Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

.: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

.: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

Old Sep 18th 2013, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: .: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just a slight correction. You won't need to "renew" your green card after two years. You'll need to "remove conditions" during the 90-day window just prior to the expiration of your 2-year card.

Rene
Sorry Rene,

Thanks for picking up on that, you're right. I ramble at times and neglect to be precise Hope you're well

Cheers,
Rich.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

monfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud of

Great to hear it's going well. May I ask how long it took for your green card to arrive? I know they say it can take 6 months, but...

Thanks.

Originally Posted by richbogle84
Hi Hoffage,

My wife and I stayed with her Grandparents in Minnesota when we first arrived in the US. It was not only the 'steady address' that we provided for immigration, but also the intentional destination for our holiday [vacation]. We spent three weeks there kicking back by the lake, and catching up with family from all over the place...good times! After that, we bought a car and road-tripped to Colorado, stopping off to see the sights and camp along the way. Once we get settled into work here in Colorado, we would like to buy a home here rather than rent if possible.

So we've been busy doing all the responsible things here (applying and interviewing for jobs, sorting out my driving licence, sorting out the wife's nursing licence, etc) but also trying to find a healthy balance of having fun. We've been trying to get out and enjoy Colorado every weekend, otherwise we risk getting cabin fever and forgetting how awesome this area actually is yknow? That's why we've been going on some hikes, seeing some sights, etc...there's certainly no shortage of things to do out here!

I received my Green Card in the mail but I will need to renew it after two years. After three years though, I'm eager to go through the citizenship process...then I can leave all the immigration processes, forms, and costs behind!

I think the important thing in moving to America [or potentially any new country] is to accept that things will be different and to embrace the differences. You don't have to love everything that's different about America, but life's a lot better when you choose not to resent the healthcare system for example, or how sales taxes work, or whatever it is. It makes for a much happier life!

As for me and my wife, moving country and starting out somewhere new certainly has it's challenges, but we love it here. I'm not entirely sure if that answers your question, but there it is.

Rich.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monfed
Great to hear it's going well. May I ask how long it took for your green card to arrive? I know they say it can take 6 months, but...

Thanks.
Hi Monfed,

It took about five weeks from the date on which I entered the United States.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Cheers,
Rich.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

$1.62 to the £ now after the interest rate meeting today.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

Thanks.
I entered via Chicago O'Hare and I think mine came after about 3 weeks. It came before the SSN. So I chased that up and went to the local Social Security office and got it a few days later. I have forgotten exactly how long it was now, but I think there was a 20 day guideline for the SSN. I know many people here have suggested that it's best to cut out the middle man and just go straight to the social security office or ring them directly.

The Green Card isn't the end of the world as obviously the stamp on your visa at entry serves as a temporary (Form I-551) authorisation for a year. So as long as you have access to the place you registered as living at, it will be fine. If not, I'd imagine you can log on/ ring and change the address the same as you would have to do if you have the green card. I think you are supposed to let them know within 9 days of a move regardless. You can pay the USPO to forward mail for a year too, although they won't forward credit cards, so may well not forward Green Cards either.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

monfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris197337
I entered via Chicago O'Hare and I think mine came after about 3 weeks. It came before the SSN. So I chased that up and went to the local Social Security office and got it a few days later. I have forgotten exactly how long it was now, but I think there was a 20 day guideline for the SSN. I know many people here have suggested that it's best to cut out the middle man and just go straight to the social security office or ring them directly.

The Green Card isn't the end of the world as obviously the stamp on your visa at entry serves as a temporary (Form I-551) authorisation for a year. So as long as you have access to the place you registered as living at, it will be fine. If not, I'd imagine you can log on/ ring and change the address the same as you would have to do if you have the green card. I think you are supposed to let them know within 9 days of a move regardless. You can pay the USPO to forward mail for a year too, although they won't forward credit cards, so may well not forward Green Cards either.
Thanks, I know, I'm not worried. I actually used my temp I-551 to satisfy I-9 requirements by my employer, it would just be nice to have the actual thing.

As for the SSN, I actually took a chance and went 6 days after entry (having ticked "no" on the DS230- I have a paranoia about this kind of thing), applied for it, and got my number 2 days later.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris197337

Thanks, I know, I'm not worried. I actually used my temp I-551 to satisfy I-9 requirements by my employer, it would just be nice to have the actual thing.

As for the SSN, I actually took a chance and went 6 days after entry (having ticked "no" on the DS230- I have a paranoia about this kind of thing), applied for it, and got my number 2 days later.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I actually used my temp I-551 to satisfy I-9 requirements by my employer, it would just be nice to have the actual thing.
To clarify, the stamp is the "actual thing". The stamp confers all the same rights, responsibilities, privileges, and duties as the plastic card. And, to further clarify... it isn't "temporary". The card, like the stamp, is proof of your status. The card serves as proof for 2 years or 10 years depending on whether or not your status is conditional... the stamp serves as proof for 1 year. Neither the stamp nor the card are the status itself... just proof of that status.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 19th 2013 at 2:30 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Beth Kehpoda is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richbogle84
Hi Beth,

Just coming back to your original question, I provided bank statements at my interview which covered the six months prior to the interview appointment at the US Embassy. I should also highlight, that since my wife and I were leaving our UK jobs behind us as part of the move to America, we used assets alone to meet the financial criteria.

Hope this helps,
Rich.

Hi Rich,
I just want to say thank you so much for this thread you started. This has been so much help to my husband and I when figuring all this out. We've actually had a very quick turnaround luckily. It's amazing how much documenting you kept track of to post so just want to say thank you so much from my husband and I, and probably all the other couples you've helped out with this post.

Thanks,
Beth
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beth Kehpoda
Hi Rich,
I just want to say thank you so much for this thread you started. This has been so much help to my husband and I when figuring all this out. We've actually had a very quick turnaround luckily. It's amazing how much documenting you kept track of to post so just want to say thank you so much from my husband and I, and probably all the other couples you've helped out with this post.

Thanks,
Beth
+1 to this. You have simplified a very awkward process and helped a lot of people out as a result!

Hoffage

Last edited by hoffage123; Sep 20th 2013 at 12:09 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rich,
I just want to say thank you so much for this thread you started. This has been so much help to my husband and I when figuring all this out.
You're very welcome Beth; just hope it's of help to a lot of couples as they navigate the tricky waters of immigration. Hopefully everything goes really well for you and your husband Just let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any way.

Rich.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

lander91 is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have said, this is an incredibly helpful thread that I've been trying to find again for some time - I knew I'd seen it a while back but failed to bookmark it at the time.

We're in a very similar situation, aside from needing a joint sponsor and having been married over two years. The list of forms needed is exactly what I've been trying to find, since I was quite overwhelmed trying to sort out which ones we needed and which we didn't need.

Kristi
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lander91
...this is an incredibly helpful thread that I've been trying to find again for some time - I knew I'd seen it a while back but failed to bookmark it at the time.

...The list of forms needed is exactly what I've been trying to find, since I was quite overwhelmed trying to sort out which ones we needed and which we didn't need.
Thanks Kristi,

Really great to hear that it's been of help; makes it all worthwhile.

All the best with your visa journey, and just let me know if you have any questions

Rich.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Beth Kehpoda is on a distinguished road

Question about supporting documents for affidavit of support:
If my mother is showing stock statements, and she receives her statements online, is it okay to use statements from printed online? Or do we somehow need to get a mailed statement?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows!
Old Oct 7th 2013, 7:06 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

Regards, JEff
... is it okay to use statements from printed online?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.