British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   My N-400 Progress (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/my-n-400-progress-922184/)

scottyvisa Mar 15th 2019 3:10 pm

Re: My N-400 Progress

Went to my local field office for bio-metrics today, it was super quiet so only took a few minutes. When I was finished they handed me a small study guide for the civics test, and they guy told me I should have my interview scheduled within the next 8 weeks, I'm hoping that's true!

scottyvisa May 13th 2019 11:29 pm

True to their word, 8ish weeks later and I've received my interview invite, which is for mid-June. Time to brush up on my civics! My I-751 stays stubbornly under review, so hoping that doesn't cause any issues.

Any advice for the day, in particular if you're still undergoing removal of conditions too? The letter tells me to bring certain original documents, and will bring copies of everything too.

civilservant May 14th 2019 11:17 am

I have seen cases on Visajourney in the last couple months where the N400 adjudication/interview was suspended pending adjudication of the I751. It used to follow that one forced adjudication of the other, but if the I751 doesn't have any movement prior to the interview, be prepared for them to say they cannot make a decision yet.

YMMV

Noorah101 May 14th 2019 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12683520)
I have seen cases on Visajourney in the last couple months where the N400 adjudication/interview was suspended pending adjudication of the I751. It used to follow that one forced adjudication of the other, but if the I751 doesn't have any movement prior to the interview, be prepared for them to say they cannot make a decision yet.

YMMV

I've seen this happen to a friend of mine here in Phoenix recently.

Rene

scottyvisa May 14th 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12683520)

YMMV

That's not good! My I751 is at 16 months, so really hoping that is completed soon anyway.

scottyvisa Jun 5th 2019 7:06 pm

Do you think it's worth my wife taking the day off and accompanying me if she's able to? Not sure if they would ask her questions as part of the I-751 consideration, if it comes up?

Noorah101 Jun 5th 2019 8:13 pm

If the interview is for adjudication of the I-751, then yes, she needs to be there as that was a joint application.

Rene

scottyvisa Jun 6th 2019 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12693790)
If the interview is for adjudication of the I-751, then yes, she needs to be there as that was a joint application.

Rene

Interview is for N-400, but, as my I-751 is still pending, I'm hoping they'll review and approve that on the spot first.

civilservant Jun 6th 2019 4:34 pm

Unlikely. I have seen more cases like the ones I described in post #18 on VJ over the last month.

It seems the process may have silently changed.

YMMV

Noorah101 Jun 6th 2019 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12694254)
Unlikely. I have seen more cases like the ones I described in post #18 on VJ over the last month.

It seems the process may have silently changed.

YMMV

I've seen that lately, too. It happened to a friend here in Phoenix.

Rene

MaddiGibbs Jun 10th 2019 3:24 am

Originally Posted by scottyvisa (Post 12638977)
For context I arrived in the US in December 2015 on a K1. I filed AOS in January 2016 and received conditional permanent residency in April 2016. In January 2018 I filed I-751 to remove conditions, and this is still pending.

As USCIS allow you to file and pay for the N-400 online I decided to go that route. It was really easy putting it all together online as it takes you through the forms step by step and you can save your progress and come back to it at anytime, and before you start it asks some questions to make sure you are eligible to apply. It also has separate areas to upload each time of evidence required. Since it was online I don't have a checklist as such of what was included, but it asks for certain proof one by one (Spouses citizenship if using that as basis for application, applicants green card, tax returns etc), then for any explanations and supporting evidence for deviations (extended time outside of the country etc) and evidence of joint life together (again if applying based on marriage to citizen).

Once everything is complete it walks you through reviewing every answer, and then asks for the $725 payment. I received a confirmation email once I submitted it., including a payment receipt and what happens next (Bio-metric appointments). I was also provided an estimated case completion time of January 2020.

All in all it was an easy process to file and I'd recommend doing it online if you're able to do so. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress. I'm excited to become a citizen!

Wait, your i751 has been pending since Jan 2018...?! Wow!

​​​​​​Good luck on your citizenship path! I'm still 50/50 on whether or not to file :)

Rete Jun 10th 2019 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by MaddiGibbs (Post 12695871)
Wait, your i751 has been pending since Jan 2018...?! Wow!

Not unusual. Ours was pending over 18 months back in early part of 2000 and only filing of the N-400 and pending interview date prompted it to be adjudicated before the interview. But times have changed and that no longer seems to be the case these days. More the pity for the N-400 filer awaiting adjudication of the I-751.

One needs to remember that the I-751 is the most non-important USCIS filing there is. Your status as a CPR remains the same so there is no urgency to adjudicate the application.

​​​​​​

Good luck on your citizenship path! I'm still 50/50 on whether or not to file :)
Your choice.

MaddiGibbs Jun 10th 2019 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12696129)
Not unusual. Ours was pending over 18 months back in early part of 2000 and only filing of the N-400 and pending interview date prompted it to be adjudicated before the interview. But times have changed and that no longer seems to be the case these days. More the pity for the N-400 filer awaiting adjudication of the I-751.

One needs to remember that the I-751 is the most non-important USCIS filing there is. Your status as a CPR remains the same so there is no urgency to adjudicate the application.

​​​​​​

Your choice.

yes, thank you.

scottyvisa Jun 11th 2019 3:02 pm

Remaining optimistic, but will be sure to update everyone. USCIS still have 7 days to approve my I-751 before my interview, so you never know!

scottyvisa Jun 18th 2019 5:12 pm

I had my Citizenship Interview today, did the test, answered all the questions, supplied updated documents, all went well until the end, when as some of you predicted I was told they couldn't yet make a decision as my I-751 was still pending. They wouldn't answer any questions about when my I-751 might be dealt with, but told me as soon as it does they can proceed and make a decision.

Hard not to be frustrated by the whole thing, since I filled the I-751 in Jan 2018, and they charge you enough for the process. Time to contact my Congressman to see if there is anything he can do to help speed it up.

Forgive the rant.