Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

My AOS Process (so far)

My AOS Process (so far)

Old Nov 1st 2016, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute
Default My AOS Process (so far)

Hi all,

Been a long time since I posted anything!
I moved to the USA in earlier this year on a K-1 visa.

Happily got married sent off the paperwork and it was received a few days later.

10/17/2016 - Confirmed that package was received
10/19/2016 - I797C's received (1 each for EAD, AP & AOS)
10/22/2016 - Letter confirming Biometrics appointment for early November.

I'll keep this updated as it goes along.

I know times vary a huge amount depending on if the case does get sent out to a field office. But does anyone know how long recent cases have gone through? I would be thinking around the 8-9 months mark (hopefully less!)

What is my status now? I entered on K-1, got married, I-94 will expire end of November so I assume I am in a legal limbo? Hoping to get admitted to college in the meantime so just wondered if this would be a hindrance since I am still here legally but my 90 day visa would have expired by start time.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 9:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My AOS Process (so far)

Your K-1 was null and void with the date of the wedding or if you had not married on the last day marked on your I-94. So your I-94 has absolutely no meaning at this time.

Your I-797 is your visual proof of your being allowed to legally live in the US until the I-485 is adjudicated and when you get your EAD that will be the proof that you are allowed to work in the US.

No clue what the timeline is for the adjudication of the I-485. It will happen when it happens.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 10:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Typical AOS right now is around 6 months, I think.

Your status is "Pending Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident" (which is not going to be an option on any kind of forms or paperwork. lol).

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2016, 10:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Have to ask .... what is early this year? January/February/March? Even if March and you had to marry in June, it took you a while to file the I-485. Anyway, glad you did and you are back in status once again. You are out of status between the wedding and the filing and its receipt.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for you responses.

I should have phrased it better really. I came to the USA on August 26th and got married September 16th so I was in status when filing.

As long as I'm still classed as legal here, I'm sure the college would be ok with it. Something I will need to ask them.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

10/17/2016 - Confirmed that package was received
10/19/2016 - I797C's received (1 each for EAD, AP & AOS)
10/22/2016 - Letter confirming Biometrics appointment for early November.
11/10/2016 - Biometrics completed.

Biometrics were completed today.

I went to the Boise, ID USCIS office and it went fairly quickly.
Essentially you go through airport security again, give them your documents that they request you bring on the I-797C and wait for them to call you.

I only waited around 5 minutes before filling out another form with all my necessary information such as DOB, country of birth, alien number and any Application/Petition/Request numbers.

Once that was given it was a 15 minute wait until they called me in again and had a good talk with the people in there whilst the people in the other room were doing their citizenship oaths.

They first had me sign, then took my fingerprints and then my photo. Once all that was done I was wished all the best for my application going forward and sent on my way.

In and out within an hour.
Now the long wait until I hear anything more!
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:43 am
Just Joined

MetaRidley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for updating - Hopefully things move quickly for you!

We filed/mailed my application today - I've been here since 2010 on an L1-a visa which has about a year left on it (British Citizen). Employer was supportive in filing an AOS for me but with certain conditions (which is understandable, return on investment etc) which I wasn't comfortable with, so my USC wife and I decided to take the family based route.

As we are a month or so apart will be interesting to see how things progress for both of us, I'm in Colorado.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MetaRidley
Thanks for updating - Hopefully things move quickly for you!
Thank you! I hope so too, I really want it to go by quick for so many reasons

As we are a month or so apart will be interesting to see how things progress for both of us, I'm in Colorado.
It will be interesting to see how our application timeline differs. We may just be a month apart then! I hope it goes quickly for you!
Old Dec 11th 2016, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

I received me biometrics notice yesterday, but typically it's scheduled for when we'll be in the UK for Christmas.

I'm going to attempt a walk-in tomorrow before I re-schedule, I'm happy to wait around all day if I have to. I'll take our flight details with me as a bit of evidence, I take it there is some flexibility with this kind of thing?
Old Dec 11th 2016, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to attempt a walk-in tomorrow before I re-schedule...
Don't bother rescheduling. Go in early, or after you return... so long as you have the appointment letter it's likely you'll be fine.

Ian
Old Dec 11th 2016, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

I'm going to attempt a walk-in tomorrow before I re-schedule, I'm happy to wait around all day if I have to. I'll take our flight details with me as a bit of evidence, I take it there is some flexibility with this kind of thing?
Try what Ian said. You will likely be okay. If not you can reschedule and if I remember right, there is a phone number you can call on the Biometrics notice to reschedule.

All the best!
Old Dec 11th 2016, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both - I'll head over tomorrow AM and see, if I am turned away the only thing I've lost is a little of my time and I can reschedule the appointment.

Any news/movement on your application Smartyy?
Old Dec 11th 2016, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Any news/movement on your application Smartyy?
Nothing yet I'm afraid. I've signed up to USCIS for email and text notifications so hopefully I hear something soon.

My EAD/AP document 90 day mark is mid-January so hoping I hear something soon!
Old Dec 12th 2016, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Fingers crossed you hear something soon, would be a nice Christmas gift I'm sure!

Biometrics walk in was no problem at all (as predicted) I did have my flight conformation with me indicating I'd be away on the date of my appointment but I think I would have been fine anyway. Was in and out in under 30 mins.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Would be a great Christmas present! But every other form I have submitted waited until the very last week before I heard anything so I'm not expecting anything soon. I can hope though!

Glad the Biometrics went well, now the long wait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.