Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Old Dec 19th 2013, 4:16 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Originally Posted by jmood
Hey Rich, that's great. Seems you had a really nice officer.

Well, I had my N-336 (appeal on naturalization) interview a few days ago. It seems I was lucky too and had a really nice officer. I had missed 2 oath ceremonies earlier this year and a letter requiring a reply within a deadline which was why I had been denied and had appealed. This officer said that they did not care why I had missed those things as long as all the requirements I had originally met when submitting the N-400 were still in place. They were. Regarding my absence out of the US of 6 months, he said "180 days within your time frame is fine". (He obviously did not count total number of days as a lawyer told me is done, just the months and assumed that 6 months equals 180 days.) So he recommended me for approval but said my FBI clearance has expired and needs to be renewed so I am now awaiting new biometrics.

It has now been more than 18 months since I applied for the N-400. Sigh...

It was solely my fault that I missed 2 oath ceremonies. On the other hand, that approval and notice of oath ceremony came more than 5 months (YES, MORE THAN FIVE MONTHS) after my N-400 interview in which everything was complete, fine, no loose ends, no question marks. I have no idea why that officer chose not to approve me on the spot, or why he took his sweet time afterwards. I know that some may not like what I'm about to write, but I think these things have something to do with the officer itself. Their level of competency, level of self-confidence to assess and complete a case, or something like that. Both the officer at my AOS interview and the one in my N-400 interview had me thinking at the time they could only do the one job they were in, whereas the one I met at the N-336 interview gave me the impression he was well educated, brighter and more capable than the ones I'd met before. Sorry again if this offends anyone, I don't think it should, but saying just in case.
Nothing wrong with offending immigration officers, unless you want a positive outcome!

I had realized I had not been given the civics test, but I chose not to volunteer that info, per standard advice given on here.

Had I done so, and completed/passed the test, and still had the decree to submit by mail, I would be looking at the end of Jan for the oath ceremony.

My girl admitted, she has been doing AOS interviews for years, and only recently got back on N400's - " and it's all changed" ...
Old Dec 19th 2013, 1:52 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you extrapolated the "standard advice" a bit too far. That advice is with regard to answering quetions asked by the interviewer, it hasn't been advised that an interviewee should not ask questions of the interviewer.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by RICH
I had realized I had not been given the civics test, but I chose not to volunteer that info, per standard advice given on here.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 19th 2013 at 1:55 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 3:12 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I think you extrapolated the "standard advice" a bit too far. That advice is with regard to answering quetions asked by the interviewer, it hasn't been advised that an interviewee should not ask questions of the interviewer.

Regards, JEff
Maybe so. But using an often used analogy, if asked if you know what time it is, say yes.

I extrapolated, and chose not to ask if they would like to know what time it is.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 11:33 pm
BE Irregular

My name is RICH and I am an American.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 2:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Citizen RICH.

Ian
Old Dec 21st 2013, 7:45 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Have you got a flag?
Old Dec 24th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Irregular

Quick write up of the ceremony, which was uneventful.

Arrived in good time for 10am appointment. Quite a queue, compared to the Monday visits above. Security -usual deal. Then into waiting room, then line up and show appointment form, with questionairre about any changes since interview (arrests etc). Trooped off to ceremony hall, in groups of 10 or so. Hand in the form, and the Green Card. Take a seat.

There were 77 canditates fromm 37 countries they told us later. Once all 77 were accounted for , they let in family & friends - must have been 150 of them- seating/ room was mostly filled.

Candidates had a package on seats, containing; a small flag, booklet of the Declaration and Constitution, Citizen's Almanac, Voter's guide, welcome letter, passport Application, message from President.

Video message from Madeline Albright - who knew she was an immigrant!

Stand for a decent version of the National Anthem - not many sang along!

Then they had us stand up per country, to applause all round. All took the Oath of Allegiance together. Speech by the Field Office Director.

Video Message from President, Video to "Proud to be an American".

Pledge of Allegiance, then Certificates handed out as we left, close to 11AM

It was fairly informal, they allowed the guests to wander round taking photos.

No opportunity to apply for passport/register to vote on site, which I have heard happened for someone previously in Tampa.

Passport App is supposed to take about 4 weeks. Expedited - (2 weeks) requires a trip to Miami apparently, should it be needed.

SSN update, need to wait 10 days for the systems to synch.

That's about it from me then. Aug 21 sent Application, Dec 20th Oath ceremony (Gov shutdown in the middle) Make of it what you will
Old Dec 24th 2013, 2:00 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Me, for one.

Congratulations!

Best regards, JEff
Video message from Madeline Albright - who knew she was an immigrant!
Old Dec 24th 2013, 3:22 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Rich

All very much of an anti climax very cheesy I thought, and personally could not wait to get my ass out of there
Old Dec 31st 2013, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Rich.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Many Congratulations, Rich.