Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Originally Posted by clarissageo
When I told him Gatlinburg TN, he said 'good' - apparently, and most people don't know this, but if you get married outside the US, you don't legally take on your husbands name automatically. You can use it, but you should be changing it through the courts!!
Respectfully, he's totally wrong about this... since even in the US, you don't ever legally take on your husband's name automatically. Once you're in the US, you can assume whatever name you want - whether it's your husband's or anyone else's - as long as your intent is not to commit fraud. Your maiden name is always your legal name regardless of any other names you assume. The law allows you to assume your husband's name, but you never legally take on your husband's name unless you apply through the court system for a name change - after which, your husband's name becomes your legal name. If you do change your name through the court system and subsequently get divorced, you can't simply revert back to your maiden name... you must, once again, go through the court system for a change of name.

Anyway, that aside... congratulations! Sounds like you had a great day!

... he told me that they all keep a VERY close eye on these boards, and on Facebook as well!!
The long-time members of this forum know that they do this... this was confirmed about 8-10 years ago, but it's nice to know they still care!

Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

The long-time members of this forum know that they do this... this was confirmed about 8-10 years ago, but it's nice to know they still care!

Ian
How was it confirmed?

And are there any insiders? Like immigration offials posing as Moderators for example..
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
How was it confirmed?
The same way clarissageo confirmed it... but, IIRC, this was before the UseNet newsgroup alt.visa.us was cut from BE.

Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:59 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

How was it confirmed?

And are there any insiders? Like immigration offials posing as Moderators for example..
I had an officer tell me the same thing in Fresno about 3 years ago... there was also a story on another board a few years ago, and couple had posted their journey etc etc and when they went for the GC interview the IO knew the whole thread they had been following from beginning to end and because this particular couple had been so discript and detailed the officer openly admitted they had been following them!!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:06 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

How was it confirmed?

It was a work aquantence who was a C/O at the US Embassy in London who told me about BE, the usenet group, and Visa Journey and recommended them as a source of good advice. That was back in late 2005.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice

We are getting the paperwork together for my husband's (UKC) N-400 application (based on marriage) and I had a few questions:

1) My husband is an independent music teacher/musician, so our tax return is pretty complicated and lengthy with all the additional forms. I printed up what our preparer gave us and it was arounds 30 pages for each of the past three years. Do I have to submit all of that or can i just pull out the 1040 and a few other key forms (can't remember the names) that should our names together and joint filing status?

2) Related to that, I have ordered IRS Transcripts for the past three years - but I ordered them under my name (I'm a USC) -simply because I happened to be at the computer and thought to do it. Since we file married-joint, that shouldn't be an issue, should it? Or should I re-order the transcripts under my husband's name and SSN.

** yes, I realize that I need only the returns OR the transcripts - - I ordered the transcripts in case it turns out that we should submit the whole return (at 30+ pages). However, if the transcripts take forever to get here (requested them on the 17th - tax day!) then I will send things off with just the returns and we/he can take the transcripts to the interview.

3) What is the best way to post the whole big packet of info for the N-400? Certified mail?

4) Employment dates - As an independent music teacher, my husband has taught at various local venues and for a few of them, we cannot quite remember the exact dates of employment. If we know the year and approimate month, is that sufficient? Some of them were 4+ years ago and since it is a marriage based application, only the past three years really matter, correct?

I'm sure I will find more questions to ask as we finish preparing things. We want to get it all in the mail by the end of the week - in the hopes of having the process completed by the November elections.

The husband was studying up in the 100 questions last night (nothing like prepping early!) and asked me to order him some books on US History and government. I thought it was cute since I had asked him to get me a bunch of British history books for Christmas. Yes, we are geeks that way.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HisBetterHalf
Do I have to submit all of that...
Yes, the entire return... with W2s, and all the forms and schedules

Since we file married-joint, that shouldn't be an issue, should it?
It should not be an issue.

3) What is the best way to post the whole big packet of info for the N-400? Certified mail?
Regular USPS mail is fine with a return receipt. All you need is some way to track the packet.

If we know the year and approimate month, is that sufficient?
Yes, it is.

... since it is a marriage based application, only the past three years really matter, correct?
Correct.

Ian
Old May 2nd 2012, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice

Thanks, Ian!

Mailed off the packet (book?) of papers today. Whoohoo!

On the way to the post office, however, had a bit of a run-in with another driver who wouldn't let me change lanes because, apparently, the chat he was having on his mobile was far more important than paying attention to driving . . . until of course, I needed to change lanes - then his attention was solely focused on preventing that. Idiot. He would have preferred I collide with his car than simply allow me to merge into his lane - hell, at one point he actually did try to hit me with is car! I have NEVER seen such aggressively awful and antagonisticly rude driving. I was flabbergasted!

His continued erratic driving and "friendly" gestures to me (all while still on the phone, I think), had me so rattled that when I got to the post office, my hands were shaking so badly, I could barely print out the correct address! In fact, I initially put the wrong ZIP code on it and only realized when I was filling out the corresponding certified mail/return receipt ticket.

Ugh.

But the packet is off to Phoenix now and hopefully things will progress more smoothly from here!
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HisBetterHalf
On the way to the post office, however, had a bit of a run-in with another driver who wouldn't let me change lanes because, apparently, the chat he was having on his mobile was far more important than paying attention to driving . . . until of course, I needed to change lanes - then his attention was solely focused on preventing that.
More often than not, I'll pull out my cell phone, aim it at the guy in the next car and then make motions with my finger as if to imply that I'm taking photos! It's really only effective if he sees you though... so I usually make sure he does. After that, you'd be surprised how easy it is to change lanes. And... of course, I've not actually taken a photo of anything at all... just gone through the motions.

Ian
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
More often than not, I'll pull out my cell phone, aim it at the guy in the next car and then make motions with my finger as if to imply that I'm taking photos! It's really only effective if he sees you though... so I usually make sure he does. After that, you'd be surprised how easy it is to change lanes. And... of course, I've not actually taken a photo of anything at all... just gone through the motions.

Ian
In the past, I have called 911 and reported the offensive driver (including license plate number) to the local police or highway patrol.

Rene
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In the past, I have called 911 and reported the offensive driver (including license plate number) to the local police or highway patrol.

Rene
I wish I had had my wits about me to do such a thing! But as it was, I was so shaken, and a bit afraid he was turning off to the post office like me, that the thought never occured to me. His actions definitely would have warranted a citation for reckless driving.

I like Ian's phone/camera idea though. I'll have to remember that one!
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's my experience:

Sent in the N-400 document and supporting documents on January 26 I think (express certified mail). Received a text message and email that they received it the following Monday.

Got the letter for biometrics about two weeks later (Feb 3rd-ish), and the appointment was two weeks after that (Feb 17th-ish). About two weeks after the biometrics appointment I got my interview letter (March 5th-ish).

My interview was last Thursday. I haven't received my oath ceremony letter yet though.

I answered the first six questions in the interview correctly. Can't remember them all now, but they included:
How many Supreme Court justices are there?
What does the President's cabinet do?
Name one branch of the government
If the President and Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?

I can't remember the sentence he asked me to read, but I had to write "Columbus Day is in October"

I'm sorry to hear about all the people who have to drive so far to go to these appointments. My parents are in the same boat. They live near Mobile, and have to drive to New Orleans for everything. What a hassle! I'm in Wichita, and I only had to go two miles down the road to my local field office.
Old May 4th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Had my biometrics appointment today, and had the same trouble with my fingerprints that I had when I renewed my GC. Apparently my fingerprints are worn down (supposedly from using the computer, doing gardening, and too much hand-washing.) I hope that I don't have to go back for a 2nd go-round, but I did want to mention this, in case any readers of BE may be interested in a life of crime. Simply post on BE a lot, wash your hands frequently,and you may be able to rob banks without wearing gloves.
Old May 15th 2012, 1:58 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Interview day tomorrow....... and I am totally bricking it!! know all my questions, have passport photos, photocopies of everything and know what I am going to wear... giving myself 1.5 hours for a 50 mins journey and STILL waking up every night in a cold sweat!!

Hubby's interview is 30 mins before mine, so I might not see him before he goes in!! I shall make sure he dresses "appropriately" and takes his little packet of goodies with him to work!! he works about 3 blocks from the immigration building.

Anyway - its just another day in the journey I suppose and what's the worst that can happen
Old May 15th 2012, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck at your interview! I was freaking out about it too, but it was such a breeze in the end. It only lasted 15 minutes. I just dressed business casual, and the agent interviewing me was pretty casual as well - and FRIENDLY!

I have my oath ceremony this Friday, and I can't wait for it all to be over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.