Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 or renew green card, which would be best?

N400 or renew green card, which would be best?

Old Sep 21st 2021, 10:49 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 or renew green card, which would be best?

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm 100% certain of this. If naturalizing based on marriage to a US Citizen which means you are eligible for naturalizing 90 days before your third anniversary of the green card and your marriage is already past your third anniversary date, you only need to account for the last three years of travel outside of the US.

It is right there in the chart in the N400.
I have no idea which version of the N-400 you are looking at. The 2019 has the below, option B has 3 years noted , but part 9 still asks for 5 years. I am sure the online version will ask for what’s needed. Not that it isa big deal either way, if they want more information they can ask at the interview anyway.

Old Sep 21st 2021, 10:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your post is completed unnessary. It is too large and unneeded.

I amended my last post.

But I was correct in the 3 year naturalization criteria re: travel; just wrong in his history.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth the online N-400 does a fairly good job at validating what you enter. If self filing I'd just use that.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 3:01 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 100% certain of this. If naturalizing based on marriage to a US Citizen which means you are eligible for naturalizing 90 days before your third anniversary of the green card and your marriage is already past your third anniversary date, you only need to account for the last three years of travel outside of the US.

It is right there in the chart in the N400.
Your post is completed unnessary. It is too large and unneeded.

I amended my last post.

But I was correct in the 3 year naturalization criteria re: travel; just wrong in his history.
I am kind of lost, and don’t understand you response.

If there are forum rules about the size of a post(image resolution or amount of text?) I was unaware and apologize.

Not sure what was unnessary unnecessary? Pointing out something I thought was wrong (based on my own direct experience in 2019) and citing the USCIS resources, which you now seem to agree was wrong since you amended your post?

Old Oct 5th 2021, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tht
try to download your travel history from here, that should be a good starting point to build your list, it was a pain, but with the entries and exists you only need to check your own records for the lists of countries you went to on any trip. The one other one to look out for is that same day trips are not included on the form, but do show in the travel history download. Also note that it keys of your passport number, so you may need to do multiple downloads if your renewed your passport or have multiple you use:

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-results
Thanks for providing, I will have to check this out. I'm pulling the final pieces together but I am going to file when I get back from the trip I have scheduled beginning this week, just due to timing and a few other things. This will be helpful!
Old Nov 4th 2021, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of

Well, I have everything pulled together, and am getting ready to submit but still working on my travel list (I have done a decent amount in 5 years). I plan to file online but downloaded a copy of the N-400 form to practice filling it in and I had some questions that I couldn't find the direct answer to and hoping someone here can help me:
  1. You can use the credit card payment for the N-400; I noted that if you mail it in it says to put that authorisation document at the top of your packet. This sounds like a dumb question, but when you upload online will it upload in order or first document uploaded first, or last document uploaded first? Want to take advantage of online filing as much as possible
  2. The question have I ever been a member of a and association, fund, foundation, party, club society or similar group is making me pause. What exactly are they looking for here? Is this professional types clubs like related to my work (for example SAE) or things like when I was in University in the UK I was a member of my Student Union? Want to make sure I answer the question as fully as possible.
Thanks all in advance for your wisdom!
Old Nov 4th 2021, 10:18 pm
tht

Originally Posted by ajmstevenson
Well, I have everything pulled together, and am getting ready to submit but still working on my travel list (I have done a decent amount in 5 years). I plan to file online but downloaded a copy of the N-400 form to practice filling it in and I had some questions that I couldn't find the direct answer to and hoping someone here can help me:
  1. You can use the credit card payment for the N-400; I noted that if you mail it in it says to put that authorisation document at the top of your packet. This sounds like a dumb question, but when you upload online will it upload in order or first document uploaded first, or last document uploaded first? Want to take advantage of online filing as much as possible
  2. The question have I ever been a member of a and association, fund, foundation, party, club society or similar group is making me pause. What exactly are they looking for here? Is this professional types clubs like related to my work (for example SAE) or things like when I was in University in the UK I was a member of my Student Union? Want to make sure I answer the question as fully as possible.
Thanks all in advance for your wisdom!
What are you working on for your travel list ?

download your dates here and then add the counties visited each trip, you may have to search with each passport if your have renewed it etc:

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search

1. You don’t upload forms, you fill in a web form, upload scanned documents and pay online.
2. I put a professional membership, you should check back to your green card/visa application forms, it would have been asked there so just add any new ones.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
What are you working on for your travel list ?

download your dates here and then add the counties visited each trip, you may have to search with each passport if your have renewed it etc:

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search.

So I tried that link and it keeps telling me no record found, which I know cannot be true. Any tips. I entered my first and last name, DOB and passport number and its coming up blank. Included my middle names also and nothing.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

So I tried that link and it keeps telling me no record found, which I know cannot be true. Any tips. I entered my first and last name, DOB and passport number and its coming up blank. Included my middle names also and nothing.
I just saw this in the FAQ section:
U.S. Citizen and Lawful Permanent Resident travel is NOT provided on this website

I'm assuming this is why its not pulling my history/records. Did anyone else run into this issue?
Old Nov 14th 2021, 11:51 pm
tht

I just saw this in the FAQ section:
U.S. Citizen and Lawful Permanent Resident travel is NOT provided on this website

I'm assuming this is why its not pulling my history/records. Did anyone else run into this issue?
Maybe they changed it in the last year or 2, in summer 2019 it worked for me as a LPR. I checked back and the PDF I saved has 5 years worth of arrival and departure dates.

Are you doing the travel history option?, not recent I-94, you won’t have one as an LPR.

Did you renew your passport? You need to use the passport number at the time of travel.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 1:11 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Maybe they changed it in the last year or 2, in summer 2019 it worked for me as a LPR. I checked back and the PDF I saved has 5 years worth of arrival and departure dates.

Are you doing the travel history option?, not recent I-94, you won’t have one as an LPR.

Did you renew your passport? You need to use the passport number at the time of travel.
I think it has been changed - I got the travel history for my N400 from there about 14 months ago but it didn't work for my daughter 4 months ago.
Old Nov 16th 2021, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thank to all for the guidance here, and that as of about 10 minutes ago I completed my application for the N-400 online. I was actually surprisingly easy even if the questions did feel repetitive, and I think while entering all my travel it timed out on me, but ultimately I made it through. Now its just sit back and wait. I do like that the system generates a receipt # for you right away and that you can message online with them for any questions.

Hoping this goes smoothly and will provide my updates as I get them. The document upload feature was pretty nice and slick, and i arranged things like my tax returns, bank statements etc and pdfs before I started the application so that helped.
Old Nov 16th 2021, 2:55 am
tht

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thank to all for the guidance here, and that as of about 10 minutes ago I completed my application for the N-400 online. I was actually surprisingly easy even if the questions did feel repetitive, and I think while entering all my travel it timed out on me, but ultimately I made it through. Now its just sit back and wait. I do like that the system generates a receipt # for you right away and that you can message online with them for any questions.

Hoping this goes smoothly and will provide my updates as I get them. The document upload feature was pretty nice and slick, and i arranged things like my tax returns, bank statements etc and pdfs before I started the application so that helped.
They may have fixed it, but when I did my N400 online some of the information I entered did not make it through to the system. It was fine at the interview, he went over everything, added what was missing (he said it was a known system issue that they had revived an internal email about) changed some things that I had entered correctly per the form but that but he said should be different. My only advise is take any backup documents (originals) you have and have it all organized in case they ask. Based on some of the reports we have had on here the office at which it’s being processed can make a big difference on wait times, and interview experience.
Old Nov 16th 2021, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Good Morning,

I got the "we have taken action on your case" email this morning. My status now reads "Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS". They uploaded the receipt notice and the biometric reuse notice, so looks like no biometrics appointment for me.

The case processing time estimate dropped from 15 months to 13 months so that's a good sign too I suppose; hoping it will take less time than that but happy to wait and see how I do. Now all I have to do is wait.

Alex

Old Jan 24th 2022, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Well, my estimated time to decision improved to 11 months but still no change in the status.

In other news my UK passport was coming due for renewal and the process could not be simpler. Did the application online, including uploading the photo which I could take on my phone, and shipped my old passport back via Fedex. I am now in two hurry up and wait queues with different governments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.