Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Old Nov 7th 2011, 3:17 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Card update.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Milan, you might want to read this before you make the trip:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1097.html

Just because you hold a German passport does not mean you are NOT a USC right now, and USC's are not supposed to travel to Cuba. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, especially if your flight originates in the USA. There are TONS of other places to visit in the world.

Rene
I seem to remember reading about someone else that had a nasty experience trying this stunt a while back I don't think it was BE.

Watch this site the next thing will be new thread (Stuck in Cuba will US Embassy help me!!")
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Milan, you might want to read this before you make the trip:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1097.html
I found this bit really interesting: "Cuba has announced that as of May 2010 it will start requiring visitors to have non-U.S. medical insurance, and will sell a temporary policy to those who do not have it."

Ian
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Two quick questions:

The oath letter lists three things to bring along with the letter itself:
- alien registration card, check
- Re-entry permit or refugee document, never had one
- any immigration documents you may have????

That last one is a puzzler, I don't think I have any others, anything I might be forgetting?

Next question. Once I have taken the oath and become an American can my current employer demand to see my naturalization certificate? One assumes they no longer need to fill in I-9 or whatever. In normal circumstances one might just walk over to HR and wave it at them, except I work from home and the office is in a different state. The thought of emailing a scan of such an important doc unnerves me despite having previously emailed my greencard to them.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I found this bit really interesting: "Cuba has announced that as of May 2010 it will start requiring visitors to have non-U.S. medical insurance, and will sell a temporary policy to those who do not have it."

Ian
ian, you are right and others. :-( Trip is canceled. Thank god I spend 19.95 for the travel insurance that way I am getting full refund for my ticket and hotel package. :-(

Back to passports. I have Czech, German and now US passport. So since I became an American citizen have I lost my German and Czech citizenship? Does anyone know? Thank you.

Last edited by adjudicator89; Nov 8th 2011 at 12:06 am.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:48 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milan79
So since I became an American citizen have I lost my German and Czech citizenship?
The best place to start would be the German and Czech Embassy.

Ian
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I don't think I have any others, anything I might be forgetting?
All you need is your GC and the EAD/AP if you have. You don't have... so no worries.

Once I have taken the oath and become an American can my current employer demand to see my naturalization certificate?
No. Once eligibility has been shown (read = GC) they are not allowed to reverify your credentials.

One assumes they no longer need to fill in I-9 or whatever.
You do not need to complete a new I-9 until such time as you have new employment.

Ian
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
That last one is a puzzler, I don't think I have any others, anything I might be forgetting?
If they never collected your EAD or AP, for example.

Next question. Once I have taken the oath and become an American can my current employer demand to see my naturalization certificate? One assumes they no longer need to fill in I-9 or whatever. In normal circumstances one might just walk over to HR and wave it at them, except I work from home and the office is in a different state. The thought of emailing a scan of such an important doc unnerves me despite having previously emailed my greencard to them.
I don't think your employer needs to see your certificate, no. I don't think they are supposed to re-verify the I-9 you previously submitted. Even if they do need a new I-9 from you, a scan wouldn't do. Someone with the company needs to see the original certificate and sign the I-9 verifying they saw the original.

Rene
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

If they never collected your EAD or AP, for example.
Ahh, after a little digging I have now found 2 EADs, a paper AP and a 2yr Greencard. I really need to consolidate and reorganize all my immigration papers into one neat folder for posterity after all this.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Back to passports. I have Czech, German and now US passport. So since I became an American citizen have I lost my German and Czech citizenship? Does anyone know? Thank you.
From the amazingly reliable source that is wikipedia :

German citizenship is automatically lost when a German citizen voluntarily acquires the citizenship of another country. To this there are two exceptions:

1. When the German citizen acquires a nationality from within the European Union, Switzerland, or another country with which Germany has a corresponding treaty.
2. When permission to obtain a foreign citizenship has been applied for and granted in advance of foreign naturalisation. A so-called permit to retain German citizenship must be obtained prior to naturalization. Failure to obtain a permit to retain German citizenship prior to naturalization results in the individual automatically losing German citizenship upon becoming a naturalized citizen of another country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law

Czech citizenship can be renounced voluntarily if doing so wouldn't cause one to be stateless, or by gaining the citizenship of another state, (effectively banning dual citizenship) unless it is in connection with a marriage or by birth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_nationality_law

But like Ian said, check with the embassies. Wikipedia isn't always right.

Last edited by hobbes79; Nov 8th 2011 at 12:10 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
From the amazingly reliable source that is wikipedia :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_nationality_law

But like Ian said, check with the embassies. Wikipedia isn't always right.
Thank you hobbes. I will check with embassies. Milan
Old Nov 8th 2011, 3:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you hobbes. I will check with embassies. Milan
My nephew-in-law is German so I would be interested in what they say. He can apply for US citizenship next year, but is fairly certain to do so means losing his German citizenship.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No. Once eligibility has been shown (read = GC) they are not allowed to reverify your credentials.

You do not need to complete a new I-9 until such time as you have new employment.
I don't think your employer needs to see your certificate, no. I don't think they are supposed to re-verify the I-9 you previously submitted. Even if they do need a new I-9 from you, a scan wouldn't do. Someone with the company needs to see the original certificate and sign the I-9 verifying they saw the original.
Hmm interesting. I was just looking at the I-9 form and I suppose they might need to re-verify if the document they used to verify me expired at some point in the future. But all that said, the list of acceptable documents does NOT list "Certificate of Naturalization". If they really want something, I'll tell them to wait until my passport is done.

Press release detailing elimination of N550 from list
Old Nov 20th 2011, 11:47 pm
Your Fellow American

Scotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to all

Glad you are all fixed up Milan.. Congrats :sunglasses:
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:52 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I sent in my application late September, 3 months before my 5 years was up. Had my biometrics done late October and my interview took place earlier today.

I went to a new 'mobile office', a satellite to what is apparently the usual main office located some 2 hours drive away. Luckily the mobile office is 5 minutes drive from my house, so I considered myself lucky.

I arrived in the waiting room 15 minutes ahead of scheduled time, and was kept waiting until 10 minutes after, but from then on the whole process took only 15 minutes and I was out of the door. I had left my mobile phone at home after reading other comments, but there was no real security or related signage so it wouldn't have mattered if I had brought it.

Everything was quite straightforward, although he said at the outset that I couldn't be approved today as I am still within the 5 year window (just) due to the speed that my application was processed.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 11:31 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
My nephew-in-law is German so I would be interested in what they say. He can apply for US citizenship next year, but is fairly certain to do so means losing his German citizenship.
You can apply for some kind of dispensation from Germany that means that, if approved, you keep your German citizenship. Mrs tonrob started to research this, and while the high-level criteria seems clear (prove some kind of disadvantage if you were not able to have each of the two citizenships) the details around the specifics of what it takes to get approved are not. She read quite a lot on a German forum but came away not much the wiser.

As we've both been very busy this year following the birth of the Sproutlet she decided not to pursue this further for the time being.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.