Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Name Change After Marriage

Wikiposts

Name Change After Marriage

Old Aug 28th 2011, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Name Change After Marriage

As it's something I'm trying to make a decision about at the moment, I was wondering what people's opinions are about name changes after marriage - what option did you go for? Why? What do you think of the various options? etc. I'm interested in views from both men and women!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:19 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name Change After Marriage

I kept mine the same.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Either or is fine, but avoid the silly double-barrelled compromise at all costs.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I kept mine the same.
Did your wife? If she had done/did so would you/did you care?
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Either or is fine, but avoid the silly double-barrelled compromise at all costs.
When you say 'silly', do you just mean that it sounds silly, or that the compromise is silly and that it is more sensible just to choose one or the other? Or both?
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
When you say 'silly', do you just mean that it sounds silly, or that the compromise is silly and that it is more sensible just to choose one or the other? Or both?
Sounds.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The Wife kept her name, it's fairly unique plus she has a career and reputation. A double barreled name would have sounded extremely silly. That said, when we eventually have kids we will be doing the relatively traditional thing of having the mother's maiden name as an extra middle name.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The Wife kept her name, it's fairly unique plus she has a career and reputation. A double barreled name would have sounded extremely silly. That said, when we eventually have kids we will be doing the relatively traditional thing of having the mother's maiden name as an extra middle name.
I will keep using my maiden name for professional purposes too, as I'd prefer to stick to publishing under one name. And I don't really want to have two different names (one professional and one private) as that seems like a lot of bother. But my fiance is very conservative and when we've discussed it in the past he has seemed a bit hurt that I didn't want to take his name. So I'm considering the double-barrelled option as a compromise, but I agree it will sound silly. Maybe I would get used to it over time .

EDIT: I should have said that it will sound silly with our particular names. I don't think all double-barrelled names sound silly. Come to think of it, when I meet people with double-barrelled names I never think they sound silly, but when my friends get married and take them on it does sound odd.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Aug 28th 2011 at 5:50 am.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:53 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was reluctant to take my name. She said the reason was, "complex" - which meant she was clearly taking the piss. Boy did I wipe the smirk off her face when little baby Zoster was born....
Old Aug 28th 2011, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
My wife was reluctant to take my name. She said the reason was, "complex" - which meant she was clearly taking the piss. Boy did I wipe the smirk off her face when little baby Zoster was born....

Maybe I will try 'bargaining'. If I keep my name, he can name the kids. If I take his name, I get to name them. And I will go to town with it.

Blackmail is a completely sensible way to start a marriage, right?
Old Aug 28th 2011, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I kept my name for a while but it caused a problem once with flight tickets and it seemed more trouble than it was worth so I changed it.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 6:06 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen

Blackmail is a completely sensible way to start a marriage, right?
It's certainly better than the old way of giving some bloke a cow and a barrel of soy beans on the agreement he'll let you knob his 12 year old daughter.

IT really makes one wonder why Republican Presidential candidates want to go back to that so badly.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
It's certainly better than the old way of giving some bloke a cow and a barrel of soy beans on the agreement he'll let you knob his 12 year old daughter.

IT really makes one wonder why Republican Presidential candidates want to go back to that so badly.
Good point. I will note that one down for use in future arguments.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I kept my name for a while but it caused a problem once with flight tickets and it seemed more trouble than it was worth so I changed it.
Never had that sort of issue. It's funny sometimes when telemarketers phone up and ask for Mrs Myname or Mr Hername. Pretty clear they don't know who they are talking to.

On the other hand there are some elder relatives that insist on addressing mail to Mr and Mrs Myname. These are the same relatives confused over why the Wife didn't insist on a bigger rock for her finger, you know as insurance
Old Aug 28th 2011, 6:42 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree that double-barrelled names sound silly. Some people are born with them; for others they represent a valid expression of dual identity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.