Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

My N-400 Application was approved

My N-400 Application was approved

Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My N-400 Application was approved

Originally Posted by naeem11
so your saying that they will run another background check before my ceremony or after my ceremony to make sure I am still elgible? Is this correct?
Thanks,
You have to swear a statement answering those questions. If you lie, the consequences are more severe than any inconvenience they bring up. You have a chance to come clean--why don't you call a professional and get a confirmation instead of pfaffing around with it?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:56 am
Just Joined

naeem11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would call a professional but these lawyers just want their fees and most of the times dont seem to know shit...but thanks for your input it is much appreciated.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I would call a professional but these lawyers just want their fees and most of the times dont seem to know shit...but thanks for your input it is much appreciated.
I don't see why you're so hesitant to tell them...they're not going to deport you or anything. Worst case is, they will make you wait another few years to become a USC. Nothing else about your life will change.

Rene
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

bantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura about

congrats!!!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't see why you're so hesitant to tell them...they're not going to deport you or anything. Worst case is, they will make you wait another few years to become a USC. Nothing else about your life will change.

Rene
Yea the thing is that I will be working for the Federal Government, but in order for me to start my employment I need to provide them with proof of citizenship I have already cleared their background check that the reason why I am so hesitant.
Thanks,
NS

Last edited by naeem11; Oct 25th 2007 at 2:50 am.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea the thing is that I will be working for the Federal Government, but in order for me to start my employment I need to provide them with proof of citizenship I have already cleared their background check that the reason why I am so hesitant.
Thanks,
NS
Don't forget to read your other thread on this topic, it has a very enlightening answer in it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489187

Rene
Old Oct 25th 2007, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Don't forget to read your other thread on this topic, it has a very enlightening answer in it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489187

Rene
Hi:

Not all that enlightening IMHO.

Not only is he playing with fire, he is also juggling balls. I certainly hope his CRIMINAL defense lawyer for the DUI knows his concerns and is savvy on immigration law. The plea bargaining can be quite different when immigration or naturalization is factored in. He may lay out his life here, but I wonder if he has laid it out with his lawyer.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yea the thing is that I will be working for the Federal Government,
What if they fire you when it all comes out?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:56 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

how can you be so sure that they will find out? They will only find out if the information was sent to the FBI by the local law enforment agency that arrested me...they only way they would find out is if they run my prints again right?
Thanks
You are totally missing the point.

The point is not whether they'll find out. The point is that you led the interviewing officer to believe one thing when the opposite was true, and you need to correct that while you still have the chance.

Imagine for a moment that instead of being arrested for DUI, you and your wife separated and were considering divorce. Since you're basing your naturalization application on your marriage to a US citizen, one of the requirements is that you must be living with your spouse at the time of your interview. However, right before your interview you moved out of the house and were living on your own at the time of the interview.

Now, imagine that at the interview you led the interviewing office to believe that you were still living with your wife. He didn't specifically ask you if you were still living together, so you didn't out-right lie to him -- but you knew you were supposed to disclose this information and chose not to. Not knowing all the facts, the interviewing office tentatively approved you. Sometime between your interview and your oath ceremony, you and your wife reconcile and you move back in. When the oath ceremony comes around, you are asked if you are still living with your wife, and you say "Yes, I am" -- but again you choose not to disclose the truth about your previous separation.

If this is what had happened instead of your DUI, I have a feeling that you think it would be perfectly OK to do what I just described above -- that is, keep the information to yourself. But the fact is that you would be LYING when you've taken an oath to tell the truth. So you SHOULD be honest and tell the truth -- that you were in fact separated from your wife at the time of your interview.

Now, consider this -- separating from and then reconciling with your wife is no where nearly as serious as a criminal offense like DUI. More importantly, there is a record of your arrest, it is documented, and all it takes is a little bit of digging to find it. Knowing this, do you REALLY think it's worth it to be dishonest and just "hope for the best"??

You messed up when you weren't honest at your interview. You have an opportunity to set things right. Contact a qualified attorney and get it sorted. Or, if you don't want to spend money on an attorney, bag the idea of becoming a USC and skip your oath ceremony. Just because you're called to one doesn't mean you have to go. Just keep your green card and go about your merry way.

I hope you make the right decision.

~ Jenney
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
You are totally missing the point.

The point is not whether they'll find out. The point is that you led the interviewing officer to believe one thing when the opposite was true, and you need to correct that while you still have the chance.

Imagine for a moment that instead of being arrested for DUI, you and your wife separated and were considering divorce. Since you're basing your naturalization application on your marriage to a US citizen, one of the requirements is that you must be living with your spouse at the time of your interview. However, right before your interview you moved out of the house and were living on your own at the time of the interview.

Now, imagine that at the interview you led the interviewing office to believe that you were still living with your wife. He didn't specifically ask you if you were still living together, so you didn't out-right lie to him -- but you knew you were supposed to disclose this information and chose not to. Not knowing all the facts, the interviewing office tentatively approved you. Sometime between your interview and your oath ceremony, you and your wife reconcile and you move back in. When the oath ceremony comes around, you are asked if you are still living with your wife, and you say "Yes, I am" -- but again you choose not to disclose the truth about your previous separation.

If this is what had happened instead of your DUI, I have a feeling that you think it would be perfectly OK to do what I just described above -- that is, keep the information to yourself. But the fact is that you would be LYING when you've taken an oath to tell the truth. So you SHOULD be honest and tell the truth -- that you were in fact separated from your wife at the time of your interview.

Now, consider this -- separating from and then reconciling with your wife is no where nearly as serious as a criminal offense like DUI. More importantly, there is a record of your arrest, it is documented, and all it takes is a little bit of digging to find it. Knowing this, do you REALLY think it's worth it to be dishonest and just "hope for the best"??

You messed up when you weren't honest at your interview. You have an opportunity to set things right. Contact a qualified attorney and get it sorted. Or, if you don't want to spend money on an attorney, bag the idea of becoming a USC and skip your oath ceremony. Just because you're called to one doesn't mean you have to go. Just keep your green card and go about your merry way.

I hope you make the right decision.

~ Jenney
Jenney I thank you for your advice and will contact a high power attorney, I can’t believe this has turn into such a huge mess I didnt realize how serious this was, you guys are great thanks for all the wonderful tips and advice.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
What if they fire you when it all comes out?
There are lots of "what if's" in life, so I don't give it much weigh.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Fine! So what are you worried about? Let the DUI attorney do his stuff, lie your way through the naturalization ceremony, and don't worry about it. If it comes up, Folinsky et al. will be taking a small fortune off you if you decide you want to fight it and stay. If not, you're quids in.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
NS
Would you really want to live with the chance of losing your job and possibly being deported hanging over your head, for the rest of your life?

From newcitizen.us -- Losing US Citizenship:

"5. Lying To The USCIS During The Naturalization Process

If you deliberately withheld information from or misrepresented information given to the USCIS or INS when filing your N-400, the USCIS may cancel your Certificate of Naturalization and revoke your US citizenship. This includes withholding information and misrepresenting yourself during your naturalization interview or oath ceremony. If your Certificate of Naturalization is cancelled and your US citizenship revoked, you may also find yourself facing criminal prosecution as well as deportation proceedings.

For example, if you lived outside the country for four months and deliberately omitted this absence from your N-400 and the USCIS finds out about it after you’re naturalized, they could move to have your Certificate of Naturalization cancelled. All they would need to show is that your absence would have disqualifed you from or materially affected your naturalization due to the “physical presence in the United States” requirement for naturalization applicants.

You may also lose your US citizenship if you withheld information or misled the USCIS or INS when becoming a permanent resident. If within five years of becoming a permanent resident, the USCIS finds out that you withheld information from them or misled them in order to obtain your green card, the USCIS may also strip you of your US citizenship. Of course, after five years from becoming a permanent resident, the only way the USCIS would be able to take away your US citizenship would be if you withheld or misrepresented yourself during the naturalization process."
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:33 pm
Boxer's are the Best

iniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really niceiniaki is just really nice

Don't know if this will help, but my dad has been in the U.S. for 27 years. In 2000 he decided to apply for his naturalization. He has never had a legal issue, all good there. He went to the interview, all good there. He was scheduled for the Oath Ceremony....
Well, in between the interview and the Oath, he got a DUI. He didn't have to wait to get to the oath ceremony and make the decision on whether or not to tell the immigration officer, INS already knew about it. Don't ask me how, probably ran another background check, don't know. Point is, prior to his scheduled oath ceremony, he received a letter stating that Oath ceremony was cancelled and he will not be able to naturalize due to the whole moral character thing of the DUI. He appealed with letters etc. He was told that he would be able to naturalize in another 5 years after showing good moral character, no other legal issues, etc.

So, he waited, and applied a couple of months ago. Now, he is waiting for his interview.

So, not sure what will happen to you but don't assume that they will not find out cause they did with my dad, even after the interview was approved and he was waiting to take the oath.

Good luck.

Last edited by iniaki; Oct 26th 2007 at 4:36 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

alcoa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iniaki
Don't know if this will help, but my dad has been in the U.S. for 27 years. In 2000 he decided to apply for his naturalization. He has never had a legal issue, all good there. He went to the interview, all good there. He was scheduled for the Oath Ceremony....
Well, in between the interview and the Oath, he got a DUI. He didn't have to wait to get to the oath ceremony and make the decision on whether or not to tell the immigration officer, INS already knew about it. Don't ask me how, probably ran another background check, don't know. Point is, prior to his scheduled oath ceremony, he received a letter stating that Oath ceremony was cancelled and he will not be able to naturalize due to the whole moral character thing of the DUI. He appealed with letters etc. He was told that he would be able to naturalize in another 5 years after showing good moral character, no other legal issues, etc.

So, he waited, and applied a couple of months ago. Now, he is waiting for his interview.

So, not sure what will happen to you but don't assume that they will not find out cause they did with my dad, even after the interview was approved and he was waiting to take the oath.

Good luck.
So the fact that he was clean for 27 years did not really help him much...?! (It's hard to find someone who can stay out of legal trouble for THAT long, isn't it).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.