Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

My journey begins here......

Wikiposts

My journey begins here......

Old Jul 31st 2011, 11:25 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My journey begins here......

Interesting - sounds like the secular bureaucracy has a policy to accommodate the policies of the religious bureaucracies! Thanks for the anecdote.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
This all happened in NYC some years ago so memory may be fuzzy. Basically the Rabbi insisted that the second wedding had a license. Checking my scans of both licenses, the second one says "no. of previous marriages - 1" then underneath that her name and "alive" then "Terminated: still married". Same but names reversed for her part of the license. Given there was an option on the form to fill it out in that way and that the clerk had no problem with "still married" on the form, I believe the clerk may even have advised us on how to fill the form. NYC clerks office issued a certificate for each shortly after each ceremony.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Interesting - sounds like the secular bureaucracy has a policy to accommodate the policies of the religious bureaucracies! Thanks for the anecdote.

Regards, JEff
As a little side anecdote to the anecdote. Our rabbi was on some sort of community interfaith committee thing and was recounting how some of the very orthodox Jewish communities often get into trouble. They feel they don't need NYC clerks to issue licenses for their wedding ceremonies at all, they are above all that paperwork nonsense.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

jamieamis is an unknown quantity at this point

Moxie,

Thank you for your input, its has firmed up the suggestion that the wife to be came up with. It just a shame that these things cannot be predicted in terms of knowing when you will get your authorisation for travel and working etc as we really wanted to go to UK after USA wedding so that we could celebrate with my friends and family who could not make it to the USA and then onto a mediteranian cruise for the honey moon. But I think we have decided that Hawaii will be the destination of our honey moon now (blessing in disguise).
Old Jul 31st 2011, 10:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamieamis
Moxie,

Thank you for your input, its has firmed up the suggestion that the wife to be came up with. It just a shame that these things cannot be predicted in terms of knowing when you will get your authorisation for travel and working etc as we really wanted to go to UK after USA wedding so that we could celebrate with my friends and family who could not make it to the USA and then onto a mediteranian cruise for the honey moon. But I think we have decided that Hawaii will be the destination of our honey moon now (blessing in disguise).
It's not that unpredictable. I'd say if you give it 90 days from the date you apply for AOS, that's a pretty reliable time frame.

Rene
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's not that unpredictable. I'd say if you give it 90 days from the date you apply for AOS, that's a pretty reliable time frame.

Rene
so Norah, would you say that I would be safe in booking a reception in the UK 90 or so days from once I hope to get my application in to USA for AOS, AP and AED?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

would you say that I would be safe in booking a reception in the UK 90 or so days from once I hope to get my application in to USA for AOS, AP and AED?
That might be cutting it a bit fine. No matter how reliable the 90 day time frame is, it would be awful if there was some delay in processing your AP application and you had spent lots of money on a UK reception.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
That might be cutting it a bit fine. No matter how reliable the 90 day time frame is, it would be awful if there was some delay in processing your AP application and you had spent lots of money on a UK reception.
another fair point, I think that the safe bet is to just organise something once the whole package manages to come through
Old Nov 24th 2011, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

well....its been a while since I have been on the website (and other useful sites) but I have been very busy with work......and organising a wedding etc!!!

if anyone is interested I have now put in my career break application with my place of work and I have also finished my part of the K1-visa application. Sending it back to the USA with my fiance when she left a few days ago after her latest visit.

I have been to the USA twice since my last post and my fiance has been to the UK twice. So we have still been able to spend a good amount of time together, along with skyping and other communication methods.

Now its just the waiting for each of these applications to be processed and seeing where it all goes from there (fingers crossed.....TWICE!!!).

In the meantime its just wedding preparations and working out what I plan to do once I, hopefully, get over to the USA and get an adjustment of status process allowing me to work etc.

Hope everyone is well......if you have any advice....please let me know
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:11 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

You mentioned insurance in one of your posts. Looking into health insurance is a good idea. Can you be added to your fiancee's insurance once she is your wife? Maybe look into how soon that can happen and if you have any pre-existing conditions (you young whipper-snappers don't usually have that fortunately, which makes for more choices), will they accept your having been covered by the NHS as continuous coverage?
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:06 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The K1 visa application consists of DS-156, DS-156k, and DS-157, along with other supplementary forms and documents.

Are you by any chance meaning the I-129f petition, which is not a visa application?

Regards, JEff

if anyone is interested I have now put in my career break application with my place of work and I have also finished my part of the K1-visa application. Sending it back to the USA with my fiance when she left a few days ago after her latest visit.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Firstly, Squirrel as far as I am aware NHS counts as continuous coverage but I will get my future wife to check with her current insurance company what is required for me to be added to her insurance when I arrive.

Jeff, I am a little confused.....what do you mean about visa/petition? From the research I have completed thus far the Fiance Visa/K1 to apply the USC has to put in the i-129f???
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:50 am

Correct that the first step towards a K1 visa is the US fiance(e) submitting an I-129f petition to USCIS. But that petition is not the visa application.

It's a two-step process, in which the petition qualifies the beneficiary - the alien fiance(e) - to submit a visa application. In the second step, the alien fiance(e) submits the visa application to the appropriate US consulate after the petition has been approved.

Regards, JEff

Jeff, I am a little confused.....what do you mean about visa/petition? From the research I have completed thus far the Fiance Visa/K1 to apply the USC has to put in the i-129f???
Old Nov 28th 2011, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

So once I get contacted by the consulate I will then have to fill out those forms? do I then send them off and await an interview date or do I bring them to an interview?

Also where do I find these forms as I did not find them anywhere on USCIS website? And is there an extra cost.

Thanks for pointing this out to me
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:03 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So once I get contacted by the consulate I will then have to fill out those forms?
Yes, if you want the visa.

do I then send them off and await an interview date or do I bring them to an interview?
I know it seems obvious, but you can't get an interview if you haven't applied for the visa.

Also where do I find these forms as I did not find them anywhere on USCIS website?
Try looking on the London Consulate page, rather than USCIS.

And is there an extra cost.
Yup.

Ian
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:36 am

Of course not - they are not USCIS forms. As I wrote, the visa application is made to a US consulate.

Check the web site of the appropriate consulate to find visa application forms and the application procedures specific to that consulate.

Regards, JEff

Also where do I find these forms as I did not find them anywhere on USCIS website?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.