to naturalize...

Originally Posted by Steve_

Most of the advantages are pretty obvious, basically right to vote, right of abode even if you go abroad or murder someone.
Fair point. I just wanted to know about people's own experiences, rather than just factual advantages. Some people find it quite a personal choice, others entirely practical. I'm interested in the differences and how people made their decision.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Although even the right to vote doesn't appear to be taken that seriously. The turnouts for elections in the US is pretty low considering it promotes itself as the model of democracy and the leader of the free world. But then again, freedom includes the freedom to decide not to vote.
Yeah, my husband gets infuriated by voter apathy here.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dreamercon
A green card holder can not be deported for just an arrest. There needs to be a conviction or an admission of guilt.
That makes sense - presumably they wouldn't deport a person awaiting trial!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Although even the right to vote doesn't appear to be taken that seriously.
There's probably no statistics on it, but I'm willing to bet that voter turnout is higher in the immigrant population than the non-immigrant population.

Ian
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Such as?

You don't become eligible for social security or premium-free Medicare until you've contributed for 10 years, so having US citizenship doesn't really help when it comes to govt. benefits. You qualify for medicare as a citizen but you have to pay for it, which you can do as an LPR, or in a non-immigrant status for that matter.

Most of the advantages are pretty obvious, basically right to vote, right of abode even if you go abroad or murder someone.
Steve, you pay for your medicare through your FICA contributions which is deducted from your paycheck, the only time you have to pay is if you elect
( part A and or part B ) Part ( A ) is to supplement medicare which costs $100 per month. Yes, of course there is a waiting period, but the folks on here are a long way of before retirement. Ps Green card holders permanent resident do qualify for medicare when the time comes. My Daughter has lived here for the past 30 years and never became a citizen, still UK, when the time comes she will get social security and medicare. As for myself i have duel citizenship and travel with both passports.

John
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:31 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frambuesas
Yeah, my husband gets infuriated by voter apathy here.
Lack of good options? Which emphasizes another benefit, being able to stand/hold public office. (Maybe UK could take back USA this way )
Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RICH
Lack of good options? Which emphasizes another benefit, being able to stand/hold public office. (Maybe UK could take back USA this way )
I think you might be on to something there. But we'd need an US-born American citizen to be President. I reckon my husband would help us out with that though.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frambuesas
I think you might be on to something there. But we'd need an US-born American citizen to be President. I reckon my husband would help us out with that though.
You just have to be a "natural born" USC to be eligible to become President. You do NOT necessarily have to be born in the US itself - you just have to be born a USC. John McCain ran for President and he was born in Panama.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

You just have to be a "natural born" USC to be eligible to become President. You do NOT necessarily have to be born in the US itself - you just have to be born a USC. John McCain ran for President and he was born in Panama.
Oh well, I still don't count.

Maybe our kids could...
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There's probably no statistics on it, but I'm willing to bet that voter turnout is higher in the immigrant population than the non-immigrant population.

Ian
Well this study (albeit from 1999) found the exact opposite to be true:

http://www.census.gov/population/www.../twps0028.html

Voting research conducted in the 1970s and 1980s demonstrated that those who are more established in society are the most likely to register and vote. Our research using November 1996 Current Population Survey data shows that this trend continues in the 1990s. The major findings based on multivariate models are that citizens with more education and income, employed individuals, those who own their homes, those who have a longer length of time at current residence, professionals, women, older individuals, married individuals, and Blacks are more likely to register and vote.

Another major conclusion from our research is that voting behavior between naturalized and native-born citizens differs. Overall, naturalized citizens are less likely to register and vote than native-born citizens. Citizens born abroad in Europe and in Asia are 30 to 40 percent less likely to vote than those born in the U.S. While socioeconomic factors are prominent determinants of voting behavior among the native-born population, these factors are less important among the naturalized population. Among naturalized citizens, those with more education, a longer length of time at current residence, and a longer length of time in the U.S. are more likely to register and vote. The length of time spent in the U.S. is a prominent factor associated with both registration and voting among naturalized citizens.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 14th 2012 at 10:04 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Another major conclusion from our research is that voting behavior between naturalized and native-born citizens differs. Overall, naturalized citizens are less likely to register and vote than native-born citizens.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2012, 1:53 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
Steve, you pay for your medicare through your FICA contributions which is deducted from your paycheck,
That's what I said, 10 years of contributions.

The point I was making is that if you DON'T have ten years of contributions you have to pay premiums, i.e. there is no advantage to having US citizenship in that regard, other than you qualify for medicare, but you have to pay for it.

the only time you have to pay is if you elect
( part A and or part B ) Part ( A ) is to supplement medicare which costs $100 per month.
$550 actually per month if you have to pay part A and B. Part B alone is $100, but you would be paying part A without medicare contributions.

My point was if you became a citizen of Canada tomorrow and then moved to Canada, you qualify for healthcare straight off the bat with zero payments, ditto for most developed countries.

In the US, even if you are a citizen, you are merely entitled (required actually) to pay for it.

Wow.

Also if I understand this new medicare tax on unearned income under the ACA correctly, you could be in a situation where you are eligible for medicare (being over 65), but living abroad (thus unable to claim it) but required to pay US taxes (as a US citizen with income from certain types of investments and a total income in excess of $200,000) and thus be paying medicare taxes on something you cannot use.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 1:54 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

John McCain ran for President and he was born in Panama.
He was born in the canal zone which was a US territory at the time. But yes, you have to be a US citizen at birth, i.e. "natural born". At the time there were a lot of Indians in unorganized US territories, they wanted to exclude them.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 15th 2012 at 1:56 am.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 1:58 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Whale oil beef hooked!

Ian
I think it's true, I read a similar analysis in the paper here of naturalized Canadians. Just aren't as tuned in to the topic.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 3:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

He was born in the canal zone which was a US territory at the time. But yes, you have to be a US citizen at birth, i.e. "natural born". At the time there were a lot of Indians in unorganized US territories, they wanted to exclude them.
Goldwater was also born in a territory at that time......Arizona!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.