Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Process & Preparation Questions

N400 Process & Preparation Questions

Old Apr 6th 2016, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Process & Preparation Questions

Originally Posted by Rete
Also they are lagging in getting naturalization applications done these days. Apparently, Trump's call for all foreigners to become citizens so they can vote, have overwhelmed the district offices. It has taken a friend nearly seven months in Texas just to receive notification via email that an interview will be set up soon.
That seems surprising I'm curious if that's true for both Dallas and Phoenix service centers. Have you heard similar reports from others undertaking the N400 process?

Thanks, Rich.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richbogle84
Did you bring the originals of everything you submitted with your application?
I did, yes - except for the tax info... they were copies - but only because the IRS had the originals.

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2016, 3:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That seems surprising I'm curious if that's true for both Dallas and Phoenix service centers. Have you heard similar reports from others undertaking the N400 process?

Thanks, Rich.
Why surprising???????????

It is prime election year. Those who have held off naturalizing now want to be able to cast a vote and more than usual have applied for naturalization. Only so many application can be handled at any one time without withholding personnel from working on other type of benefits.

BTW I did say District Office not service center. They are two different animals.

The Service Center gave him an appointment for the biometrics within 45 days of application. It is the district office that handles the naturalization and they are the office that is behind at the moment.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

Its taking a while! I applied in June last year and had my interview in NYC back in January.. I was finally approved for Oath Ceremony last month and am still awaiting the date. Rete is right; its mostly so I can vote.

Brits seem to get a little more leeway in the interview. I too had a wonderful chat and forgot to bring bank statements (paperless - doh!) but was forgiven after using my best English accent.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

The Service Center gave him an appointment for the biometrics within 45 days of application. It is the district office that handles the naturalization and they are the office that is behind at the moment.
I'm submitting my application within the 90 day window prior to reaching three-years of permanent residence here in the US. Does anyone know if they simply put those applications in a pile until the three-years of permanent residence requirement is met, or do they actually go ahead and get the ball rolling when you submit? I understand I'm not eligible to be naturalized until the three years have passed...just curious if I should expect anything to happen before that in terms of the process.

Thanks, Rich.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jaffy23
I too had a wonderful chat and forgot to bring bank statements (paperless - doh!) but was forgiven after using my best English accent.
Is that actually something they had asked in advance for you to bring to the interview? Had you submitted statements already, along with your N-400 application?
Old Apr 7th 2016, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

It was not on the invitation letter! I submitted plenty of statements before and they were just PDF printouts from Chase.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 6:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm submitting my application within the 90 day window prior to reaching three-years of permanent residence here in the US. Does anyone know if they simply put those applications in a pile until the three-years of permanent residence requirement is met, or do they actually go ahead and get the ball rolling when you submit? I understand I'm not eligible to be naturalized until the three years have passed...just curious if I should expect anything to happen before that in terms of the process.

Thanks, Rich.
It goes in the same pile as all the other applicants, so the ball starts rolling along with the others.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2016, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jaffy23
It was not on the invitation letter! I submitted plenty of statements before and they were just PDF printouts from Chase.
That seems a little peculiar but good to know Did they ask to review original versions of other documents you had sent with the application?
Old Apr 7th 2016, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Did they ask to review original versions of other documents you had sent with the application?
With respect, you seem very anxious about this, even though the US government wants you to become a citizen and, unlike other US immigration processes, they will do everything they can to help you succeed. It doesn't matter what other people brought, or whether other people were asked for evidence... all that matters is that you have the material available if they ask you. They might... they might not. Knowing what someone else did or didn't do is, quite frankly, irrelevant information for you at this point in time - because they're experience is likely not going to be your experience... and all that irrelevant information is simply fueling your anxiety.

Step away from the computer and get on with life. The universe will unfold as it should.

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2016, 9:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, the only ball rolling at that point is looking over the application to ensure completeness and then scheduling your biometrics. Then it is forwarded to the district office to schedule the interview.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 9:10 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, you seem very anxious about this, ........................ because they're experience is likely not going to be your experience... and all that irrelevant information is simply fueling your anxiety.

Step away from the computer and get on with life. The universe will unfold as it should.

Ian

Ahhh a man with sense ... how delightful
Old Apr 7th 2016, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian,

I think it's less about anxiety at this point, and more about general curiosity. Based on the answers you and others have provided, I already plan to bring originals to my interview for everything submitted with the application, but I remain curious about others' experiences.

Curiosity aside, there's the seemingly futile effort trying to make sense of the process and people's differing experiences of it which you alluded to...

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
They might... they might not. Knowing what someone else did or didn't do is, quite frankly, irrelevant information for you at this point in time - because they're experience is likely not going to be your experience
Anyways, with a trip to the post office on Monday, I begin what is hopefully the last leg of the immigration journey so that I can (to your point) carry on with life

Rich.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 11:04 pm
Concierge

You really have to stop and realize that each district officer will conduct an interview in their own manner. It is no different then going through the POE.

Trying to make sense of things in regards to someone else is futile. Your many experiences differed from others in your prior interaction with USCIS. So why would you think it would be different now. FWIW, the process makes perfect sense. It does not vary but is a constant. Only the experience might vary and that again, depends on the personality and wakeup mood of the adjudicating officer.

Unless you are fearful about the legitimacy of your qualification for naturalization, then let it go and get on with your life.

Like with all interview, be it at the Consulate or the USCIS, originals were always brought to the interview and copies were always sent with the application, unless they specifically asked for originals.

While you wrote books about your pass experiences, they are unique to YOU, just as my written synopsis of the processes that we experienced were unique to us. The only thing that is constant is the manner of the completion of the forms and what is included as evidence, if it is available.

BTW Dallas is now conducting N-400 interviews on a Saturday. My friend is having theirs on the 7th of May.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 1:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You really have to stop and realize that each district officer will conduct an interview in their own manner. .....
So you don't think my interview (#12, above), was standard operating procedure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.