Moving to the USA

Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

ashler2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the USA

Hi all,
I've been reading different posts regarding moving to the US, but there is so much information, i'm just wondering if someone can help explain things simply to me.
So, i will be hopefully immigrating Via spousal visa, K-1 to get married in the USA and adjust status from there. I just have a few questions, the Sponsor part of the Visa, how does this work? (i'm really confused.) My partner doesn't make enough money, partly because shes still a student. what are my other options.
Also would it be easier to get married over here and then file a different form for a green card?
If there are more posts like this can you point me in that direction.

- i'm from the UK, Partner US citizen, Work visa very unlikely.
Thanks for you help.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA

For the I-134 (visa application) any US citizen or LPR can be the sponsor. Perhaps her parents?

For I-864 (adjustment of status), its similar similar, but your wife will be sponsor and can have a joint sponsor.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved your thread to the marriage based visa forum, where all the posts here deal with your questions.

Our wiki guide also has good information.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2018, 10:29 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

If money is already an issue at this stage, you might want to consider getting married first and doing a CR-1. It's cheaper and enables you to work immediately. You do realize with a K-1 you will be unable to work for 3 months or more, don't you? Added to the fact that you will have a sizable fee to pay after the marriage to adjust your status to permanent resident. Do you have a good amount of savings? The London embassy does allow K-1s to self-sponsor. Would be a shame though to use your savings just to pay the bills and put food on the table when you arrive.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
If money is already an issue at this stage, you might want to consider getting married first and doing a CR-1. It's cheaper and enables you to work immediately. You do realize with a K-1 you will be unable to work for 3 months or more, don't you? Added to the fact that you will have a sizable fee to pay after the marriage to adjust your status to permanent resident. Do you have a good amount of savings? The London embassy does allow K-1s to self-sponsor. Would be a shame though to use your savings just to pay the bills and put food on the table when you arrive.
Regarding the I-765, the current wait time is closer to 4-5 months. Just wanted to make sure people knew what they were getting into, because it's a tough wait. Fortunately mine took about 75 ish days, but the past couple of months they've been taking longer.