Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Must Fiancee Live in Country of Citizenship during I-129 Petition?

Wikiposts

Must Fiancee Live in Country of Citizenship during I-129 Petition?

Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

mark102777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Must Fiancee Live in Country of Citizenship during I-129 Petition?

I appreciate the fast response on my first question!

Another one:

My girlfriend/future fiancée is a Philippine citizen who is living and working in Japan. She is a permanent resident of Japan (but not Japanese citizen).

Can she continue to live and work in Japan while we file the petition, or does she have to be in the Philippines during that time?

I appreciate any knowledge. I tried to do a search, both on this forum and on the internet, and couldn’t really find any information on this subject.

Thanks!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must Fiancee Live in Country of Citizenship during I-129 Petition?

No, she does not have to live in her country of birth for the K-1. However, please note that she will need a police clearance certificate from any country that she lived in after the age of 16. There are some exceptions and they are listed on the USCIS website.

Originally Posted by mark102777

Another one:

My girlfriend/future fiancée is a Philippine citizen who is living and working in Japan. She is a permanent resident of Japan (but not Japanese citizen).

Can she continue to live and work in Japan while we file the petition, or does she have to be in the Philippines during that time?

I appreciate any knowledge. I tried to do a search, both on this forum and on the internet, and couldn’t really find any information on this subject.

Thanks!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Must Fiancee Live in Country of Citizenship during I-129 Petition?

Originally Posted by mark102777

Another one:

Thanks!

The 3rd country processing is not a problem if she is a legal resident in Japan; we did a 3rd country case and I've since read of many.

google for the 'asawa' forums that deal specifically with PI cases. I don't know if she needs to get additional clearance from the PI in order to move permanently to the US, but I know they do have such a thing there.