Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

My husband is in RUSSIA and I am in the states.... WHY?

Wikiposts

My husband is in RUSSIA and I am in the states.... WHY?

Old Aug 15th 2001, 1:42 pm
Shaunegregory3

So my husband is Russian and I am American.

We got married in St Petersburg in June after being in a 2 year living in
relationship in St Petersburg. He has never been to the states. After running into
huge money problems in St Petersburg, I left. I was afraid to run into more problems
and find yet again the lack of stability in Russia (it is real easy there). I had to
leave my love behind though. Alyosha, my husband couldn't come with me. I don't want
to return to Russia but I will if it means being by my husband. I can't be more than
a few months without him. How can I get him here, without me having to return to
RUSSIA and wait?

The American consulate informed us that the only way for Alyosha to come to the USA,
after getting married to me was to receive an immigration visa, but the crazy part
about this visa is the wait (45 WEEKS!!!!). I called the INS office, where they
informed me that there is a new visa passed by the legislature- the K visa (isn't
this the finance visa?), that allows foreign spouses to move to the states and wait
for the process here. This visa is so new though that it still hasn't been put into
action. PLEASE HELP: More information on this visa or any other hoops to get my
husband to the states would be so helpful… I need my Alyosha…. Thank you. PLEASE
write here at this site or email me ASAP: [email protected] .

Old Aug 15th 2001, 2:14 pm
Wally

Shaune,

Go ahead and file your I-130 petition and get it in the works. I dont know what the
situation was with money problems in Saint Pete but you could probably save up enough
here and spend the rest of the time with your husband in Saint Pete until your
petition is approved. Be advised that you will probably need a co-sponser since you
wont have a full-time job due to living with your husband in Russia. If your husband
owns his own flat, you should be able to get by on 200 dollars (5600 pyb) a month. I
feel for you and wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely, Wally

>
    >
    >
    >
running
    >
into
    >
real
    >
couldn't
    >
being by
    >
him
    >
    >
    >
to the
    >
the
    >
office,
    >
the
    >
to
    >
it
    >
visa
    >
    >
ASAP:
    >

Old Aug 15th 2001, 5:41 pm
Michael Voight

Can't you file the I-130 in Moscow personally. It is called DCF (Direct Consular
Filing) I did it last year and my wife had a visa in 40 days..

Michael

Old Aug 15th 2001, 5:46 pm
Michael Voight

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my last reply.. Can you afford a short trip to Moscow??

If so, then you can file the I-130 and then leave the country. Filing the I-130 with
the INS people at the Moscow Embassy will result in almost immediate approval of the
I-130 and forwarding of the information to the State Department people in the
consular section to schedule the interview. Normally this takes 3 months, although we
had it pushed up to 40 days...

Old Aug 15th 2001, 10:56 pm
Alvena Ferreira

>
    >
come to the
    >
but the
    >

Moscow consulate will accept an I-130 petition directly IF you go there and file it,
and your husband can be in the US in 1-2 months using this method. Find more
information on Doc Steen's site in the "DCF: which visa" section, link below to the
site. Alvena
--
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
---
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Jonathan's K-1 pages:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Information
Pages: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm