Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Old Sep 30th 2013, 12:19 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Excellent. Congratulations.
Your schedule matches my expectation. Government shutdown notwithstanding!
Old Sep 30th 2013, 6:26 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Excellent. Congratulations.
Your schedule matches my expectation. Government shutdown notwithstanding!
Thank you.

Funny story - in November 1995 I had my interview scheduled in London for my K1 visa. I was very excited about this because the medical/interview was the last stage of the process, and once approved I could buy my ticket and plan for my new life in the US.

A couple of days before the interview I get a phone call from a guy with an Indian accent saying my appointment date would have to be rescheduled because the US Embassy did not have enough money to open! I thought it was one of my friends winding me up and I refused to believe him - how could the most powerful country in the world not have enough money to open their embassy? But unfortunately it was true. It was the furlough of 1995/96 I had to wait another month, but it all worked out in the end.

So, the moral of the story is - in the big picture a month or so delay with not be the end of the world. Good luck to you.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
A couple of days before the interview I get a phone call from a guy with an Indian accent saying my appointment date would have to be rescheduled because the US Embassy did not have enough money to open! I thought it was one of my friends winding me up and I refused to believe him - how could the most powerful country in the world not have enough money to open their embassy? But unfortunately it was true. It was the furlough of 1995/96 I had to wait another month, but it all worked out in the end.
Good story! My own Oath Ceremony was delayed because former President Reagan died, and (then) President Bush decided to declare a national day of mourning... the same day as my Oath Ceremony. It was rescheduled a few weeks later and, just like you, it all worked out in the end.

Ian
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:10 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Good story! My own Oath Ceremony was delayed because former President Reagan died, a
Ian
Wow! you have been here some years then
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:49 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
What year was that? - I think it's one of the questions at the interview
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 7:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
I feel old, that's for sure! Sheila and I were married in 1998, I became a PR in 2001 and a USC in 2004. My US passport expires in less than 10 months... but I think I'll wait until the government gets its act together before renewing!

Ian
Old Nov 10th 2013, 1:34 am
BE Irregular

Interview letter received 9 Nov. Appointment dec 16. More or less on schedule.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:31 am
BE Irregular

Today I received an additional letter from USCIs, on bright yellow paper, which boiled down to: USCIS recommends you bring with you to the interview the following documents - Your State issued Driver's Licence, or ID card.

Not a problem of course, but is this new? or a local office thing?, or specific to me?

What do you think that is all about?

The docs required to be brought, per the original appointment letter were PR Card and Passport, plus others if they apply to my case, which they do not.

Ho Hum
Old Nov 13th 2013, 2:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Today I received an additional letter from USCIs, on bright yellow paper, which boiled down to: USCIS recommends you bring with you to the interview the following documents - Your State issued Driver's Licence, or ID card.

Not a problem of course, but is this new? or a local office thing?, or specific to me?

What do you think that is all about?

The docs required to be brought, per the original appointment letter were PR Card and Passport, plus others if they apply to my case, which they do not.

Ho Hum
I had to bring mine, and its also advisable for quicker entry into the building rather than standing there with loads of paperwork, they want ID to get you in for the interview .....you're fine
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:38 pm
BE Irregular

Interview was today @ Noon. Arrived, security, check-in, get number, got into waiting room 10 mins to 12. 10 past, number called went to a window, got fingerprinted, photo and more check-in.
As I left the desk my name was called. The interviewer was ahead of the pack, and had to get more stuff from the previous person first! 5 minute wait, and she was back and took me to an office.

First question> Do you have your divorce decree? - No. I missed where that was required! (Am applying based on 5 years, not 3 years and marriage, it seems it is required anyway.)

Anyway, she ran through the details on my N400, looked at Green card & passport, then the test.

Read the first sentence "Who was the first President of the US" -Pass.
Write "George Washington was the first President" - Pass
End of test.<keep reading>

She gave me a letter (RFE ) to mail in a copy of the divorce, and off I went. Out the door at 12.40.

Home at 1.15 (I took the day off). Phone rings, it is the interviewer - Sorry she forgot to do the History/civics test. If I can come back (and bring the divorce paper too) she will to the test, and squeeze me into the oath ceremony on Friday
So scrambled around for the decree, made a sandwich and headed back (only 30 mins outside rush hour).

Explained to security I was called back, which seemed to bemuse them, they called her, we did the test - 6 q's 6 correct. She copied the decree for me, and took the file off for "re-review" which is apparently standard, and that person came out and gave me the appointment for the Oath ceremony on Dec 20th. Back home at 3.30pm.

All good
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome!! That's so funny that she forgot to do the civics test. LOL

Congrats!

Rene
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:51 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is required of all applicants for naturalization. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to remedy so quickly and no time lost.

Regards, JEff
First question> Do you have your divorce decree? - No. I missed where that was required! (Am applying based on 5 years, not 3 years and marriage, it seems it is required anyway.)
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rich, that's great. Seems you had a really nice officer.

Well, I had my N-336 (appeal on naturalization) interview a few days ago. It seems I was lucky too and had a really nice officer. I had missed 2 oath ceremonies earlier this year and a letter requiring a reply within a deadline which was why I had been denied and had appealed. This officer said that they did not care why I had missed those things as long as all the requirements I had originally met when submitting the N-400 were still in place. They were. Regarding my absence out of the US of 6 months, he said "180 days within your time frame is fine". (He obviously did not count total number of days as a lawyer told me is done, just the months and assumed that 6 months equals 180 days.) So he recommended me for approval but said my FBI clearance has expired and needs to be renewed so I am now awaiting new biometrics.

It has now been more than 18 months since I applied for the N-400. Sigh...

It was solely my fault that I missed 2 oath ceremonies. On the other hand, that approval and notice of oath ceremony came more than 5 months (YES, MORE THAN FIVE MONTHS) after my N-400 interview in which everything was complete, fine, no loose ends, no question marks. I have no idea why that officer chose not to approve me on the spot, or why he took his sweet time afterwards. I know that some may not like what I'm about to write, but I think these things have something to do with the officer itself. Their level of competency, level of self-confidence to assess and complete a case, or something like that. Both the officer at my AOS interview and the one in my N-400 interview had me thinking at the time they could only do the one job they were in, whereas the one I met at the N-336 interview gave me the impression he was well educated, brighter and more capable than the ones I'd met before. Sorry again if this offends anyone, I don't think it should, but saying just in case.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations RICH. God job you lived close enough to get back to the office easily.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 10:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Interview was today @ Noon. Arrived, security, check-in, get number, got into waiting room 10 mins to 12. 10 past, number called went to a window, got fingerprinted, photo and more check-in.
As I left the desk my name was called. The interviewer was ahead of the pack, and had to get more stuff from the previous person first! 5 minute wait, and she was back and took me to an office.

Anyway, she ran through the details on my N400, looked at Green card & passport, then the test.

Read the first sentence "Who was the first President of the US" -Pass.
Write "George Washington was the first President" - Pass
End of test.<keep reading>

She gave me a letter (RFE ) to mail in a copy of the divorce, and off I went. Out the door at 12.40.

Home at 1.15 (I took the day off). Phone rings, it is the interviewer - Sorry she forgot to do the History/civics test. If I can come back (and bring the divorce paper too) she will to the test, and squeeze me into the oath ceremony on Friday
So scrambled around for the decree, made a sandwich and headed back (only 30 mins outside rush hour).

Explained to security I was called back, which seemed to bemuse them, they called her, we did the test - 6 q's 6 correct. She copied the decree for me, and took the file off for "re-review" which is apparently standard, and that person came out and gave me the appointment for the Oath ceremony on Dec 20th. Back home at 3.30pm.

All good
Wonderful news I had to wait the 5 years as well, but did not forget the decree .......Excellant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.