Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Must have or most useful products?

Must have or most useful products?

Old Dec 31st 2010, 11:36 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must have or most useful products?

Originally Posted by Bob
I just read that about Kindle, but it's a one time lend of 14 days which is a bit meh, but least it allows the book to be read on other devices which is nice.

Wondering how well this reads in low light conditions, the Nook can be back lit right? But the kindle isn't? So if you had a book torch and reading under the sheets kind of thing in bed, how easy is it to read?
I have a little light thing for my nook which works great. Mine's not backlit but it may be an option on the newer models
Old Dec 31st 2010, 11:45 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Wondering how well this reads in low light conditions, the Nook can be back lit right? But the kindle isn't? So if you had a book torch and reading under the sheets kind of thing in bed, how easy is it to read?
The display technology used in Kindle and the Nook is eInk, which can't be backlit.

However, since the screens are reflective, any light source will do, such as a clip on book light.

However, you can get a rather nice (though not cheap) case for the latest model of Kindle that has a handy built-in light. The light is powered from the device itself, and needs no batteries or charging. I have one of these, and it really does work.

Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty nifty!

Now do they both have the Stephen Hawking text to voice option? Think they do don't they? But how good is that?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:46 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The absolute one thing I DO NOT WANT is a kindle or any other type of "reader". I prefer to own a book and take my time and pleasure in reading it and then passing it on to others and then others and then others and then donate to the Vets Hospital or VFW. Cannot do that with a kindle. They are expensive, the "novels" are outrageously expensive, and then they are gone.
Problem is, I hope you like the old stuff. Because I'd predict the printed stuff for the vast majority of trashy novels will be otherwise virtually unavailable in the next five years or so.

And if you get a spiffy new Nook Color, you can irritate the wife by the changing movies playing on the HTPC even while her ladyship holds the remote.

Last edited by fatbrit; Jan 1st 2011 at 1:00 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:49 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
We have this kettle since we like different types of tea. Very fast!
Wow, looks amazing! Thanks.
Yes. Kindle is better. AND Amazon.com is more stable as a company than B&N.
Good point!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 12:50 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And the CV, the missus, her grand mother has one, the original from the show home back in the 60's or 70's...still works but it sounds like a jet plane and the whole house shakes when it is on
Old Jan 1st 2011, 2:14 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Now do they both have the Stephen Hawking text to voice option? Think they do don't they? But how good is that?
Yes, there is text-to-voice. It's better than Stephen Hawking, but it's not yet, say, Martin Jarvis.

It is definitely listenable, but if you are an avid audio book fan, it's worth knowing that Kindle also has a built in MP3 player, and is compatible with anything bought from Audible.com (Audible.com is an Amazon.com subsidiary).

Not every book has text-to-voice enabled, though: when the feature was originally available it was set up for everything, but the publishers screamed bloody murder, and now it is up to them to decide whether t2v is enabled or not, just like the fact that the published sets the price. On both the detail page for items on the website, or the detail page on the device itself it is clearly stated whether t2v is enabled, and also whether the publisher set the price.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 2:19 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you mentioned the flip camcorder thingy. I loved my little canon digital camera. Tiny enough to go in a pocket but can switch between photo and video with one switch (well it did until i dropped the bugger). It means i take short movies of the kids all the time - something i never did with the old camcorder.

my microsoft trackball. i used to get sore arms and wrists all the time - but since i switched to a trackball i never do. and it means i dont have to clear a big space on my desk as the thing doesnt move.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 2:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is text-to-voice. It's better than Stephen Hawking, but it's not yet, say, Martin Jarvis.

It is definitely listenable, but if you are an avid audio book fan, it's worth knowing that Kindle also has a built in MP3 player, and is compatible with anything bought from Audible.com (Audible.com is an Amazon.com subsidiary).
I was only asking because though I'm not really into audio books, would be nice to have the book and be able to listen to it whilst on a car ride and then read the story else where rather than get a specific audio book for whatever.

So this t2v is only on specific books, that's a shame, so not able to read off pdf's, even if you convert them?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 3:12 am
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by Bob
I was only asking because though I'm not really into audio books, would be nice to have the book and be able to listen to it whilst on a car ride and then read the story else where rather than get a specific audio book for whatever.

So this t2v is only on specific books, that's a shame, so not able to read off pdf's, even if you convert them?
t2v is on by default, unless the publisher has specifically disallowed it: if you convert the PDF to Kindle format, t2v will work.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I really like my iPod and primarily use it at work. If someone is having a loud conversation near my desk and I find it distracting, the iPod goes on. If I'm working on a rather solitary task, the iPod goes on. It really helps me focus and makes the day more enjoyable.

As pet owners, a must have for us is what we call "tape rollies", though there has to be a better solution out there!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:28 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
you mentioned the flip camcorder thingy. I loved my little canon digital camera. Tiny enough to go in a pocket but can switch between photo and video with one switch (well it did until i dropped the bugger). It means i take short movies of the kids all the time - something i never did with the old camcorder.

my microsoft trackball. i used to get sore arms and wrists all the time - but since i switched to a trackball i never do. and it means i dont have to clear a big space on my desk as the thing doesnt move.
I thought these things had gone out of style - I remember a big square Kensigton trackball that was available several years back (maybe in the late 90's?) and thinking at the time that it was a good idea, but I never tried it. I get a lot of right wrist problems (no jokes, please!), due largely to sitting at a computer for 6-10 hours every day - what model trackball do you use? I Googled Microsoft trackball and Wikipedia says the following:

"Microsoft was a major producer, but has since discontinued all of its products. The Microsoft Trackball Explorer continues to be extremely popular (it has no analogous design in production by another company), with used models selling for ~$200 on ebay."

There seems to be two different types - one type looks like the old square Kensington model, the other is almost like a mouse, but with a little ball on the left (thumb) side.

I'd give it a try if you think it helps with wrist pain and weakness. Maybe I can get one off eBay or Gumtree and try it out.

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 1st 2011 at 11:31 am.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 3:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Problem is, I hope you like the old stuff. Because I'd predict the printed stuff for the vast majority of trashy novels will be otherwise virtually unavailable in the next five years or so.
I know. Ain't that the bithc. Since I'm not a strictly trashy novel reading it isn't a great problem.

And if you get a spiffy new Nook Color, you can irritate the wife by the changing movies playing on the HTPC even while her ladyship holds the remote.

Don't have a wife but do have a husband. Only have a TV and a DVR. Can't record either and not missing it. Don't know what the hell an HTPC is and don't watch movies on the computer either. Fortunately, hubby feels like myself, we couldn't care less.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 4:20 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I thought these things had gone out of style - I remember a big square Kensigton trackball that was available several years back (maybe in the late 90's?) and thinking at the time that it was a good idea, but I never tried it. I get a lot of right wrist problems (no jokes, please!), due largely to sitting at a computer for 6-10 hours every day - what model trackball do you use? I Googled Microsoft trackball and Wikipedia says the following:
Ithe one i have looks a bit like this..
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...30806&csid=_21 Its large enough that my whole hand basically sits on it and I just move my thumb for the trackball.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I would think things like the Kindle have a positive environmental impact. To produce books (down go some trees) and then transport those books all around the globe must have some sort of detriment to the environment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.