Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 interview spouse documentation?

Wikiposts

N-400 interview spouse documentation?

Old Mar 5th 2002, 3:05 am
Richard Kautz

Default N-400 interview spouse documentation?

My wife will be having her naturalization interview (yay) in Atlanta in May (N-400
filed April 2001). One of the required documents is either my birth certificate,
naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship.

I was born a dual citizen in Canada, and have a US passport but no certificate of
citizenship. Has anyone had experience using a passport in lieu of a CoC?

Old Mar 5th 2002, 4:35 am
Chris Moorehead

Default Re: N-400 interview spouse documentation?

[email protected] (Richard Kautz) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> My wife will be having her naturalization interview (yay) in Atlanta in May (N-400
    > filed April 2001). One of the required documents is either my birth certificate,
    > naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship.
    >
    > I was born a dual citizen in Canada, and have a US passport but no certificate of
    > citizenship. Has anyone had experience using a passport in lieu of a CoC?

What documentation did you use to obtain your US passport? If you were born in
Canada, your parents must have registered you at the US Consulate, & you should have
a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad". This should be accepted by the INS as equivalent
to a US birth certificate, but you should probably also supply them with your
Canadian birth certificate.

A word of advice -- keep your Consular Report in a very safe place (my daughter's is
in our safety deposit box). They can be replaced, but the process is very long &
bureaucratic (or so I was told by the US Consul).

Chris

--
CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD Durham, NC [email protected]

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." ~ Henry
Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

Old Mar 5th 2002, 5:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I vouch for the very long, expensive and difficult to replace. I had to do just that many years ago through the DOS in Washington, DC for my Consular Report of Birth Aboard. You will NOT have a certificate of citizenship. You are a born citizen, not a naturalized one. My CRBA states that I am a US Citizen.

Yes I needed to show this in order to get my passport and to register to vote. That was in the days before instant voting registration on motor vehicle license applications.

Your passport should be sufficient. Is this what you used for the Bio form when you petitioned for your wife's adjustment of status?

INS does NOT have to know about your dual citizenship. It is not an issue.

Rita
Old Mar 6th 2002, 6:35 am
Richard Kautz

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I vouch for the very long, expensive and difficult to replace. I had to do just
    > that many years ago through the DOS in Washington, DC for my Consular Report of
    > Birth Aboard. You will NOT have a certificate of citizenship. You are a born
    > citizen, not a naturalized one. My CRBA states that I am a US Citizen.
    >
    > Yes I needed to show this in order to get my passport and to register to vote. That
    > was in the days before instant voting registration on motor vehicle license
    > applications.
    >
    > Your passport should be sufficient. Is this what you used for the Bio form when you
    > petitioned for your wife's adjustment of status?

So far, I've been able to use my passport for everything. I asserted my US
citizenship as an adult, so I can't get a CRBA. I did some poking around the INS
website, and I could get a certificate of citizenship (the certificate of
naturalization is the one I wouldn't get).

When I contacted the US Consulate about my citizenship status, they told me to just
apply for a passport and not bother with a C of C. I can keep an expired passport as
a backup in a safe place just in case.

> INS does NOT have to know about your dual citizenship. It is not an issue.