Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Old May 15th 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Originally Posted by BellaE
Had my biometrics appointment today, and had the same trouble with my fingerprints that I had when I renewed my GC. Apparently my fingerprints are worn down (supposedly from using the computer, doing gardening, and too much hand-washing.) I hope that I don't have to go back for a 2nd go-round, but I did want to mention this, in case any readers of BE may be interested in a life of crime. Simply post on BE a lot, wash your hands frequently,and you may be able to rob banks without wearing gloves.
Well, apparently the FBI could "read" my worn-down fingerprints, as I got the notice yesterday for an interview on June 14th -- I will be traveling on business, so will have to re-schedule. According to the notice, since I am over 50 and have been a permanent resident in the US over 20 years I will not have to demonstrate my ability to speak, read, and write English, which is a great relief.
Old May 15th 2012, 5:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Interview day tomorrow....... and I am totally bricking it!! know all my questions, have passport photos, photocopies of everything and know what I am going to wear... giving myself 1.5 hours for a 50 mins journey and STILL waking up every night in a cold sweat!!

Hubby's interview is 30 mins before mine, so I might not see him before he goes in!! I shall make sure he dresses "appropriately" and takes his little packet of goodies with him to work!! he works about 3 blocks from the immigration building.

Anyway - its just another day in the journey I suppose and what's the worst that can happen
Best of luck to you both. If you have prepared the test questions well, there is nothing else to worry about. The rest is just the formality of confirming that the application you submitted is still correct.
Old May 16th 2012, 10:38 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

So we are done.. interview was fine.. I got all my questions right:

What is the "rule of law"
How old do citizens have to be to vote for President
What major event happened on Sept 11 2011 in the USA
What ocean is on the West coast of the US
Why does the flag have 13 stripes
What is the name of the national anthem

I then was asked to read a sentence, "Colombus Day is a Holiday" and to write "People like to vote"

I passed and was then offered a same day oath ceremony so we went away and came back 2 hours later, 87 people from 29 different countries and that is it - THE END!!

It has been a pretty easy ride for us and wish everyone well for their naturalization!!!
Attached Thumbnails N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011-img_4012.jpg  
Old May 17th 2012, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Congrads! Nice picture. :-)
Old May 17th 2012, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
I passed and was then offered a same day oath ceremony so we went away and came back 2 hours later, 87 people from 29 different countries and that is it - THE END!!
Congratulations citizen Burn1911.

Ian
Old May 18th 2012, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm done! Oath Ceremony was this morning, and I'm now a US citizen!

The ceremony was VERY long and uncomfortable. There were 152 candidates (from 42 countries) to get through, plus a middle-school choir, and a speech from a local community leader, and a speech from the judge, and....hundreds of people cramped in a theater for over two hours breathing hot air. Ugh!

But I'm glad to be a USC

They also had a voting registration booth set up outside, so I got that taken care of as well.
Old May 18th 2012, 10:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to both Burn1911 and gemmabl
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

BeataB is an unknown quantity at this point

Starting the N-400 process in Chicago. Mailed my application right at the beginning of June, and just got my notice for fingerprinting, which will take place July 5th.

I'm quite nervous already, which does not bode well for when the interview comes around!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice

Received the biometrics notice yesterday - after sending in the application over a month ago (I'm jealous of the previous posters quick processing!) and DH is also scheduled on July 5th which just happens to be his 35th birthday!

I am especially happy because DH is self employed and works odd hours and absolutely hates to take time off for things. I was worried the appointment might disrupt his work schedule but 1) it doesn't at all and falls at an ideal time for him and 2) he said that he is taking this whole process "very seriously and wouldn't dream of requesting a reschedule to accommodate his work schedule." Sounds simple, but for him, that is a very big statement to make!

Last edited by HisBetterHalf; Jun 12th 2012 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by BeataB
Starting the N-400 process in Chicago. Mailed my application right at the beginning of June, and just got my notice for fingerprinting, which will take place July 5th.

I'm quite nervous already, which does not bode well for when the interview comes around!
No need to be nervous. Of all the dealings you would have had with USCIS this is the one they want you to be successful at. Just learn the answers to the questions in the booklet, and on the CD, you will get at the biometrics, and you will be fine.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by HisBetterHalf

I am especially happy because DH is self employed and works odd hours and absolutely hates to take time off for things. I was worried the appointment might disrupt his work schedule but 1) it doesn't at all and falls at an ideal time for him and 2) he said that he is taking this whole process "very seriously and wouldn't dream of requesting a reschedule to accommodate his work schedule." Sounds simple, but for him, that is a very big statement to make!
Now he has the appointment letter, if he happens to be in the vicinity of the office he can try just walking in and seeing if they will do it. In most cases people have been dealt with when doing so, as long as they have the appointment letter. If that is more convenient for him.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice

Originally Posted by lansbury
Now he has the appointment letter, if he happens to be in the vicinity of the office he can try just walking in and seeing if they will do it. In most cases people have been dealt with when doing so, as long as they have the appointment letter. If that is more convenient for him.
Really? Even if it is weeks in advance? Hmmmm - I'll run that option past him. Thanks for the tip!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by HisBetterHalf
Really? Even if it is weeks in advance? Hmmmm - I'll run that option past him. Thanks for the tip!
If it is not inconvenient to do so, nothing to lose. Worse they can do is say no. But most people seem to get it done, when they've walked in.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
If it is not inconvenient to do so, nothing to lose. Worse they can do is say no. But most people seem to get it done, when they've walked in.
This is really good to know - especially if it means he can get out of having the appointment on his birthday. Thank you, again!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

I had an interview scheduled for yesterday, which I asked to have re-scheduled as soon as I received the notice, as I was traveling on business. In the letter I also told them two other weeks that I would be out of state. I have had a notice saying they canceled my interview for the 14th, but not a peep since regarding a new interview date. My friend's husband who also had to reschedule an interview got a new appointment pretty quickly, so since it has been nearly a month, I am getting worried.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.