Reload this Page >

My fiancee is scheduled for interview - please help

Wikiposts

My fiancee is scheduled for interview - please help

Old Jul 15th 2002, 11:20 pm
Cliff

Default My fiancee is scheduled for interview - please help

Hello people,

My fiancee and I are very desperate to find answers to some questions. My fiancee is
from Former Soviet Union, and she's schdeduled for her K1 intereview in Moscow
consulate in early August. But before I started the I-129F process, by an advice of a
friend, we decided that she'd try to get a tourist visa, and when she enters the US,
AND WHEN WE LIKE EACH OTHER IN PERSON AS WELL, then we'd marry (of course, not
immediately, but after a little while). We both knew that there was a very slight
chance that she'd get the visa, but we decided to give a try and we failed.

On her consulate papers (the consulate is not in Moscow, it's in one of the FSU
former republics), she put my address as her destination, and she also put she's
coming to visit her childhood friend (she had a friend somewhere in Southern
California, but I live in Northern California). And during the interview she didn't
mention that she has a me as a friend, but at the time of her interview, we haven't
seen each other yet, and we were not engaged yet, so technically I wasn't her fiance
yet at that time. She beleives that the interview hasn't been recorded. It actually
took less than few minutes, and the itnerviewer didn't even take any notes, she was
asked few quick questions and was told that she is denied a tourist visa to the US.
They also put a stamp on her passport. Afterwords, I went to FSU to meet her and her
family, and we got engaged.

Now, my questions are: what she has to put on her forms that ask about her visits or
attempts to enter the US. If during the interview she's asked about her attempt to
obtain a tourist visa, or tourist visa application, or tourist visa interview, what
she has to say. We both want to avoid lying or misrepresenting the facts, or any sort
of fraud, since our intentions were noble and we love each other very much and can't
even imagine that she might be a subject of denial. Now, in retrospect, I think we've
done a stupid thing trying to obtain a tourist visa, so that we've found ourselves in
this crazy thought process we cannot find a way out. Are the K1 visa interviews
really tough, and would they go into such a long way into details to find
inconsinstencies in her replies. Please help us, please!

Any help will be greatly apreciated.

Thank you all in advance, Cliff

Old Jul 16th 2002, 3:22 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My fiancee is scheduled for interview - please help

Originally posted by Cliff
We both want to avoid lying or misrepresenting the facts, or any sort of fraud, since our intentions were noble and we love each other very much and can't even imagine that she might be a subject of denial. Now, in retrospect, I think we've done a stupid thing trying to obtain a tourist visa, so that we've found ourselves in this crazy thought process we cannot find a way out.
Ok, you've written a lot here, but I think I understand the gist of your situation and concerns. Here are my thoughts:

1) It was NOT stupid to try to obtain the tourist visa for her, it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, it didn't work, but things seem to have turned around for you in the end.

2) Why was she denied the tourist visa? Did the consulate give her a reason?

3) While the interview discussion itself might not have been recorded, the results of that interview -- the tourist visa denial -- WERE recorded the second they stamped her passport. (That's my guess, anyway.)

4) You've gotten through the K1 process enough to have an appointment for the interview, so you must be doing *something* right!

5) You know what they say about "the truth shall set you free"? I really believe that. If you're truthful and honest, you will get much, much farther than if you lie. Be honest about her visa denial, because they probably know about it anyway.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 16th 2002, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Inaleda is an unknown quantity at this point

Don`t panic.
Most likely they would not ask her about the previous visa at the interview. I was deniead a tourist visa while dating with now my husband and nobody asked anything about it. The rule is that the US consulates don`t give tourist visas to young , single women from Eastern Europe.
They know that she has applied before bucause they see the stamp in the passport. This stamp is nothing to be scared about. she does not have to lie about anything but never talk about things you are not asked.
She can visite anyone at the States and this is her business. It would be very good if you can go with her to the interview. In general they don`t deny k-1 unless something is quite wrong.
Good luck. Everything will be o.k.
Old Jul 16th 2002, 11:20 am
Cliff

Jenney &amp; Mark <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Cliff wrote:
    > > We both want to avoid lying or misrepresenting the facts, or any sort of fraud,
    > > since our intentions were noble and we love each other very much and can't even
    > > imagine that she might be a subject of denial. Now, in retrospect, I think
    > > we've done a stupid thing trying to obtain a tourist visa, so that we've found
    > > ourselves in this crazy thought process we cannot find a way out.
    >
    >
    >
    > Ok, you've written a lot here, but I think I understand the gist of your situation
    > and concerns. Here are my thoughts:
    >
    > 1) It was NOT stupid to try to obtain the tourist visa for her, it was the right
    > thing to do. Unfortunately, it didn't work, but things seem to have turned
    > around for you in the end.

Thank you,

> 2) Why was she denied the tourist visa? Did the consulate give her a reason?

She was handed a paper, a standard paper they give to everybody in the embassy. And
the reason is that the embassy doesn't beleive that they'll return back from US,
since she's single, young, unmarried, no children etc.

> 3) While the interview discussion itself might not have been recorded, the results
    > of that interview -- the tourist visa denial -- WERE recorded the second they
    > stamped her passport. (That's my guess, anyway.)

Yes, that's true, she's got a stamp on her passport. But on her tourist application
she put that she's visiting her childhood friend, and she put my address. But I'm not
her childhood friend. At the time of her interview we were not engaged, so, I guess I
could be considered as a friend. So, she didn't commit a fraud, since she answered
that she doesn't have fiancee at the time of her interview. Aftwer her interview, 3
months later, I went to FSU and we got officially engaged. Do you know if her verbal
answers were somehow recorded? I'm thinking, that technically, we should be ok, since
she was coming to see her friend. But we are concerned on how she's going to handle
these type questions, since if they pursue it deeper they'll discover an untrue
statement made by her, that I'm not her childhood friend. But she has a friend, a
childhood friend, that lives far from me, I'm in No. CA, and my fiancee's friend is
in So. CA.

>4) You've gotten through the K1 process enough to have an appointment
    > for the interview, so you must be doing *something* right!

Well, I guess so. Her fear is that if Moscow embassy obtains the tourist visa
application, they might question her from there and she might get into trouble, since
she put my address but also jotted down that she's visting her childhood friend.
That's what I'm considering a stupid thing that we did, and she wasn't aware about
this at that time, neither did I, we just followed a friend of ours advice.

> 5) You know what they say about "the truth shall set you free"? I really believe
    > that. If you're truthful and honest, you will get much, much farther than if you
    > lie. Be honest about her visa denial, because they probably know about it
    > anyway.

I totally agree with you. And that's what I told my fiancee. Do not be afraid, just
truthfully tell them that you we were going to see me, BUT BY NO WAY YOU HAD
INTENTIONS TO COME AND MARRY ME AND STAY HERE. etc. The truth is, that if she came
here, and if we liked each other, we'd go ahead and marry.

> ~ Jenney
    >

Thanks for your time and advice. Cliff

Old Jul 17th 2002, 8:20 am
Cliff

Inaleda <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Don`t panic. Most likely they would not ask her about the previous visa at the
    > interview. I was deniead a tourist visa while dating with now my husband and nobody
    > asked anything about it. The rule is that the US consulates don`t give tourist
    > visas to young , single women from Eastern Europe. They know that she has applied
    > before bucause they see the stamp in the passport. This stamp is nothing to be
    > scared about. she does not have to lie about anything but never talk about things
    > you are not asked. She can visite anyone at the States and this is her business. It
    > would be very good if you can go with her to the interview. In general they don`t
    > deny k-1 unless something is quite wrong. Good luck. Everything will be o.k.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Thank you, Inaleda, for your reply... at least something is encouraging. And you made
many good points, I'll pass them to my fiancee.

Do you know if they would have a copy of her tourist visa application that she's
submitted to the US Embassy in Kazaxstan? I think she is nervous because of that,
since she put naccurate information there.

Thank you,, Cliff

Old Jul 17th 2002, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Inaleda is an unknown quantity at this point

I don`t know if they have a copy. I see now what you did, and I would think that one way to answer if they ever ask is that this friend of hers was staying with you at that time( or was attending to do so). Don`t tell them that you consciesly try to lie to them.
Anyway don`t get paranoid . A k-1 visa is a quite different thing than a tourist visa. I know it is expensive and you might not have a possibility to go but again your presence there would be the best garantee.
Old Jul 17th 2002, 1:20 pm
Ranjini

Cliff, The refusal of her tourist visa is not going to affect the outcome of her
fiancee visa. She can be truthful and say that she was coming to visit you as you two
were friends at the time. I don't believe they are going to make an issue of the fact
that she said about the childhood friend. She should be truthful now. What she said
at the time shoudn't be a problem. Don't worry about it. Best wishes, Ranjini

"Cliff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello people,
    >
    > My fiancee and I are very desperate to find answers to some questions. My fiancee
    > is from Former Soviet Union, and she's schdeduled for her K1 intereview in Moscow
    > consulate in early August. But before I started the I-129F process, by an advice of
    > a friend, we decided that she'd try to get a tourist visa, and when she enters the
    > US, AND WHEN WE LIKE EACH OTHER IN PERSON AS WELL, then we'd marry (of course, not
    > immediately, but after a little while). We both knew that there was a very slight
    > chance that she'd get the visa, but we decided to give a try and we failed.
    >
    > On her consulate papers (the consulate is not in Moscow, it's in one of the FSU
    > former republics), she put my address as her destination, and she also put she's
    > coming to visit her childhood friend (she had a friend somewhere in Southern
    > California, but I live in Northern California). And during the interview she didn't
    > mention that she has a me as a friend, but at the time of her interview, we haven't
    > seen each other yet, and we were not engaged yet, so technically I wasn't her
    > fiance yet at that time. She beleives that the interview hasn't been recorded. It
    > actually took less than few minutes, and the itnerviewer didn't even take any
    > notes, she was asked few quick questions and was told that she is denied a tourist
    > visa to the US. They also put a stamp on her passport. Afterwords, I went to FSU to
    > meet her and her family, and we got engaged.
    >
    > Now, my questions are: what she has to put on her forms that ask about her visits
    > or attempts to enter the US. If during the interview she's asked about her attempt
    > to obtain a tourist visa, or tourist visa application, or tourist visa interview,
    > what she has to say. We both want to avoid lying or misrepresenting the facts, or
    > any sort of fraud, since our intentions were noble and we love each other very much
    > and can't even imagine that she might be a subject of denial. Now, in retrospect, I
    > think we've done a stupid thing trying to obtain a tourist visa, so that we've
    > found ourselves in this crazy thought process we cannot find a way out. Are the K1
    > visa interviews really tough, and would they go into such a long way into details
    > to find inconsinstencies in her replies. Please help us, please!
    >
    > Any help will be greatly apreciated.
    >
    > Thank you all in advance, Cliff