Wikiposts

Name change?

Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

jbfaust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name change?

Hi all. My husband (UKC) and I (USC) got married in August. I filed all our visa forms with my maiden name only, figuring that if I used my "new" name it would be partially a lie since we would file the forms before I had a chance to get a new social security card in the US. I understand the process for getting my name changed here, but I'm unsure how this might effect our K-3, whether I'd have to submit a letter stating my name change, or do something else. I'm willing to wait until everything comes through including his status adjustment, I just think it would mean a lot to my husband if I made the switch. Does anyone else have any experience with this?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name change?

Originally Posted by jbfaust
I filed all our visa forms with my maiden name only
You didn't have to.

... figuring that if I used my "new" name it would be partially a lie since we would file the forms before I had a chance to get a new social security card in the US.
Well... you'd be wrong. The SS card has *nothing* whatsoever to do with your name change - at least, not as far as immigration is concerned. You can use whatever name you like as long as your intent is not to commit fraud.

I'm unsure how this might effect our K-3, whether I'd have to submit a letter stating my name change, or do something else.
See... this is what happens when you try to change things after the fact. On the practical side, it shouldn't affect your K-3 at all.

I just think it would mean a lot to my husband if I made the switch.
This is the 21st century... there is no requirement to change your name... unless your husband is insisting on it, in which case, I recommend you slap him around a bit for his misogynist views.

Ian
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

I agree, I happen to like his name though. I won't post it here but trust me it's better than mine. Maybe I'll just wait a year or two.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'll just wait a year or two.
You don't have to wait! Take your current SS card and your marriage certificate to SSA and get a new SS card. Once you have the new card, you can change all your other paperwork. You can *still* use your maiden name on all immigration forms if you like (your maiden name is *still* your legal name, even if you change your last name to match your husband's). Once your current CR-1/K-3 has been processed, you can use your married name on any future immigration forms. It won't affect the process at all.

Ian
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I happen to like his name though. I won't post it here but trust me it's better than mine. Maybe I'll just wait a year or two.
Or just go double barrelled ..tack his name on the end of yours...
and becomes Mrs Faust-Smith
Old Nov 16th 2008, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Hope10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Or just go double barrelled ..tack his name on the end of yours...
and becomes Mrs Faust-Smith
In this case what is she supposed to do if she decides to tack it to her name?The same procedure as if she was to take his name ,without still keeping hers, right?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 3:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hope10
In this case what is she supposed to do if she decides to tack it to her name?
What do you mean "what is she supposed to do"? All she has to do is start using his name as an extension of hers. She doesn't need to ask permission from anyone. As I said before, you can call yourself whatever you want as long as the intent is not to commit fraud.

Ian
Old Nov 16th 2008, 3:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hope10
In this case what is she supposed to do if she decides to tack it to her name?The same procedure as if she was to take his name ,without still keeping hers, right?
Do whatever suits the person ..Thats what my wife did ..
so she is known in both her single and married name
and yes the same procedure
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

jbf,

How do you figure that the SSA is the entity that determines what your name is?

It's the act of marriage that gives you the option to change your name, and if YOU decide to change your name then you procede to notify all those that you want to know about the change, including the SSA. There's nothing that requires the SSA to be first on the list, or even to be on the list at all.

Regards, JEff

Hi all. My husband (UKC) and I (USC) got married in August. I filed all our visa forms with my maiden name only, figuring that if I used my "new" name it would be partially a lie since we would file the forms before I had a chance to get a new social security card in the US.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
jbf,

It's the act of marriage that gives you the option to change your name...
Regards, JEff
This is only one particular (admitedly the usual) case - one can change one's name as often as one likes; if there is no criminal intent. It may be convenient for a name change at this time if both partners want this.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

My main concerns with the name change issue are that (according to my research) sometimes there are problems with tax returns if the employer does not make the correct changes in a timely manner. This would worry me as I am using my income to sponsor my husband when he adjusts his status from K-3 to green card. Secondly, I assume I would have to get a new passport which would not match the names on all my applications. One would assume, as others have stated earlier that the USCIS or anyone else dealing with the application at any stage would understand such a change, but my inclination is to not give them any reason to delay/deny/confuse or in any way encourage them to slow down as a result of this mid-application change of names. I could be overly cautious but I can't imagine it's a bad idea with these people. I agree that I could start going by the name and perhaps get a new library card
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance and I did the K-1 visa, then did the AOS after we got married here in the USA. I didn't change my name to his until about a year after we were married. I wanted to do all the immigration forms in one name so as not to confuse anyone (including myself...lol). Plus I was just soooo tired of paperwork, I didn't even feel like doing my own name-change paperwork right away.

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:10 am
Account Closed

I could be overly cautious but I can't imagine it's a bad idea with these people.
USCIS doesn't care what name you use. USCIS does not cross-reference your application forms with the IRS to see that tax returns are kosher. Quite frankly, they don't have the resources for such an investigation. If you show up at an interview with a marriage certificate that easily explains why your last name is different, that'll be good enough. In my 10+ years in this forum, I can *not* recall a single incident of denial based on a name change due to a recent marriage.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Nov 17th 2008 at 10:17 am.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In my 10+ years in this forum, I can *not* recall a single incident of denial based on a name change due to a recent marriage.

Ian
Ditto to the rest of it and I have to add, I've never even seen anyone complaining that their case got messed up over different surnames. And plenty of people gave ample opportunity!