My darkest hour

Old Apr 25th 2020, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute
Default My darkest hour

My wife has asked for a divorce and I'm heart broken. I've submitted to remove my conditions and am two months away from filing citizenship. Obviously this puts me at huge risk.

Can anyone advise from an immigration stand point?

I'll be moving away. I could use some suggestions on where in the US to move to. Thanks.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 5:13 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My darkest hour

Originally Posted by notaclue
My wife has asked for a divorce and I'm heart broken. I've submitted to remove my conditions and am two months away from filing citizenship. Obviously this puts me at huge risk.

Can anyone advise from an immigration stand point?

I'll be moving away. I could use some suggestions on where in the US to move to. Thanks.
The situation is not as dire as you seem to think. It is permissible to change a pending joint petition to a waiver of joint petition. That said, legal representation is a good idea.

Good luck.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 10:27 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Im sorry notaclue. It's not easy. I went through the same thing.

You can amend the I-751 to a divorce waiver case, but it won't be granted until you have your divorce.

I'm not sure about the N-400, but I assume since you will not be in a continuing marriage you now need to wait until 5 years before applying. I also had too, and got my USC last year after admitting to the US in 2013.

All in all, take time for yourself. Lean on friends and any other support you have nearby. It will be ok.

I'll be moving away. I could use some suggestions on where in the US to move to.
Do you have any work limitations or any ideas?
Old Apr 25th 2020, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

Do you have any work limitations or any ideas?
Not as such. I just lost my job in law enforcement and have no other career behind me. I literally have no one in this entire country now. As my divorce is unlikely to happen in the next several months, would I still be able to apply for citizenship and change the marital status during that process?

Last edited by notaclue; Apr 25th 2020 at 3:26 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 3:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't change your martial status during the citizenship process. Let's assume you file the N-400 while still married, based on 3 years as a PR. In order to continue on that path, you'd need to still be married and living your joint life together by the time you have the interview, and then again by the time you take the oath ceremony. If you are no longer married by those times, you no longer qualify, and would have to refile the N-400 after 5 years as a PR, so you'd be wasting money.

When not married to a USC, you would be eligible for citizenship 5 years after becoming a PR. So it would make sense to wait until after the divorce to file the N-400 based on 5 years as a PR.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2020, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess my biggest concern as a PR is maintaining that status outwith marriage so I don't get kicked out the country. Am I safe?
Old Apr 25th 2020, 3:50 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are safe IMO. As with any waiver, there is a theoretical chance of being denied and deported, and in the days of Trump there may well be more scrutiny, but ultimately you only have to show that the marriage was entered into in good faith.

Start gathering evidence right now.

You can look at my previous threads to see what I submitted for my I-751 packet. It was a doorstep of stuff, and I was approved without an interview.

EDIT: Here was my list from early 2015.

1. Petition
2. Green Card (Front & Back)
3. Divorce Decree (PENDING)
4. Lease agreements showing a physical joint maintained residence for the period between arriving in the US and Divorce
5. 2013 Federal Income Tax Return (Married Filing Jointly)
6. 2013 State of Georgia Income Tax Return (Married Filing Jointly)
7. Ongoing City Power Bills for the maintained residence, in joint names.
8. Ongoing Windstream Wireless Bills for the maintained residence, in joint names.
9. Ongoing joint Bank Statements from Community Bank & Trust (Later South State Bank) for both Checking ‘Bill’ Account and Savings Account.
10. Statement from employer of benefit elections showing her as beneficiary up until divorce
11. Copy of her Passport, proving that she took my last name upon marriage.
12. Photos of us during the course of the marriage, with annotations on back regarding dates, including during recent trip to New York taken in September 2014.
13. E-Mails between her & Myself at our joint place of work discussing both work and personal matters.
14. E-Mail printouts from Delta Airlines regarding booking and check-in for flights to and from New York in September 2014

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 25th 2020 at 3:53 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 3:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not as such. I just lost my job in law enforcement and have no other career behind me. I literally have no one in this entire country now. As my divorce is unlikely to happen in the next several months, would I still be able to apply for citizenship and change the marital status during that process?

That is not true. You have your child[ren]. Are you willing to leave them and return to the UK or leave them while you seek a life without them in another state? You are not alone.

I'm sorry to hear of your relationship difficulties. I'm not asking what the circumstances are but I know that you have had several problems with retaining employment and now with no job and the SIP, emotions are all out of whack. Perhaps things will look different once SIP is removed and you and she aren't locked into a single home together.

As for your naturalization application, you have to still be in a viable and existing marriage. There is nothing to stop you from filing today if you are still living together sharing a home and finances, etc. But all you would be doing is prolonging the process. If your naturalization application called for you to attend the interview before your 5th year as a PR and you were no longer married legally, then your application would be rejected and you will be forced to start again at the back of line. So what is the point? Consult an attorney.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

He is my step son and once this is over I won't see him again.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 7:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Not as such. I just lost my job in law enforcement and have no other career behind me.
Obviously with the current loss of tax dollars and other income it is like looking into a crystal ball to know who will be hiring. But under normal circumstances Portland PD in Oregon are about 100 officers short and were desperate to recruit. The requirement in Oregon is you must be able to get your citizenship within 18 months of employment. Could at the least be worth asking them what their current recruiting situation is.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute

You could give the Orlando Florida area a go and there's plenty of Brits around. It's under the 'please stay at home' order but there's still a regular crowd of Brits that meet on Sundays for the weekly golf exercise. Some have certainly been through or still are going through similar experiences to you. Not easy, my wife left here some years ago and returned to the UK....good luck!
Old Apr 25th 2020, 7:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Facebook are hiring risk analysis/escalation positions available in Austin. I'm aware of ex-police being hired for these positions.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm looking at Houston. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 26th 2020, 12:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

There’s a fairly in-depth analysis here.
Old Apr 26th 2020, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

https://uhs.taleo.net/careersection/...tal=8100120292

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.