Reload this Page >

My K-1 Visa journey questions

My K-1 Visa journey questions

Old Apr 10th 2016, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Cutetiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My K-1 Visa journey questions

Hi Guys and Girls!

Me (UKC) and my fiancé (USC) have decided to wait a few months before starting our visa process. (around Sep/ Oct 2016) Mainly because of money, wanting to spend my dad's 60th with him (Oct 2017)and both wanting an outside wedding, but with it being Minnesota, we're restricted to Spring/ Summer months. I'm sure our wedding guests wouldn't appreciate being outside in -20C and snow for a wedding

So basically we're gonna start in this year Oct/Sep time and aim it for me to leave the UK March/April 2018. That timeline seems about right doesn't it?

With regards to the wedding, we just want a few ideas for one, so we can save up accordingly. Can anyone suggest any beautiful places for an outside wedding and a rough cost to it? We're only having no more than 35 people and we're hoping for the Minnetonka - Minneapolis area (Hennepin County) don't worry we aren't setting dates, we just want some ideas under our belt

Also can anyone suggest any good companies for international removals? The closest port to me is Liverpool UK and in Minnesota; Duluth. I assume shipping my belongings in a small container is the cheapest way?

One last question ( until I think of another one) can I still visit the USA while the visa process is happening? Just because I have a wedding to go to in California October 2016 and would love to still visit my fiancé.

Many thanks for the help everyone. I hugely appreciate it. I'm over the moon to find an honest welcoming forum that can help me out with my many worries

Any other advice you can give me on this scary but exciting journey, I would be thankful!

Thanks again!
Old Apr 10th 2016, 7:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: My K-1 Visa journey questions

Hi and welcome to BE. I encourage you to ask the shipping questions over in our general USA forum.

Doesn't your USC fiance live in the Minneapolis area and know if some places she'd like to have an outdoor wedding?

Yes, you can visit the USA while the K-1 visa is in process.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 10th 2016 at 7:57 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 7:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Might have been a typo, but if you file the I-129F in Sept/Oct 2016, you will probably get the K-1 visa around May - August 2017. Way before 2018!

The visa should be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical exam.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2016, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cutetiger
So basically we're gonna start in this year Oct/Sep time and aim it for me to leave the UK March/April 2018. That timeline seems about right doesn't it?
No, it doesn't. If you don't want to leave the UK until March or April 2018, don't start the process until July or August 2017... which is well over a year from now.

Can anyone suggest any beautiful places for an outside wedding and a rough cost to it?
This is not an immigration-related question and should be asked in the general USA forum.

Also can anyone suggest any good companies for international removals?
Again, this is not an immigration-related question and should be asked in the general USA forum.

... can I still visit the USA while the visa process is happening?
Yes.

Ian
Old Apr 10th 2016, 8:23 pm

Default Re: My K-1 Visa journey questions

Cutetiger,

FYI you were asking these same timeline questions back in August 2015, it was all covered in that thread.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2016, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: My Visa journey

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No, it doesn't. If you don't want to leave the UK until March or April 2018, don't start the process until July or August 2017... which is well over a year from now.

Ian
I thought it was 8-10months then 6 months on top? So you have the medical about 4-5 months in from the start of the whole process?

I know I'm asking the same questions, as you can tell I'm still trying to get my head around it. It's stressful.

Maybe we should start it sooner rather than later? And then just invite my dad over for his 60th? But realistically, if I do it soon. Then I should have access granted to fly over then for his birthday.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Might have been a typo, but if you file the I-129F in Sept/Oct 2016, you will probably get the K-1 visa around May - August 2017. Way before 2018!

The visa should be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical exam.

Rene
I'm sorry for asking the same questions Rene. As you can tell even being told several times I'm still getting confused. It's just hard to try and make it work around my dad's 60th.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 9:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is 8-10 months. Here is the process in a nutshell. Wikis are great.

K1 : British Expat Wiki

As for where to have your wedding, the immigration forum is not the place to ask that, cutie, but you can post that question in the US forum. Perhaps there might be someone from Minnesota there.

Doesn't your USC fiancée have any ideas and where he might want the wedding to be? Perhaps his mom has some ideas. A great way for you to get into her good graces ;-)

Last edited by Rete; Apr 10th 2016 at 9:44 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Visa journey

I thought it was 8-10months then 6 months on top? So you have the medical about 4-5 months in from the start of the whole process?
Read the Wiki link that Rete provided. The entire process takes 8-10 months from the time the I-129F petition is filed by your USC fiancé until you get the visa in your passport. Once you have the visa, you have roughly 5 months to use it (because the medical takes place about a month before you get the visa). Also, once you enter the US with your visa, you have 90 days in which to get married. So... work backwards from the rough date you want to get married... and that'll dictate when your fiancé start the process on your behalf.

This timeline has been fairly steady for a while, but it is not written in stone... so build some leeway into your timeline. If you don't want to drive yourself crazy, keep all of your plans flexible - including the date of your marriage.

Ian
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I have a wedding to go to in California October 2016 and would love to still visit my fiancé. ......

Any other advice you can give me on this scary but exciting journey, ....
Why not take a quick trip to the courthouse when you're visiting your fiancé, get married, then have the big fancy wedding for family and friends at your convenience later? Then after getting married at the courthouse go straight for a CR-1 marriage visa. The process is similar to the process for a K-1 fiancée visa, but there is none of the färting around with adjusting status, nor being sequestered in the US while your advance parole is processed.

And you are free to work from the moment you arrive in the US on your CR-1, and, before you ask, you are still able to visit the US while your CR-1 is being processed.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why not take a quick trip to the courthouse when you're visiting your fiancé, get married, then have the big fancy wedding for family and friends at your convenience later? Then after getting married at the courthouse go straight for a CR-1 marriage visa. The process is similar to the process for a K-1 fiancée visa, but there is none of the färting around with adjusting status, nor being sequestered in the US while your advance parole is processed.

And you are free to work from the moment you arrive in the US on your CR-1, and, before you ask, you are still able to visit the US while your CR-1 is being processed.
Yep, that option was given to her on her previous thread, too.

Rene