Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Must have or most useful products?

Must have or most useful products?

Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must have or most useful products?

Originally Posted by Juswus
For the dog, the "Goughnut". This is a dog that destroys the super tough Nylabones in an hour or so, and Kongs do not interest him in the slightest. But he's had his goughnut for over a year and it's just starting to show wear and tear. If he ever chomps through to the red interior they will replace it for free. He has a spare for the car and also a Goughstick that can be used separately or shoved into the goughnut to make a more interesting toy. Trust me they are worth the money.
Where do you get the Goughnut's? Our dogs need those.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:38 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
What must have electronic item do you have in a car for long trips??

I've got a 3000 mile trip coming up soon and I've got an amazon gift card.
Originally Posted by nettlebed
I've not read or seen any of the Harry Potter collection! Not the biggest Sci-Fi fan in the world either!

I was thinking more along the lines of a portable DVD player or something to keep a 22 month old happy for a long, long, tedious trip. Or maybe something to keep me happy!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:03 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Where do you get the Goughnut's? Our dogs need those.
We have the "extreme ring" the "extreme stick" and the "original ring"
I've just seen they now do a ball too, so will definately be getting that. They're expensive, but for a toy that Bulldog jaws havent damaged in a year that is priceless.

I've bought from this company before and they were very good.

http://www.k9tuff.com/products.asp?m...FcqC5Qod42PSow

But here is the actual people that make them....not sure if you have to buy from them in order to get the lifetime guarantee. And this website has all the technical info about them:

http://www.goughnuts.com/GoughNuts.php
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:48 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

For my son:

An old excer-saucer that was given to us by my son's first nurse. It was about five years old when we inherited it, and in excellent condition. My son has used it since he was about five months old (so for 14 months now) and it's nearly dead from over-use! Honestly, we would have trouble living without this piece of equipment now.

For my husband:

An XBOX 360. Single most-important purchase he ever made (other than our wedding rings ). The game selection is fantastic, and I love being able to stream Netflix to it directly. Season 5 of Bones, here I come...

For me:

My laptop and USB sticks. Or my planner/diary. It's weird: I love to use electronics for all my work stuff (copyediting, proofreading, writing) instead of ink and paper, but I cannot bear using electronic calendars. I bought a phone with a scheduler feature and I've never even opened up the window.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Can't manage being without my Kindle., Had it 2 years now, have hundreds of books on it and it goes everywhere with me. Not to mention the 3G on it so I can check my emails on it too.
The best for me was sitting in a car on a 12 hr journey and being able to download books, blog and a magazine.

My daughter just got one and we share an Amazon account so we have permanent access to each others books, without having to use the Lend feature. Of course, we get books from other sites too, low cost or free pdfs, and there are always many author promos with very cheap ebooks through their websites.

Not sure why someone said the novels are expensive and once you've read them they are gone. I have over 350 books, spent no more than $100 on them - I've read twice as many and spent 1/4 my usual book budget. Not to mention that they don't wear out like cheap paperbacks or start messing with my dust allergy in a few years, like paper books do. And I can read no-handed, stroking the cat with one hand and drinking a glass of wine with the other. Perfect

Last edited by danfan; Jan 10th 2011 at 11:37 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What must have electronic item do you have in a car for long trips??

I've got a 3000 mile trip coming up soon and I've got an amazon gift card.
If you've got kids, then a dvd player for the headrests...
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Not sure why someone said the novels are expensive and once you've read them they are gone. I have over 350 books, spent no more than $100 on them ...
Some are more expensive though and I think considering there isn't as much in the manufacturing to them, it's a bit cheeky how some of them are being priced...that and you can't really lend them around like a paper book....and if Amazon do want to yank a book, they can and have.

Still awesome devices though....but would be nice if printed books came with a download code to get a digital book for free like you do with movies these days, that would be a nice touch
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:16 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
If you've got kids, then a dvd player for the headrests...
She's rear facing still, so I thought about getting a ceiling mounted one but I'm not sure I want to take a drill to the car! That's the only way I can see it being attached!

Something like this
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:22 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

This is something else I love, Laser Cut Tea Strainer
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:34 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

She's rear facing still, so I thought about getting a ceiling mounted one but I'm not sure I want to take a drill to the car! That's the only way I can see it being attached!

Something like this
Isn't she 22 months? Is she over 20lb?

You can switch her to forward-facing, if so.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:46 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Originally Posted by gingerert
Isn't she 22 months? Is she over 20lb?

You can switch her to forward-facing, if so.
It's really safer to have them re facing as long as possible! Its really inconvenient but a lot safer!

Here's another must have item if you're moving car seats from one car to the other often.

Link

It wasn't until I saw a cop sat on top of my car seat pulling it tight that I realized how loose our car seat was, and I really thought it was tight!!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:55 pm
Ginger Monkey

It's really safer to have them re facing as long as possible! Its really inconvenient but a lot safer!

Here's another must have item if you're moving car seats from one car to the other often.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...500_AA300_.jpg

Link

It wasn't until I saw a cop sat on top of my car seat pulling it tight that I realized how loose our car seat was, and I really thought it was tight!!
I agree that's it's safer, but my child out-grew his rear-facing car seat at 11 months, and we waited out the extra month with reluctance. Golly, when I think about trying to squeeze him into his teeny-tiny baby carrier now... His knees would be bent, his head would stick out the top, and he'd be bored senseless back there.

I've never even come close to having an accident, thank God (touch wood, with all the snow on the ground today), and I just couldn't justify putting him through that much discomfort every time we travelled, on the exceedingly rare chance we'd crash.

But, each to their own.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

This is something else I love, Laser Cut Tea Strainer
Teavana is a bit mental, but they do have some lovely tea and gear

Oh and if the car seat is in the middle of the car, rear/front facing doesn't make that much difference if they're 20 odd pounds.

And yeah, putting in a seat, you've really got to jump in on the buggers to squeeze the air out of the seat padding.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

My Verizon Droid 2 Global...with video service....catch up on TV shows whenever, hand it over to my 3 year old on long trips so he can watch Nick Jr or talk to Talking Tom Cat...
And this http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Techno...d=VC2ZNWRPIMVH

It goes into the lighter slot in your car and then you can plug in whatever you want...
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:32 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Originally Posted by AlienUk
My Verizon Droid 2 Global...with video service....catch up on TV shows whenever, hand it over to my 3 year old on long trips so he can watch Nick Jr or talk to Talking Tom Cat...
And this http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Techno...d=VC2ZNWRPIMVH

It goes into the lighter slot in your car and then you can plug in whatever you want...
Cool, our matrix has a regular outlet thankfully but the Subaru we're taking on the long trip does not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.