Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

To naturalize or not to naturalize...

To naturalize or not to naturalize...

Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: To naturalize or not to naturalize...

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I did it due to:

1. Stability. Nice to know I can come back wherever the future may take me.
2. Bad things happen to good people. Say you're in a car with a friend and, unknown to you, that car has drugs in it... if you get pulled over and they think you have something to do with it you could be deported. Extreme, but you never know.
3. Security clearance. While it may still require paperwork, I've seen many jobs that require US citizenship and/or security clearance. Far from a done deal, but with USC, you can at least apply.
Thanks - didn't think of #2, but I think you're the second or third person to mention that to me. Quite a reassuring thing to think that you have a right to stay no matter what! And you're right, you never know.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frambuesas
Thanks - didn't think of #2, but I think you're the second or third person to mention that to me. Quite a reassuring thing to think that you have a right to stay no matter what! And you're right, you never know.
Didn't happen (as I said, it's extreme) but here's a recent case where it could have easily gone that way:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1606817.html
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Ask yourself what possible reasons could you have for not becoming a USC.

For the vast majority of people, the tax return issue is really a minor nuisance compared to the benefits of becoming a USC.
I agree. I haven't really got any reasons not to, now I have had a little time to consider it. But I like to see what people feel as well as the factual side of the argument. It's good to know people like you have benefitted both for yourself and for your family. That's really important to me.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I became a USC partly because I wanted my kids to become USC's by derivation. Now they don't have to spend money on naturalization like I did. As they get older, their US citizenship is something they are starting to really appreciate and thank me for. My eldest is at college in Canada and her cross-border trips are made much easier by the fact that she has a US passport (she also has a Canadian passport as she was born there).
That's great! And definitely something I would like for our kids.

I am also happy that, as a USC, I can freely leave and enter the US and can't be deported should I ever get into trouble (through no fault of my own or otherwise). If I ever have to move back to the UK for any reason, I have the reassurance of knowing that I can return to the US at any time.
Again, this is a great comfort.

The only real disadvantage I can see is that there are certain places in the world where it might not be a good idea to be caught carrying a US passport. However, in such places, even carrying a UK passport might not be that much better! I read an article recently that stated that increasiong numbers of USC's are looking into the possibility of obtaining another (non-US) passport simply because they don't always feel comfortable travelling with a US passport in certain countries. Of course, these people would still need to use a US passport to leave/enter the US anyway.
Exactly. I guess it's just no holidays to Cuba now!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:43 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Because it made sense, for pretty much all the reasons people have given so far, given the long term plan to make the US my home.

Because I want to get onto the school board and that's restricted to citizens - it isn't just voting that comes with citizenship but the right to seek votes!

And because there's a longer list of crimes which I can now commit without fear of deportation.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Didn't happen (as I said, it's extreme) but here's a recent case where it could have easily gone that way:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1606817.html
Yeah, my husband just said, "That would just... no, that couldn't happen. It's so unlikely."

The issue is, of course, that it is unlikely but it IS possible. And in the world of immigration law, when you've been through so much to be here, that possibility is enough to make you want to do everything you can to avoid it.

In the case above, the non-USC actually committed the crime himself, rather than being a naive participant or an accessory, right? I'm amazed that there weren't further deportation efforts. I guess the letter from the other man in the video, and his long-standing US residency, did help with that.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Because it made sense, for pretty much all the reasons people have given so far, given the long term plan to make the US my home.

Because I want to get onto the school board and that's restricted to citizens - it isn't just voting that comes with citizenship but the right to seek votes!

And because there's a longer list of crimes which I can now commit without fear of deportation.
Bahahahaha, all excellent reasons!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

In the case above, the non-USC actually committed the crime himself, rather than being a naive participant or an accessory, right? I'm amazed that there weren't further deportation efforts. I guess the letter from the other man in the video, and his long-standing US residency, did help with that.
Yes, that wasn't a naive one. A more worrying scenario would be driving home one day and not noticing the cars ahead have stopped... BANG and the driver in the car in front is dead. Again, I'm coming up with scenarios that I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy, but you have to think it COULD happen.

Here's an article about it below (I copied and pasted the most relevant part)

A greencard holder can also be deported if he has a criminal arrest or conviction. Examples are almost any drug conviction including even simple possession or a misdemeanor, theft offenses, depending on your immigration status and the sentence you received, violent crimes such as assault, battery, rape or murder, domestic violence convictions or convictions for violating an order of protection, any conviction for sex offenses including consensual sex with a minor, gun convictions.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/views-and...ty-mike-templo

Please don't misunderstand my point as being "become a USC so you can become a drug crazed, gun wielding sex maniac!"

But who knows... wrong time in a bar in the wrong part of town... bar fight considered assault and out the country you go

I prefer to just have the peace of mind, no matter how incredibly unlikely, I'll NEVER get deported.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Here's an article about it below (I copied and pasted the most relevant part)

Please don't misunderstand my point as being "become a USC so you can become a drug crazed, gun wielding sex maniac!"

Well, I'll know who to blame if that happens. Heh heh. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply again, and with such interesting (and useful!) information.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

I think many are getting of the main subject. The point is that becoming a USC has all the advantages one could ask for. Many people would give up a kidney to be able to hold two passports and have duel citizenship. To be able if one wished to live in the UK or the US.

John in Va
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by London1947
I think many are getting of the main subject. The point is that becoming a USC has all the advantages one could ask for. Many people would give up a kidney to be able to hold two passports and have duel citizenship. To be able if one wished to live in the UK or the US.

John in Va
Thanks John. Just having a giggle - this was supposed to be a casual thread anyway! But you're right. There are so many advantages, it seems daft to not do it. I will start saving!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Being called up? As in military? I understood that this was just for males, as unfair as that is. (At least that's what the Wiki says.)
The selective service thing is silly, this is just the way the US does it. Been various attempts to scrap it over the years and they haven't happened mainly because of stupid inertia.

The reality is that nowadays it would only be used in times of some national crisis and all the demographic info is already in the SSA database so they could just use that.

On the tax thing - yes you have to file tax forms for life but as a US citizen you can at least be non-resident for tax purposes. As an LPR you can't, "permanent resident" means exactly that in US law. You already crossed the line into filing a tax return by moving to the US, at least you can live abroad if you become a US citizen.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:02 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
I think many are getting of the main subject. The point is that becoming a USC has all the advantages one could ask for.
Such as?

You don't become eligible for social security or premium-free Medicare until you've contributed for 10 years, so having US citizenship doesn't really help when it comes to govt. benefits. You qualify for medicare as a citizen but you have to pay for it, which you can do as an LPR, or in a non-immigrant status for that matter.

Most of the advantages are pretty obvious, basically right to vote, right of abode even if you go abroad or murder someone.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Most of the advantages are pretty obvious, basically right to vote, right of abode even if you go abroad or murder someone.
Although even the right to vote doesn't appear to be taken that seriously. The turnouts for elections in the US is pretty low considering it promotes itself as the model of democracy and the leader of the free world. But then again, freedom includes the freedom to decide not to vote.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:14 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

A greencard holder can also be deported if he has a criminal arrest or conviction. Examples are almost any drug conviction including even simple possession or a misdemeanor, theft offenses, depending on your immigration status and the sentence you received, violent crimes such as assault, battery, rape or murder, domestic violence convictions or convictions for violating an order of protection, any conviction for sex offenses including consensual sex with a minor, gun convictions.
A green card holder can not be deported for just an arrest. There needs to be a conviction or an admission of guilt.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
On the tax thing - yes you have to file tax forms for life but as a US citizen you can at least be non-resident for tax purposes. As an LPR you can't, "permanent resident" means exactly that in US law. You already crossed the line into filing a tax return by moving to the US, at least you can live abroad if you become a US citizen.
That's good to know! Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.