Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

My Medical & K1 Visa Interview

Wikiposts

My Medical & K1 Visa Interview

Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all
Default My Medical & K1 Visa Interview

Hi,

I have posted from time to time and just thought I'd briefly pass on my experience of both the medical and K1 visa interview in London. Just a short recap, I live in London (UKC) with my USC fiancee who is here on a work visa:

Medical - this was pretty straightforward except for my own doctors being a bit incompetent and not being able to get me proof of my vaccinations! So I went to the medical without them and was told as a 29 y/o male I needed to have had two MMR vacs in my lifetime (and they needed dates of both) and tetanus within the last 10 years. I had the rest of my medical - chat about medical history, xray, blood test, blood pressure, weight, sight etc and including a check down my trousers to make sure everything was in order and thankfully it was! The doctor was nice and chatty throughout. They let me go back to my own doctors to get the vaccinations done providing I did so within three days (I hadn't had tetanus and my records were incomplete so they gave me MMR just in case). These were both free at my doctors. The practice nurse at my doctors then stamped and signed a letter which I faxed to the Knightsbridge Doctors who then confirmed everything was ok.

Interview - I won't go through too many of the details such as layout etc as plenty of others have. My interview time was 8am on 14th Jan. We arrived at 7.40am and were in the Embassy within 15/20 minutes. I had to wait around an hour to see the first (British) guy who collected all my paperwork (police & birth certificates, I-134 etc), then another 45 minutes to see the consular officer (American).

He first went through the I-134 and backup evidence and asked who our joint sponsor was (as both mine and my fiancee's incomes won't continue when we return to the US). My fiancee was with me and he was nice and polite but said to her "Ma'am I'm going to direct all questions to your fiance so please do not answer anything unless I directly ask you." He asked me:

- If I've ever lived in any other countries in my life;
- How we met;
- How long my fiancee has been in the UK;
- What do I do and what do I intend to do in the US;
- Where I proposed;
- When I was last in the US, where and how long for. We then had a little chat about San Diego and how he likes it.

He then asked my fiancee if I did 'ok' on the proposal! He also asked her why we were choosing the US over UK and then finally if she has been filing her US tax returns whilst here and said he needed to see her 2007 return, which we had with us. After that it was congratulations you're approved, you'll have six months to enter the US and 90 days to marry. No problems whatsoever and all a bit of an anticlimax really!

So thanks to everyone who has helped with my previous posts! And USA here we come at the end of April!

Paul
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Medical & K1 Visa Interview

Originally Posted by paul_79
After that it was congratulations you're approved, you'll have six months to enter the US and 90 days to marry.
Congratulations!

No problems whatsoever and all a bit of an anticlimax really!
Many people post that it's all a bit anticlimactic... yet no one believes it until it actually happens to them!

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:17 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, well done.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:47 am
Just Joined

Trekguy is on a distinguished road

congratulations
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:42 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:37 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and good luck to you and your fiance for the move in April