Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

moving to the USA with my American wife.

moving to the USA with my American wife.

Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Britlec1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to the USA with my American wife.

hi,

I have posted before on this website, but we are now more serious than ever about moving to the usa to start a new life.

I am a UKC and my wife is a USC, and we are looking to move to Texas.

we would be going down the DCF route and filing in London.

we would be using my sister inlaw as a joint sponsor so that` we can go together and not be apart.

what are the requirements to be a sponsor ? I know she will meet the minimum financial requirements to support us, but does she need to send in bank documents and pay slips etc? what are the minimum requirements she needs to meet other than income?

also, me and the wife have been looking tonight after a few beers, and it seems the process should cost around the $2k mark for all the forms etc... does this sound right?

any help is appreciated.

thanks,

tom
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to the USA with my American wife.

Originally Posted by Britlec1992
what are the requirements to be a sponsor ? I know she will meet the minimum financial requirements to support us, but does she need to send in bank documents and pay slips etc? what are the minimum
requirements she needs to meet other than income?
Other than meeting the income requirements, she needs to be a USC or US PR and be living in the USA. Your sister in law will want to look at the I-864 form and instructions, along with the I-864P for the minimum income/asset requirements. All the information she needs to know is there on those forms. Found at www.uscis.gov.

also, me and the wife have been looking tonight after a few beers, and it seems the process should cost around the $2k mark for all the forms etc... does this sound right?
That sounds about right. Don't forget to factor in the cost of the medical exam, ACRO police certificate, and travel to/from London if necessary.

Rene
Old Jan 6th 2019, 12:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Also your sister-in-law should be aware that she is to the I-864, if your wife cannot reimburse the government for means tested benefits received by you, for up to ten years; you leave the US and relinquish your PR status; you are stripped of your status; you die and your estate is settled; or you work 40 quarters under social security. Your wife will complete the I-864 also and she is your main financial sponsor. Your SIL is the joint sponsor.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

From your earlier posts it would appear your wife has been in the UK since. Has she taken out her British naturalisation?

Even if she is on Indefinite Leave to Remain, once out of the UK for two years or more that will lapse. Should you ever wish to return to the UK again, you'll have to start the immigration process all over again - and it's much more onerous than when you first applied.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

scar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just gone through this process with my american wife and we too are moving to Texas. I had my medical & interview last week and got approved :-)

The whole process cost about £1800 including travel to and from London (& night in a hotel) for medical/interview. We took our time a little but the whole process took us 7 months.