Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Appn-part 10. 3&4 points question

Wikiposts

N-400 Appn-part 10. 3&4 points question

Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

sonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud of
Default N-400 Appn-part 10. 3&4 points question

I am filling out the N-400 Appn (I'm excited!)

In Part 10, for point 3 it says "Since becoming a lawful permanent resident, have you ever failed to file a required Federal, State or local tax return?" I am not sure how to respond to this reason being my wife (USC) and I were late in filing 2007 and 2008 taxes. (we're on installment agmnt with IRS and are paying on it now).

Secondly, in part 4, it says "Do you owe any Federal, State or local taxes that are overdue?" I am not sure if I'm to respond Yes or No.

I am applying for Citizenship based on 5yrs GC.

I would be grateful if any one can shed light on this. If you need more info from me before you can respond, just let me know.

Sonny

Last edited by sonnyboyusa; Jan 7th 2010 at 10:02 am.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Appn-part 10. 3&4 points question

Originally Posted by sonnyboyusa
In Part 10, for point 3 it says "Since becoming a lawful permanent resident, have you ever failed to file a required Federal, State or local tax return?" I am not sure how to respond to this reason being my wife (USC) and I were late in filing 2007 and 2008 taxes. (we're on installment agmnt with IRS and are paying on it now).
In my layman's opinion, this would be "no". You've never failed to file a return. You might have been late filing, but you've filed now and are making payments.

Secondly, in part 4, it says "Do you owe any Federal, State or local taxes that are overdue?" I am not sure if I'm to respond Yes or No.
Again, my layman's opinion is "no". You've made acceptable arrangements with IRS and are making payments. As long as those payments are made on time, I'd say nothing is overdue.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

sonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud of

Wow, Noorah. Thanks for the quickest reply ever.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a reminder, if you are applying for citizenship based on your marriage to a USC, you only have to go back 3 years, not 5.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Oh, OK. I'm applying based on 5yrs PR. Thanks Rene (Sorry I was addressing you as Noorah!)
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:36 am

Oh, OK. I'm applying based on 5yrs PR. Thanks Rene (Sorry I was addressing you as Noorah!)
That's OK, Rene or Noorah...I answer to both!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:36 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Noorah. Take the questions at their simplest face value. You did file and you are not overdue with the agreed payment terms.

Somewhere when I did my citizenship I think that was a need if you are in the situation you are in to take a copy of your payment record to the interview so you can show that you are complying with the arrangements you have made to pay. Sorry it is a bit vague but it didn't effect me so I skimmed over it, but a heads up for you to be prepared if asked.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Cool. Thanks, Iansbury. I do have the instalmnet agreement in writing with IRS, as you said, I will see if I can get some sort of a record in writing that shows we are keeping up with payment arrangement in case the officer wants to see it.

Sonny